Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't get round to cleaning it but here she is. My opinion on the wipers has changed, they are fine on auto just more water on the screen that I would like but I'm getting used to it.
My wipers seem to have a mind of their own when set to Auto. They activate when there is no rain and went crazy when driving into low sun on a dry day. I had a visit from a Tesla technician today to adjust a slightly out of alignment headlight and when I asked him about the wiper issue he said that his car does the same thing and you just have to live with it!

My wipers seem to have a mind of their own when set to Auto. They activate when there is no rain and went crazy when driving into low sun on a dry day. I had a visit from a Tesla technician today to adjust a slightly out of alignment headlight and when I asked him about the wiper issue he said that his car does the same thing and you just have to live with it!
🤷🏽‍♂️

I will say I’ve also had a few random wiper starts in dry weather (2-3) and when it was raining it was on full speed which was way over the top, so auto seems a wacky.

I’m also a bit unsure if I’m dazzling drivers sometimes. I’ve got auto full beams off now, but even so, these are bright. I must read the manual at some point.

All in all though, very happy. My wife took it to work yesterday, and if checking the parking out on live sentry mode is wrong, I don’t want to be right 😂

(I also checked my own surroundings in the evening when I took one of the kids to swimming class with a tricky car park, very handy).

Delivery day for me, and woke up to this from Tesla,

Tesla Update - Unfortunately the Model Y assigned to your order has not passed the pre-delivery inspection and therefore will not arrive on it's scheduled delivery date. We will be in touch when we have an update. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Absolutely fuming 🤬🤬🤬🤬
I'd cry! From what a couple of others have said, Tesla didn't take long to call them back and say they had them another car. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you, hopefully it's a minor issue that they can fix soon or they find you a cancellation straight away.

I'm also guessing you've been on the phone to them, or are about to?

Tesla Update - Unfortunately the Model Y assigned to your order has not passed the pre-delivery inspection and therefore will not arrive on it's scheduled delivery date. We will be in touch when we have an update. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Absolutely fuming 🤬🤬🤬🤬
Fingers crossed this gets sorted soon.

Is it me or this seems to be happening a fair bit this quarter?

Reactions: Sparkie1968

Absolutely fuming 🤬🤬🤬🤬
Ah that’s a shame. I had to wait two weeks for the next ship to get mine back on track. Hopefully they can source quickly.
Mine is this friday but as I’ve been let down before i refuse to believe it will happen.

Reactions: Sparkie1968
OK, started with the email at Tesla at 08:30 with the eSign documents, followed by a text and a call from the driver advising he was 30 minutes away (arrived at 09:10 apparently the M8 is a disaster this morning).

Everything looks good - little grubby from the journey and some small bubbles on the rear passenger film (not spoken to Tesla yet). Was waiting to install an update, so let it rip with that, stuck it on charge and back to work. I'll try and get clear and have a play at lunchtime.

For other Scottish deliveries, the driver has another three deliveries - with the last one in Aberdeen, so somebody could be in for a late one!
PXL_20220927_082753855.jpg
PXL_20220927_082805321.jpg

Buying a Tesla is a roller-coaster ride. I had a call at 19.00 last night to tell me my car would not be available for collection today. I had a call at 08:00 this morning to say my car now would be available for collection today but please wait for for a further call to confirm the time. I'm waiting.

I shall try to remember! First thing that I think is worth saying - I just received a text that pick up is self-service. I presume that means it will be tricky to find a representative if there are any issues - though I still have to sign for it so there must be someone around. Feels a little bit like they are trying to hurry you away even if you find any minor problems. However, fingers crossed it is all good.
I took delivery by “self-service” in Q2 at Bristol. My experience was that there were plenty of helpful staff around and no hurry. I took a good hour to go through the checklist.

I'll add to the growing library of experiences of the pick-up and my first weekend of ownership of the MY (also my first EV)

I booked a one way ticket to Birmingham Central, and then onto Birmingham International. On exiting the station, I got a bit confused in the NEC and had to ask for directions. I was told to take the Skyway through to the rest of the halls. Once I was pointed in the right direction, I quickly saw the tent structures outside the main building.

Check-in was very easy. I just slid my driver's license across, confirmed a few details and then asked to sign an iPad. I'm with ALD, and as soon as the signature was accepted, my Tesla app updated with the car so I could set it up as a key, etc.

It took a while to find my Black/Black/19" MY as there were so many - all with very similar number plates. I came across one I thought was mine and saw a minor blemish where the boot panel met the wing; the realised the registration plate had two letters switched so not mine! Thoughts of needing to log it vanished, as I then spotted mine across the park (sorry to whomever ended up with that car, it was a very minor thing I only noticed because I was checking the gaps!)

1664283120001.png

Once I found my car, I set up the phone key and took a few minutes to go through the options in the touch screen (voice recognition was set to Dutch, units were KM, etc) and took in the new car smell. I didn't spend too long inspecting the car. I checked the seals and gaps and honestly, it was all perfect. I think we can put to bed worries about build quality as that seems to be in the past. The granny charger, mud-flaps(?!) and emergency kit were present along with the parcel shelf.

Given it's my first time in any EV except the short test drive in May, I was pretty nervous about taking a 60k car out of the structure (without hitting other Model Ys lined up!) but it was really fine. The car is so intuitive and easy to drive that by the time I left the NEC complex, I was comfortable with one pedal driving and the feel of the car which is firm but very responsive in steering. I should also mention that they are parked with ample space between them, so they are easy to get into and drive out of.

1664283205100.png

I stopped at the Rugby superchargers for my (and the cars) first charge. I tried to act all cool like I'd done this a thousand times and still managed to forget you can tap the plug button to open the charging port. I took the last space here. I went inside to get a drink and take a comfort break. The car had 44% at the NEC, and was around 36% when I stopped. I set the limit to 90% as I had a long trip the next day. When I got back to the car about 25 mins later, I was at 82% and there were 2 Teslas waiting, so I stopped the charge and left allowing a Model X to take my space.

Friday morning, we had a 180 mile trip to Portsmouth, so I charged it back up to 90% that night from my home 7kWh charger. 2 adults, 2 kids and a few suitcases filled the car and off we went. The car really is beautiful to drive on long distances, and the autopilot makes those long motorway trips so much easier.

1664283535947.png

I checked out ZapMap to see where local chargers were, and found one close to our hotel. We stopped at Winchester to get a little extra charge as I wasn't really confident with how many miles we'd get with it in the real world and not wanting to solely rely on the hotel charger incase it was broken. I think we got to Winchester on about 34% and in retrospect I'd not have bothered stopping. Also, in my excitement, I'd put in the wrong Winchester charger destination, so instead of 12 chargers, we ended up at a hotel with 2 slower chargers. I got to about 60% before the kids drove me crazy after being cooped up for 3 hours in a car, so we left.

The Osprey chargers (two separate chargers) at the hotel looked in good service and the ZapMap comments were positive but using my phone as a contactless payment device meant it only charged about 4.5kWh before stopping (at 75kWh power). I plugged it in, set it charging and walked to the restaurant only to get a notification minutes later that it had stopped charging. I went back and tried a few more times before I realised that (A) it wasn't going to get further than 4.5kW charged and (B) Osprey put a hold on £45 each time you tap. Presumably they'll release that £135 of mine at some point!

1664284188806.png

The next day, I used the other Osprey charger with my debit card and it charged the car back up to 90% just fine although not especially cheaply. This charge got us around for a few days of local driving and then back home. We did stop in South Mimms but we had 34% battery left still, so didn't bother with the superchargers there. We got him with 24% battery left and I hooked it up to our home charger.

It's hard to get true range anxiety when the navigation routing tells you how much battery you'll have left, and it seems to be very pessimistic about it. For example, our journey home from 86% said we'd have 10% left when getting home, but it was really 24%. Most motorway traffic tends to be slower than 70 for long stretches and anything involving the M25 means miles of stop/start driving at under 30 (great with autopilot in charge!)

It was definitely a learning curve and I'm amazed at the real world range of this car. 180 miles with plenty of charge to spare is incredible. In the future I'll be more confident about how far it can go and be more selective where I charge it to ensure I'm not paying more than I need to.

It's fascinating watching others reactions to the Tesla and EVs in general. I heard people tell me that range is poor, South African children dig lithium out of massive holes in the ground with their bare hands and the batteries will only last a few years before needing changing, etc. It seems like there's still a lot to do to convince ICE owners that EVs have moved on from 2012 - just like everything else.

Last edited:
Osprey charging at £1/kWh and that terrible contactless hold might well push you to set up Bonnet sooner rather than later!

Good write up and mirrors our Q2 experience well.
What's the verdict on Bonnet? I downloaded the app and registered, but didn't add payment details (because car isn't here yet). After getting a couple of notifications to add payment details, i then got a notification saying that if i add payment details my first charge is 100% free... T&Cs apply, but can't actually see them anywhere.

Would be good to know if anybody has used them yet?

Reactions: MattM76
What's the verdict on Bonnet? I downloaded the app and registered, but didn't add payment details (because car isn't here yet). After getting a couple of notifications to add payment details, i then got a notification saying that if i add payment details my first charge is 100% free... T&Cs apply, but can't actually see them anywhere.

Would be good to know if anybody has used them yet?

I have, at Ionity Polmadie. Worked fine and saved lots. Went from 15% to 90% while we had a cup of coffee at the adjoining Starbucks and didn’t cost a bean as was my first charge.

Hi @MattM76 which version of autopilot do you have? Standard, Enhanced or Full Self Driving. Am getting my car tomorrow and will be travelling on M25 from west to east. Was wondering if I can engage the basic autopilot that comes with the car.

Also, why do people name their car? Is it recognised in voice command like Alexa?

Hi @MattM76 which version of autopilot do you have? Standard, Enhanced or Full Self Driving. Am getting my car tomorrow and will be travelling on M25 from west to east. Was wondering if I can engage the basic autopilot that comes with the car.

Also, why do people name their car? Is it recognised in voice command like Alexa?
You will be able to use basic autopilot which is traffic aware cruise control (tacc).

People name their cars as the Tesla screen encourages it with a ‘name your car’ setting. Also to identify which vehicle you are controlling from the app for when you are a multi-Tesla household.

Reactions: MattM76 and oneear