Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I collected a black Model Y yesterday from Bluewater as a last minute cancellation. Does anyone know how long it takes for the V5 to arrive? I’m keen to get it in to TFL for the congestion charge exemption

Logbook won't take long. Good thing is that TFL are much quicker than the 10 days they claim online. I did the application with the upload of the V5 in the afternoon, and by the next day I had the confirmation of 100% discount applied in my inbox.

Off topic: This ... and a few other things make an EV a no-brainer for me. I am amazed again and again how much sense that makes. Parking (pay for 10 mins and stay for 4 hours in some places) no CC in London, cost of 1p per mile (home charging) and almost no BIK (company car) ... simply amazing ... and that goes for any EV.

Apologies for hijacking an owners thread (mine's due ned of year etc) but I'm trying to get my head round charging - moreover the cables/leads/sockets/plugs whilst on the go.... I've never owned an EV so unfamiliar with the cables that I may need. I've a home charger installed already to suit the Tesla - so that's ok, my questions is more about when I'm out on the roads. Obvs if a charger has the Tesla charger plug there's no probs - but if it's a type 2 plug do we get (or do I need to get) a type 2 to CCS adaptor? Or can I charge the directly with type 2 plug? Or do I get both options? I've seen this - which I assume comes with car? Do I need anything else?
I'd like to order in advance any other bits I may need - so any help would be appreciated 👍

View attachment 858420
Car will happily charge using Type 2. I've used both a generic Type 2 cable that is attached to me pre-existing charger at home and the supplied Type 2 cable at work. Neither have release latch buttons so you need to use the app/screen to release the latch to disconnect. Which I've had 50/50 luck with (sometimes having to try more than once)

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Do I need anything else?
No. You get a type 2 cable with the car which will work with (nearly) all AC chargers, and CCS fast DC chargers will have an integrated cable and CCS plug so you don’t need a cable for that.

All currently sold Teslas in the UK have a combine type2/ccs charge port so there is no proprietary connector/adapter needed.

Neither have release latch buttons so you need to use the app/screen to release the latch to disconnect
I splashed out and bought myself the EVChargeKing cable, which includes a release button. My easee charger has a tether lock so I can leave it plugged in outside the house. Super convenient, and it's much lighter and more manageable than the 3 phase Tesla one

I splashed out and bought myself the EVChargeKing cable, which includes a release button. My easee charger has a tether lock so I can leave it plugged in outside the house. Super convenient, and it's much lighter and more manageable than the 3 phase Tesla one
I've got an Easee too and leave the cable locked. I think it's a great solution combining the benefits of tethered and untethered.
I did not have this problem with the PHEV: unlocking the car unlocked the cable lock at the car end. Which was great.

Logbook won't take long. Good thing is that TFL are much quicker than the 10 days they claim online. I did the application with the upload of the V5 in the afternoon, and by the next day I had the confirmation of 100% discount applied in my inbox.

Off topic: This ... and a few other things make an EV a no-brainer for me. I am amazed again and again how much sense that makes. Parking (pay for 10 mins and stay for 4 hours in some places) no CC in London, cost of 1p per mile (home charging) and almost no BIK (company car) ... simply amazing ... and that goes for any EV.
Can confirm, received the V5 in the post yesterday (5 days after delivery). Logged it on TfL congestion charge website yesterday as well, and confirmed that the discount is active this morning. Now, the 2 times I drove into the CC zone earlier this week, will the exemption apply to those trips? Knowing TfL, probably not.

Update on my cracked front passenger window: I had a service booked for 8 October but they pushed it to 21 October to wait for the part to arrive. They said the replacement work and the buffing out of the 2 paint swirls should only take a day. My partner is currently sitting in the back seat because we’re too afraid to open and close the door - though, she is not minding one bit and says it’s super comfy back there!

Also did a trip to Stanstead and back in the wee hour of this morning. Jeez, what a joy to drive this beast at night and through the fog. AP (lane keep) worked flawlessly (despite my earlier reservations). I also managed to turn off auto high beams while on AP - are people saying you can’t do this? I Just tapped on the icon on the main screen and it turned off while remaining in AP, no fuss. It also stayed off while I went in and out of AP too. Am I missing a trick here?

coming from a rav4. the model y very quiet and softer suspension. sound system is very very good. i'm pleased with ride comfort. charges well at home at a 7kwh.
i had a few issues which were not picked up by tesla, but it was corrected after a few day at service centre [after some prodding].
all in all after 2 weeks, i'm pleased. hopefully its as reliable as the rav4 going into the future.

Last edited:
I have an observation. No one in the UK says "gas" pedal even when talking about an ICE car so using it, even in quotes, is a bit wierd when talking about an EV?
P. S. No not noticed this on mine.
Great observation, hence it was in a bracket ☺️ thanks for the response - I wonder if anyone else have the same issue as it is hard to notice unless it is dead silent in the car just before the hold/brakes kick in? Accordingly I will get the e-pedal/ accelerator checked.

