Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my MYLR 20" up today.
Thanks for the update. Good to read your experience.
Im no expert as waiting for my first Tesla in a few days. However, there are plenty of YouTube videos showing the rear camera on whilst driving, so it is possible!

As others have said, cameras need calibration before autopilot works. Also, many settings need enabling in the menus, so perhaps check the driver assists are all turned on?

Reactions: artificial
Are you sure it’s not in there? It’s right up on the left side of the glove box at the top. You have to crouch down to see it.
Thanks mate. Went out now to have a look again, and yes it is indeed there. Took me an embarrassingly long moment to recognise the USB stick for what it was. I expected something just lying around 🤥

I have rhetorically been asking my kids why children are so bad and looking for things.. seems maybe it is heritable.

OK tried adjusting the volume with no joy still not ringing when a call comes through 🤷‍♂️ I have however worked out that going to the Bluetooth connection on iPhone and setting device type as "other" means my apple watch actually vibrates now. It's still annoying me that music doesn't pause and phone actually rings when a call comes in. I'll try and mess around some more probably at the weekend now
Thanks for the tip, at least I now get a vibration on my watch to alert me to the call

Reactions: Sparky750
So, one week of ownership, played a bit with the car, obviously. App tells me I've put around 87kWh inside, battery level is currently back at 50%, so same level I took it in...
And I've only been able to do 210 miles with it. (vs 351mi WLTP). Energy screen confirms 309W/mi avg..
Should I be disappointed? Learning curve in economy driving maybe?

Granted I played a bit with Sentry while not at home & have Intelligent Octopus which are two good sources of idle drain..

So, one week of ownership, played a bit with the car, obviously. App tells me I've put around 87kWh inside, battery level is currently back at 50%, so same level I took it in...
And I've only been able to do 210 miles with it. (vs 351mi WLTP). Energy screen confirms 309W/mi avg..
Should I be disappointed? Learning curve in economy driving maybe?

Granted I played a bit with Sentry while not at home & have Intelligent Octopus which are two good sources of idle drain..
I've not got mine yet (8 days to go) but I imagine the temptation of trying the full-throttle acceleration when possible/safe is hard to resist for the first few days. That will kill efficiency.

I'm at 313 wh collected Saturday 360 Miles and I've not exactly been driving for economy plus sentry is on all day whilst I'm at work which won't help. However it's a lot cheaper than the petrol or diesel cars I was using for work. Overall I'm really pleased with the car just wish my bloody all weather mats would turn up from aliexpress I'm very close to just buying Amazon ones, the carpet ones included seem like magnets for bits of leaves etc 🤦‍♂️😂

Interesting perspective and made me stop and think. My perception is that one of their key USP is the tech but not the quality, reliability etc. yet to experience (T-2). What would you say it is better at than others like LR/BMW?
On tech that the Tesla has, I’d say that the LR equivalent of autopilot was much better, as is BMWs system in the X7. For instance, if following a lane and indicating, the LR would smoothly disengage, not the jolt that the Tesla often gives. Once in the next Lane, the LR sensors would realise this and would reengage the system - in the Tesla you have to do that manually. In stop start traffic, the LR was way smoother - I’d never use the Tesla system in stop start traffic as it’s like having a learner driver lurching along in first gear.

I also prefer blind spot lights in the mirrors, where you have to look when making a direction change - albeit the on screen monitor is a half decent workaround but a long way from where you’re looking.

Then there is what the Tesla simply doesn’t have - a HUD is a marvellous feature, getting more advanced all the time, whilst Tesla doesn’t have even a basic one. Cooled seats, adaptive lights, gesture tailgate. Lots of things missing.

I’ll say again that I love the car - I just don’t buy that it’s at the technology cutting edge beyond the drivetrain.

