Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feels weird to think I’ll have had the car for a week next week!

I’ve just caught up on this thread having graduated last Wednesday. Loving it all but now finding a few questions / softwarey things -

First night drive - intermittent messages about left pillar camera or multiple cameras blocked. Found some threads about this, and for now am putting it down to what I hope is obvious - it was dark :)

Excluding Home from Sentry - not sure I’ve cracked this yet, still trying a few things.

Deleting Sentry clips - tapping delete seems to do nothing and leaves the screen looking a bit glitchy. Assuming bug at this point.

Phone unlock (proximity) - was working perfectly from the start but today seems to have given up or takes longer. So I’m pulling the handle and creating a Sentry alert!

Auto speed limit change when in cruise control - it doesn’t, seems normal from what I’ve read and maybe a single pull down on the stalk forces it to lock to new speed limit? Not tried that yet.

App screen - need to read the manual, can’t figure out if icons can be moved around and why if I tap the menu icon a second time it adds an additional row of mirror / seat / wiper type icons that don’t seem to do anything.

And I didn‘t spot any replies to a previous question about 3rd party roadside assist. I started reading about this today and *think* it might be a good idea but not quite convinced yet.

Reactions: RCMY and Toblerone
Have you got EAP? If that's what you're referring to a destination needs to be set in the satnav. If just normal AP click the drive stalk down twice at any time no destination needed
Thanks for the replies on this. Seems my issue was out-of-date Tesla instruction videos :D They show two separate icons on the screen in addition to the current speed on the speedometer. One for TACC availability and one for AS availability
1664781889641.png

So I was looking for a notification that was never going to come. Double stalk press did the job when the AP icon appeared and I was away. Pretty unnerving to start with but what a great feature!

Auto speed limit change when in cruise control - it doesn’t, seems normal from what I’ve read and maybe a single pull down on the stalk forces it to lock to new speed limit? Not tried that yet.

App screen - need to read the manual, can’t figure out if icons can be moved around and why if I tap the menu icon a second time it adds an additional row of mirror / seat / wiper type icons that don’t seem to do anything.

And I didn‘t spot any replies to a previous question about 3rd party roadside assist. I started reading about this today and *think* it might be a good idea but not quite convinced yet.

For the speed limit changes I’ve been tapping the limit on the screen, but also read you can pull the stalk which seems like it will be better.

For the app dock, the only thing I’ve done is put the heated seats permanently in their own locations (far left & right) and moved the phone and steering wheel apps to the dock, as these are likely the ones I’ll use the most.

My wife has missed a few calls in the car, as reported here the iPhone doesn’t ring (not sure of the exact scenario) but her podcasts do get interrupted a so she knows something is happening.

Roadside assist I have with my bank and now also insurance policy (as including it was £7 cheaper with Hastings ‘premium’). So I have it 3 times although suspect 2 of the those may be the same provider.
Green flag & RAC can race to see who gets to me first if needed.

Reactions: RCMY
Thanks Toblerone and yeah, I must be missing something obvious with the app dock - feels like an endeavour to do with a cup of tea, if I wasn’t afraid I’d chuck it everywhere!

You’ve reminded me I haven’t tested out making / receiving calls. I got as far as pairing the phone.

Oh, and another question I had - With Premium Connectivity, does Spotify streaming data go via the car‘s sim even if I’m using the phone to pick what to play? It must do right, cos I think the other devices in the house use their login / network connection when I’m effectively using the phone as a remote control.

whereas without Premium Connectivity, I‘d need to play via phone data and stream audio to car over Bluetooth - have I got that right?

I’m on the fence about paying for Premium.. not sure pretending I’m a helicopter by having the satellite map turned on is worth it :)

Reactions: Toblerone
For the speed limit changes I’ve been tapping the limit on the screen, but also read you can pull the stalk which seems like it will be better.
it's actually holding the stalk down, for like 2 secs at least which isn't very convenient. I wish a single press down was enough..
Tapping the screen doesn't feel really safe either, but the same could be said for 90% of the interactions with the car.
The issue I find is that in order to operate the touchscreen, you must look at it, there is no muscle memory developing, or even a simple haptic feedback...

Thanks Toblerone and yeah, I must be missing something obvious with the app dock - feels like an endeavour to do with a cup of tea, if I wasn’t afraid I’d chuck it everywhere!

You’ve reminded me I haven’t tested out making / receiving calls. I got as far as pairing the phone.

Oh, and another question I had - With Premium Connectivity, does Spotify streaming data go via the car‘s sim even if I’m using the phone to pick what to play? It must do right, cos I think the other devices in the house use their login / network connection when I’m effectively using the phone as a remote control.

whereas without Premium Connectivity, I‘d need to play via phone data and stream audio to car over Bluetooth - have I got that right?

I’m on the fence about paying for Premium.. not sure pretending I’m a helicopter by having the satellite map turned on is worth it :)
also live traffic and Youtube/Netflix whilst charging/wife shopping/kids needing picked up etc etc - defo worth a tenner a month for me.

Interesting comments about the traffic speed limit changes. Did a first big drive this weekend of almost 300 miles and ran into this a few times. A 2 seconds hold sound a little annoying but will give it a go and compare to the screen sign tap and see which works best/easiest.

Was a great drive though and I made a lot of use of the cruise control and steering assist.

The only thing I’d say with the latter is, you don’t go too long without needing to change lanes. Am I right in thinking that (without EAP) I need to indicate; begin moving the wheel, this disengages the steering assist (with less force needed than doing without indicating), recieve the loud chime, then double click the stalk again to re-engage steering assist and receive the loud chime a second time?