Not too many cars left in Glasgow.

Weather was shocking today as expected. We parked in the wrong bit of the car park but they were happy they didn't need to walk into the big car park to check out the trade-in. Very straightforward, friendly, etc.

Car had all the expected bits, came with bonus tiny bit of protection tape on the window edge thing and that plastic bit around the rear-view mirror. It had 43% battery. I struggled to inspect the car exterior given conditions, but the interior seemed fine, one of the headlights is slightly proud of the bumper compared to the other, so booked in an appointment for that.

Like a complete nutter I drove it back in hold mode which was actually not that bad apart from a couple times thinking to lift my foot to hit the brake and the car slowing all by itself. Haven't driven a Tesla for quite a while so the whole thing was interesting. It's very very smooth to drive, instant power, it does the speedbumps that troubled the Golf quite well and overall felt quite smooth and extremely planted on the road. Steering is very fast.

The autopilot/camera calibration took about 10 minutes of M8 driving but given the weather I chose not to try it out.

We took it to the shopping centre and all the big spots were taken, that's when the car feels like a boat. Will no doubt get used to it.

Geminis look better in person. Will get a better look at the car when it stops bucketing down but it looked fine while wet.

Will be doing some granny charging for a couple weeks while we wait for the Zappi to get installed, so waiting for the weather to improve before we get it charged up again... the wife is very keen to have a go.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_113320.jpg
    IMG_20220930_113320.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 68
QQ on AP for the class of Q3

Camera all seem to be configured now and the car offers AP regularly on main roads and A/Ms roads I have yet to see it offer Autosteer alongside AP on the screen

I do NOT have any AP upgrades just the standard. I have selected "Autosteer (beta)" in the Controls menu

Has anyone else had similar?

Camera all seem to be configured now and the car offers AP regularly on main roads and A/Ms roads I have yet to see it offer Autosteer alongside AP on the screen

I do NOT have any AP upgrades just the standard. I have selected "Autosteer (beta)" in the Controls menu

Are you referring to the steering wheel showing next to the gear display?

If so that is the autosteer function of standard AP.

AP is one click down for camera controlled cruise the Max next to the Speed limit sign goes blue. Press down twice (2 bongs) and you get the lane holding autosteer and the little steering wheel goes blue. This just requires a little input on the wheel every so often.

Hope that explains it OK.

P.S. Make sure you are central to the lane, otherwise it might correct a bit and can be a little unnerving the first few times until you get used to it 😉

I don’t even look at what it says is available. Usually I’m sensible at when I’m asking it to engage, eg a bigger road without tight bends, roundabouts etc.
Then I just pull the stalk down twice and we are away. If it’s not happy it won’t engage.
It is obviously most suited to dual carriageway / motorway.

I collected a black Model Y yesterday from Bluewater as a last minute cancellation. Does anyone know how long it takes for the V5 to arrive? I’m keen to get it in to TFL for the congestion charge exemption
Collected mine from B`Ham NEC on the 22nd of this month...........V5 arrived today 30th. So I have duly completed my registration plate transfer stuff on-line and now wait for the e-mail to confirm that I can now display my personal plate! :cool:

Reactions: rowedav
While searching for the accelerator noise issue noticed that there are other threads as well.It seems to be as expected.

On a separate note; I’ve just found out that there is a section in the owner’s manual under Normal Operating Sounds and describes the sound on hold which is somewhat a bit more amplified than what I hear…

An easy and problem-free M3LR collection at Bristol yesterday. Six miles on the clock and 49% charge. Software version 2022.28.2. Staff friendly and helpful. No problems running through the checklist and couldn’t find anything to worry about! Once I’d clicked on the “accepted delivery“ button in the app the car rebooted and all the app functionality was there. Driving west on the M4 the cameras calibrated very quickly and both TACC and Autosteer functioned well. I dropped in at Sarn Park to test out charging - see photo - then left the car at a detailers in Swansea for ceramic coating. Train home to Pembrokeshire and now need to wait until next Wednesday to get the chance to become more familiar with everything. After a 7 month wait I am now very pleased to say the least! 😀

1664551797534.jpeg

I don’t even look at what it says is available. Usually I’m sensible at when I’m asking it to engage, eg a bigger road without tight bends, roundabouts etc.
Then I just pull the stalk down twice and we are away. If it’s not happy it won’t engage.
It is obviously most suited to dual carriageway / motorway.
I hadn’t even noticed that there were icons to show what’s available 🤣

Reactions: Toblerone
I have a spare set of (2) original Tesla charging lead/connecters if anyone has a need, both brand spanking new and unused. (see pic)

#1 - In Black Bag - Mobile Connecter (so called Grany-Charger) complete with 3-pin UK plug adapter = