Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my collection from Stains this morning at 10AM.

They were very efficient in getting the keys and in about 2 minutes I was out searching for the car (after popping to the loo, which luckily they have in the little cabin thing...)

IMG_7409.jpeg

I pulled the car out to give it an inspection, and it wasn't the cleanest. Body work was fine but dust/dirt marks on the roof and around the wheel arches. There are also some marks on the lining of the frunk storage bin, will check if they come off tomorrow. I was also a bit confused by the boot only opening to about eye height (almost knocked myself out on it) but you can adjust it my pushing then hold the button to set the new max opening height.

IMG_7401.jpeg

IMG_7402.jpeg

IMG_7405.jpeg

(is that screw meant to be poking through there? Same on the other side)
IMG_7406.jpeg

(watch your head!)

Car had 6 miles on the clock and 49% battery. I spent a while setting everything up (enabling AP, cameras, bluetooth, addresses, messages etc) and then set off on the 50 odd miles home via the M25 and M40. Worth noting that joining the M25 from the collection site is around some very odd roundabouts, not ideal when you are trying to get used to a new car and satnav lol). Auto pilot calibrated quote quickly and I was then able to use it for the majority of the way home, no issues other than forgetting to tug the wheel and getting locked out until the next trip. Auto wipers seemed on par with our old X5, needed to tap the button in fine rain and generally a bit slow, I did find the wipers dumped quite a lot water from the drivers side onto the passengers side, perhaps only notable when washing them?

I found that I use put my phone in the charger and use Siri to play music without any issue, I could also see the screen for Apple Maps (which has much better lane guidance) without any issues. Couldn't help smirking at the acceleration once I got onto some quiet stretches of A road, so much fun!

Popped out with the wife and little one after lunch but she insisted on driving both ways. We're both used to the one peddle driving now, feels so natural, but I keep forget every now and again and jerk forward when I pull my foot off (guess that will come with time).

Later got to drive again taking the older two to a class, and got some help plugging in afterwards by the worlds most excited 6yo:
Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 21.14.56.png

For those with 3 kids, I was able to get two high back boosters and a normal booster across the back easily, I think if you had narrow boosters you could get three in, but would need some cheap seatbelt extenders to make them easier to clip in. We have a multimac from the old car, but not sure it's worth installing it we can get away without it. FYI if you have a booster in the front you need to have the car stopped with you foot on the break to disable the passenger airbag. If anyone is interested or wants photos with seats in, let me know!

Now I'm just waiting for the wife to get back from a PTA meeting so I can take it out in the dark and get used to the headlights :)

Attachments

• IMG_7406.jpeg
    IMG_7406.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 39
Adding another experience - hopefully one that is so unique, you all don’t have to experience it yourselves.

I present you: breaking the window simply by closing the door (without enough force - or some other reason I’m yet to determine).

So, my partner was getting into the car on the front passenger side. As she close the door, I don’t think she closed the door with enough force for the door to completely close, but it seems it was enough for the car to think it had close, and proceeded to wind up the window. You know how the car opens the window a centimetre or two when you open, then proceeds to close when the door is closed and flush). And we’ve all been there before where we don’t quite close it hard enough and have to reopen to close it again. In this case, she simply closed, and the window went straight up into the black door trim.

We looked it up and it appears this can happen often enough to find a few stories of exactly the same damage online. I haven’t had time to investigate on it yet so don’t want to jump to conclusions on whether this is a design fault or “user error” or not but I think I might have a case with Tesla even though the car is only a couple hundred miles and a few days old. I certainly haven’t blamed my partner who was doing something completely normal.

Needless to say, I’m gutted and I still love pretty much everything with the car. I will log it with Tesla and push my “case”. Interested if anyone else has had similar experience.

The only argument I can’t make (I’m not in the game of giving advice): it seems that if you don’t close the door hard enough to close it, but just hard enough to trigger the window to go up, this can increase the probability of the window going up into the cars frame causing it to crack.View attachment 857491View attachment 857492
Ouch sorry to hear about this, and guiltily glad I haven’t ended up with the same problem. The small bright side, I guess, is that the laminated glass at least kept the car reasonably secure - had that happened with conventional toughened glass you’d have been picking it out of the seats for a year 😧

I’d definitely be picking a fight with Tesla about maladjusted door closing sensors there, leading to design flaw.

Ouch sorry to hear about this, and guiltily glad I haven’t ended up with the same problem. The small bright side, I guess, is that the laminated glass at least kept the car reasonably secure - had that happened with conventional toughened glass you’d have been picking it out of the seats for a year 😧
Yeah admittedly the glass held firm and still goes up/down in solid fashion. Despite the break, I still love everything about the car. Just a phenomenal machine despite a very rare event. I’ll get it fixed and will forget about it before long.