I was getting some looks after a while from my wife, as it was quite loud and was ‘ducking’ the music, ala Alexa. Any easier way to do this? Thanks

Interesting comments about the traffic speed limit changes. Did a first big drive this weekend of almost 300 miles and ran into this a few times. A 2 seconds hold sound a little annoying but will give it a go and compare to the screen sign tap and see which works best/easiest.

Was a great drive though and I made a lot of use of the cruise control and steering assist.

The only thing I’d say with the latter is, you don’t go too long without needing to change lanes. Am I right in thinking that (without EAP) I need to indicate; begin moving the wheel, this disengages the steering assist (with less force needed than doing without indicating), recieve the loud chime, then double click the stalk again to re-engage steering assist and receive the loud chime a second time?

I was getting some looks after a while from my wife, as it was quite loud and was ‘ducking’ the music, ala Alexa. Any easier way to do this? Thanks

Try "Joe Mode", it makes the chimes quieter for passengers.

Reactions: _Dave_
Interesting comments about the traffic speed limit changes. A 2 seconds hold sound a little annoying but will give it a go and compare to the screen sign tap and see which works best/easiest.
I just tried out the 2 second hold on a quick trip. I like it. Way better than reaching over and tapping the speed icon on the screen.

Mrs T hasn’t realised yet she could tap the screen from the passenger seat to slow me down when needed!

A week in and generally OK, but got an issue making calls.

Pixel 6 Pro with two SIMs, and I've set the default for most contacts. When I use a voice request it prompts for home, mobile, etc. but when I click the number the numbers disappear and no call is made.

When I go into Contacts and try to dial from there, nothing happens.

Incoming calls appear to be fine.

Any suggestions welcome.

For the app dock, the only thing I’ve done is put the heated seats permanently in their own locations (far left & right) and moved the phone and steering wheel apps to the dock, as these are likely the ones I’ll use the most.

My wife has missed a few calls in the car, as reported here the iPhone doesn’t ring (not sure of the exact scenario) but her podcasts do get interrupted a so she knows something is happening.

Roadside assist I have with my bank and now also insurance policy (as including it was £7 cheaper with Hastings ‘premium’). So I have it 3 times although suspect 2 of the those may be the same provider.
Green flag & RAC can race to see who gets to me first if needed.

I still can't get my phone to ring 🤷‍♂️ I was driving one of the other cars at the weekend at it rang in there so definitely something tesla related I've tried everything with no joy. Pretty frustrating really I'll try streaming podcasts from the phone instead of through Spotify on the car but we shouldn't really have to do that should we

To add on to the experience seeking/sharing questions; I find the AP sensors/cameras a little bit unpredictable, for example it recognises some of the objects near by or vehicles ahead of you (especially the ones not in the direction of travel but oncoming or around/ parked or approaching from sides-behind) with a significant delay (showing on the screen or highlighting with coloured lines) but on occasions it misses some altogether or warns of objects where I can see nothing …as a result sometimes it slows down all of a sudden or gives false warnings/alerts. It is also one of those issues which is very difficult to convey or demonstrate to raise a SC request unless they have a diagnostic method by plugging it in and checking if all working or not (against the calibration parameters within the spec) considering the number of cameras and sensors…

As much as I am keen to upgrade to EAP or FSD at some point, the current experience is definitely not giving me enough confidence yet…

I wonder if it is related with poor camera calibration at the start or something to do with malfunctioning sensors/cameras or limited functionality/accuracy with the basic AP (which I wouldn’t think so) or it is just beta…any similar experiences?

Reactions: MashinBenzin
To add on to the experience seeking/sharing questions; I find the AP sensors/cameras a little bit unpredictable, for example it recognises some of the objects near by or vehicles ahead of you (especially the ones not in the direction of travel but oncoming or around/ parked or approaching from sides-behind) with a significant delay (showing on the screen or highlighting with coloured lines) but on occasions it misses some altogether or warns of objects where I can see nothing …as a result sometimes it slows down all of a sudden or gives false warnings/alerts. It is also one of those issues which is very difficult to convey or demonstrate to raise a SC request unless they have a diagnostic method by plugging it in and checking if all working or not (against the calibration parameters within the spec) considering the number of cameras and sensors…

As much as I am keen to upgrade to EAP or FSD at some point, the current experience is definitely not giving me enough confidence yet…

I wonder if it is related with poor camera calibration at the start or something to do with malfunctioning sensors/cameras or limited functionality/accuracy with the basic AP (which I wouldn’t think so) or it is just beta…any similar experiences?
It’s junk. Here is a HGV alongside me. What the picture doesn’t capture is that it was flickering on and off, i.e. appearing and disappearing every few seconds. What the picture also doesn’t capture is that said HGV was actually a McDonalds restaurant, that (surprisingly) was not popping in and out of existence but was actually stationary as I sat in the drive thru queue. It also wasn’t touching my car.
72817449-7739-4F57-AE22-7CC4B750F93D.jpeg

It’s junk. Here is a HGV alongside me. What the picture doesn’t capture is that it was flickering on and off, i.e. appearing and disappearing every few seconds. What the picture also doesn’t capture is that said HGV was actually a McDonalds restaurant, that (surprisingly) was not popping in and out of existence but was actually stationary as I sat in the drive thru queue. It also wasn’t touching my car.
View attachment 859917
Yep, there is also that-indecisive objects and sometimes parked cars appearing in awkward angles relative to the vehicle. Btw it is brave of you to give it a go at a drive thru ☺️I am still avoiding navigating around tight spots until I fully grasp the perimeters of the vehicle especially around the front wheel arches - I wish there were front facing cameras under the side mirrors or pillar cameras could be utilised for practical purposes.

If you’ve not seen, check out the latest FSD beta videos from US drivers. The visualisations are a world apart from what we have. It’s the same hardware, so I’m hoping they’ll promote the visuals from beta to production here soon, even if we have to wait longer for legislation to allow the full self driving capability.