• Informative
Reactions: WllXM and Benotomy
On tech that the Tesla has, I’d say that the LR equivalent of autopilot was much better, as is BMWs system in the X7. For instance, if following a lane and indicating, the LR would smoothly disengage, not the jolt that the Tesla often gives. Once in the next Lane, the LR sensors would realise this and would reengage the system - in the Tesla you have to do that manually. In stop start traffic, the LR was way smoother - I’d never use the Tesla system in stop start traffic as it’s like having a learner driver lurching along in first gear.

I also prefer blind spot lights in the mirrors, where you have to look when making a direction change - albeit the on screen monitor is a half decent workaround but a long way from where you’re looking.

Then there is what the Tesla simply doesn’t have - a HUD is a marvellous feature, getting more advanced all the time, whilst Tesla doesn’t have even a basic one. Cooled seats, adaptive lights, gesture tailgate. Lots of things missing.

I’ll say again that I love the car - I just don’t buy that it’s at the technology cutting edge beyond the drivetrain.

I'd agree with all of that compared to our XC90 as well, cooled seats where lovely and the autopilot thing was better on the volvo. However I am really pleased I made the swap and I'm enjoying the car immensely good fun when I want it yet effortless. I haven't had the jerky experience using autopilot in traffic 🤷‍♂️ the gap left is bigger than I'd like and I see no way to change it 🤷‍♂️ I have EAP though does that change things 🤷‍♂️. Compared to a JLR car I had a rangerover sport before the volvo a full fat petrol supercharged one, the tesla is more expensive to run than that was purely because my RR spent most of its life on the back of a recovery truck 🤦‍♂️😆 swore me off JLR for life that car.

Graduated today, meet Yolanda!

Turned up to NEC about an hour early, no queue or issue with me having turned up so early. Not very clearly signed so I went round the houses a bit, YMMV if you’re more observant than me.

The staff there were very good, polished off some residual marks from protective stickers without a grumble. No sign of swirls, scratches or panel gaps.

There is a tiny air bubble under the right ppf, which I’ve booked in to replace via a service request in the app. This can’t be done onsite, which is a shame.

As with all the others, luggage cover, granny charger and mudflaps all present and correct.

The car itself is amazing, coming from a Golf R the ride is like being transported on a magic carpet! Need to calm down the acceleration as my consumption so far is appalling - but who’s wouldn’t be on day 1?!

Will have a proper play with it in due course, but the summary is it was well worth the wait and I’m pleased with my colour choice.

Edit: - having the car in the flesh I now see it with the number plate holders, they’re awful! 😂 will be doing something about those in due course…

Attachments

• 97367DCF-0189-49D5-A089-998993903B5A.jpeg
    97367DCF-0189-49D5-A089-998993903B5A.jpeg
    856.3 KB · Views: 83
So my car was delivered yesterday, can’t find any issues with the body work and all accessories present.

Loving the car so far, and like others not getting great efficiency due to heavy right foot.

One issue I have found is the black type 2 power cable wouldn’t work with certain EV chargers (had to borrow a colleagues M3 blue cable), but yesterday charged fine at a different type of EV Charger, so very strange. Anyone else had any issues with the black Type 2 cable?

029D1AF6-B19F-4C84-9627-0D568933F9CE.jpeg

Bit you are comparing a top-series car (the X7) vs a mid-range car in the Model Y. The Model X would be the more direct range (if not price) comparison to an X7. Although the X7 starts at £83k so perhaps closer in price to the X too

Reactions: EV-Head and QuanTim
For those who already have their Q3 cards what type of USB port is in the glovebox. Looking to replace the provided USB stick which will quickly fail under continuous writes with a card reader and a Sandisk Max Endurance card. But do I need a USB A or USB C reader?

For those who already have their Q3 cards what type of USB port is in the glovebox. Looking to replace the provided USB stick which will quickly fail under continuous writes with a card reader and a Sandisk Max Endurance card. But do I need a USB A or USB C reader?
USB A in the glove box of mine collected last Saturday