They’re product changes, not missing features. Tesla make these changes all the time; if you’re delaying delivery for the next “change” you’re always going to be disappointed in something when Tesla changes something in the next quarter.

The amount of forum hot air, in particular, expended on “softer suspension” in particular boggle my mind. Along with the utterly baseless rumours around Model Y parcel shelves.
I chose to refuse the offer and wait for either a later build vehicle or my Q4 delivery. I am happy in my decision, just as someone else will be happy in their decision to take an earlier build vehicle if they have that choice. Horses for courses.

I pulled the car out to give it an inspection, and it wasn't the cleanest. Body work was fine but dust/dirt marks on the roof and around the wheel arches. There are also some marks on the lining of the frunk storage bin, will check if they come off tomorrow. I was also a bit confused by the boot only opening to about eye height (almost knocked myself out on it) but you can adjust it my pushing then hold the button to set the new max opening height.
Hah, I hit my head a couple of times in the first two days (I ducked leaning into the boot and hit my head as I straightened up to move away). Finally got around to adjusting it on the end of the second day. Not sure why they set them so low?

Agree on the roads / roundabouts near the place, I went round the system twice having exited wrongly (concentrating very hard at that point on driving!).

I see the pride car is still there :)

That screw does not look normal to me, I’ve not heard anyone mention it before, and haven’t noticed them on mine - I will check! (It’s cold and raining now tho…). Glad all great tho!

Here’s a niche question. I’ve googled and cannot find anything.

Does the Spotify app allow you to set playback to other speeds? Eg; podcasts.

My wife swears she saw it pop up today and used it to select 1.25x or 1.5x, but couldn’t see this again later on the way home, we then checked together for a while and no sign of it. Did she imagine it??

Adding another experience - hopefully one that is so unique, you all don’t have to experience it yourselves.

I present you: breaking the window simply by closing the door (without enough force - or some other reason I’m yet to determine).

So, my partner was getting into the car on the front passenger side. As she close the door, I don’t think she closed the door with enough force for the door to completely close, but it seems it was enough for the car to think it had close, and proceeded to wind up the window. You know how the car opens the window a centimetre or two when you open, then proceeds to close when the door is closed and flush). And we’ve all been there before where we don’t quite close it hard enough and have to reopen to close it again. In this case, she simply closed, and the window went straight up into the black door trim.

We looked it up and it appears this can happen often enough to find a few stories of exactly the same damage online. I haven’t had time to investigate on it yet so don’t want to jump to conclusions on whether this is a design fault or “user error” or not but I think I might have a case with Tesla even though the car is only a couple hundred miles and a few days old. I certainly haven’t blamed my partner who was doing something completely normal.

Needless to say, I’m gutted and I still love pretty much everything with the car. I will log it with Tesla and push my “case”. Interested if anyone else has had similar experience.

The only argument I can’t make (I’m not in the game of giving advice): it seems that if you don’t close the door hard enough to close it, but just hard enough to trigger the window to go up, this can increase the probability of the window going up into the cars frame causing it to crack.View attachment 857491View attachment 857492
I wonder if this is related to the issues with the pinch guard, would window have continued if there had been someones fingers there?

Definitely be looking for Tesla to be sorting that under a warranty claim, have you checked the pinch guard is working correctly?

I would use something soft like a magazine and try it on the damaged window 1st if it was my car.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Collected my MY yesterday from bluewater. Huge thanks to @Valentin1605 for arriving early enough to do my inspection for me! No issues except for a few small bubbles in the PPF.

I'm in love with the car. The ride is excellent, the interior quality is amazing, the sound system is incredible. I wasn't a fan of the autosteer so I've disabled that, but adaptive cruise control makes driving in traffic a breeze.

So now I have a bit of a first-world problem... I have an iPhone and I set it up as a phone key. I am in the habit of turning my bluetooth off-and-on several times throughout the day because it annoys me when I turn on my headphones for work calls and it automatically connects to my phone. But every time I turn off my bluetooth, I get a Tesla notification alerting me that I can't use the phone as a key until I turn bluetooth back on. Has anyone found a way of disabling these notifications? Or has anyone found a way of stopping an iPhone from auto-connecting to devices? I can't find anything! It feels like my only options are: 1) buy dedicated work headphones so I don't ever need to turn my iPhone bluetooth off or 2) don't use phone as key. There must be a better option?!?!

Reactions: ROTA and Toblerone
Collected my MY yesterday from bluewater. Huge thanks to @Valentin1605 for arriving early enough to do my inspection for me! No issues except for a few small bubbles in the PPF.

I'm in love with the car. The ride is excellent, the interior quality is amazing, the sound system is incredible. I wasn't a fan of the autosteer so I've disabled that, but adaptive cruise control makes driving in traffic a breeze.

So now I have a bit of a first-world problem... I have an iPhone and I set it up as a phone key. I am in the habit of turning my bluetooth off-and-on several times throughout the day because it annoys me when I turn on my headphones for work calls and it automatically connects to my phone. But every time I turn off my bluetooth, I get a Tesla notification alerting me that I can't use the phone as a key until I turn bluetooth back on. Has anyone found a way of disabling these notifications? Or has anyone found a way of stopping an iPhone from auto-connecting to devices? I can't find anything! It feels like my only options are: 1) buy dedicated work headphones so I don't ever need to turn my iPhone bluetooth off or 2) don't use phone as key. There must be a better option?!?!
Have you tried killing the Tesla app (swipe up from the app switcher) before turning off Bluetooth? If it's not running it should not be able to notify you

Have you tried killing the Tesla app (swipe up from the app switcher) before turning off Bluetooth? If it's not running it should not be able to notify you
It's a good suggestion, and as you say, if I force-close the app then I don't get the bluetooth notification. However, as soon as I force-close the app, I get a different notification 'Keep the Tesla app running for the best phone key experience' 🤦🏼‍♂️

Collected from Bluewater on Saturday, 9am slot

Was picked up from home in Essex at 8am for a lift to the collection centre. By the time we got to the bottom of the road a traffic update kicked in on the radio to tell us Dartford crossing was down to one lane and to be avoided :rolleyes:. Not many route alternatives to Bluewater so our 30min trip turned into a 90min queue but it could have been worse. Arrived within the hour slot

A LOT of Teslas at the delivery centre and the kind lady on reception said more were arriving every day. We were one of 2 or 3 groups I could see collecting. No queues, straight in, quick look at driving license and a squiggle of the phone screen was all it took to be handed the cardboard pouch containing the keys. "Your car is somewhere in this row, or maybe that row. Congratulations and enjoy your Tesla"

So the delivery experience ended. At this point I pretty much forgot what I was supposed to do. We found the car a couple of spaces along from the desk and I started to look around it. In truth the cars were too close together and the light in the ground floor of the multistory was far too dim to really see anything of note. I mentioned elsewhere if you are really wanting to do a proper inspection in those conditions take a torch. I tried my phone light but gave up. Gaps all looked good to me, chargers and first aid kit all present. Rear foot mats were in the boot

Took 4 tries to get into the car with the card. Had a quick check inside and spent 20mins faffing about with the screen and settings without any real plan as to what I was doing. Had to ask for staff assistance to close down the Netflix app :p I put all this down to the heady mix of nerves and excitement haha

49% charge and I forgot to check odometer (also didn't know how to) so I rolled slooooooowly out into the awaiting SCs for a quick bit of juice
A548C8BE-8AB4-41D5-AAEC-4FD5B4B63B6A_1_105_c.jpeg

Big shout out the guy in the stall next to me who quickly I identified my confused face and helped with the selection between the two available SC charging cables and I was going

Out of Bluewater and onto the M25 the car was awesome. Could not be happier. No squeaks or rattles, suspension (coming from a Panamera) feels just right given the performance - I'm honestly confused by the fussy reviews and reception here. Much softer and you'd feel like you were in a bus

7678A550-175F-4092-9F9B-3E45422C15AD_1_201_a.jpeg

Car was certainly grubby, but looked like it had been prepped but had been left for quite some time. As I presumed I got a cancellation slot this made sense. No paint issues that I noticed once out into the light but its booked for ceramics on the 10th so will get any feedback on that from the detailer.

I'll update some better pics and feedback by the end of the week with a few more miles on the clock, but I really am smitten. The tech, the convenience, the performance.... it's all such a great package.

My only small gripe if over duelling phone keys. Both me and my wife have driving profiles (I'm 6'4 and she is 5'6 - so there are some differences in set up!) but if we both approach the car it seems to get confused as to who is going to drive. If the car is set in my profile but decides to select my wife's profile as I sit down it crushes me against the steering wheel like a trash compactor 🤣

Enjoy your cars class of Q3. I am absolutely delighted with mine

For those with 3 kids, I was able to get two high back boosters and a normal booster across the back easily, I think if you had narrow boosters you could get three in, but would need some cheap seatbelt extenders to make them easier to clip in. We have a multimac from the old car, but not sure it's worth installing it we can get away without it. FYI if you have a booster in the front you need to have the car stopped with you foot on the break to disable the passenger airbag. If anyone is interested or wants photos with seats in, let me know!
I have 3 young kids. Struggling a bit when I need to have all three in the back. We have two high back seats and one booster (without the back). They fit but it’s hard to get to the car seat belt sockets. Bought one extender from Amazon which didn’t work. Anyone know of an extender which is compatible? Also if any one has some narrower seats they can recommend that would be great.

Reactions: robmcm
Collected from Bluewater on Saturday, 9am slot

Was picked up from home in Essex at 8am for a lift to the collection centre. By the time we got to the bottom of the road a traffic update kicked in on the radio to tell us Dartford crossing was down to one lane and to be avoided :rolleyes:. Not many route alternatives to Bluewater so our 30min trip turned into a 90min queue but it could have been worse. Arrived within the hour slot

A LOT of Teslas at the delivery centre and the kind lady on reception said more were arriving every day. We were one of 2 or 3 groups I could see collecting. No queues, straight in, quick look at driving license and a squiggle of the phone screen was all it took to be handed the cardboard pouch containing the keys. "Your car is somewhere in this row, or maybe that row. Congratulations and enjoy your Tesla"

So the delivery experience ended. At this point I pretty much forgot what I was supposed to do. We found the car a couple of spaces along from the desk and I started to look around it. In truth the cars were too close together and the light in the ground floor of the multistory was far too dim to really see anything of note. I mentioned elsewhere if you are really wanting to do a proper inspection in those conditions take a torch. I tried my phone light but gave up. Gaps all looked good to me, chargers and first aid kit all present. Rear foot mats were in the boot

Took 4 tries to get into the car with the card. Had a quick check inside and spent 20mins faffing about with the screen and settings without any real plan as to what I was doing. Had to ask for staff assistance to close down the Netflix app :p I put all this down to the heady mix of nerves and excitement haha

49% charge and I forgot to check odometer (also didn't know how to) so I rolled slooooooowly out into the awaiting SCs for a quick bit of juice
View attachment 857685
Big shout out the guy in the stall next to me who quickly I identified my confused face and helped with the selection between the two available SC charging cables and I was going

Out of Bluewater and onto the M25 the car was awesome. Could not be happier. No squeaks or rattles, suspension (coming from a Panamera) feels just right given the performance - I'm honestly confused by the fussy reviews and reception here. Much softer and you'd feel like you were in a bus

View attachment 857686

Car was certainly grubby, but looked like it had been prepped but had been left for quite some time. As I presumed I got a cancellation slot this made sense. No paint issues that I noticed once out into the light but its booked for ceramics on the 10th so will get any feedback on that from the detailer.

I'll update some better pics and feedback by the end of the week with a few more miles on the clock, but I really am smitten. The tech, the convenience, the performance.... it's all such a great package.

My only small gripe if over duelling phone keys. Both me and my wife have driving profiles (I'm 6'4 and she is 5'6 - so there are some differences in set up!) but if we both approach the car it seems to get confused as to who is going to drive. If the car is set in my profile but decides to select my wife's profile as I sit down it crushes me against the steering wheel like a trash compactor 🤣

Enjoy your cars class of Q3. I am absolutely delighted with mine
I'd love to hear how you resolve the profiles. This will be our family's only car so will get used by myself and Mrs. McChimp. Whilst our height difference isn't as big as yours I have freakishly long legs and have to have the seat quite far back to drive comfortably. But we often go places together so will be interested to hear how you manage this as I suspect I will have similar issues to you.

It's a good suggestion, and as you say, if I force-close the app then I don't get the bluetooth notification. However, as soon as I force-close the app, I get a different notification 'Keep the Tesla app running for the best phone key experience' 🤦🏼‍♂️
But you will only get that notification once rather than multiple times with switching Bluetooth on and off. If you force close the app you need to remember to open it up again before the car will unlock.

Reactions: adambg

similar happened to me in my 2019 M3. a friend of my daughter got out of the car and closed the door. I don't know what happened. I am guessing she hesitated at the last moment but the result was the glass went up BEFORE the door closed so it ended up closed on the outside of the trim. I immediately went to open the door again and the window went down and left two big scratches on the trim one at each end of the window.
Fortunately the glass did not break. It was a rear window in my case. Seemed like a very rare event when i googled it. just not rate enough!
it has never happened since

edit. looking at the pictures again I can see the the glass, although laminated, is not toughened or it would not break in jagged lines like that. my old M3 was not laminated so would have had to be toughened. Maybe that is why yours broke and mine did not.
This is an old, occasional problem, but maybe the new glass is making the consequences worse. I did not find any cases of broken glass in 2020 when it happened to me just damaged trim like mine, but that was before the laminated windows were common.

Last edited:
My only small gripe if over duelling phone keys. Both me and my wife have driving profiles (I'm 6'4 and she is 5'6 - so there are some differences in set up!) but if we both approach the car it seems to get confused as to who is going to drive. If the car is set in my profile but decides to select my wife's profile as I sit down it crushes me against the steering wheel like a trash compactor

We have "Easy Entry" the default profile and then we just tap and choose and let the car adjust.

Reactions: Jason71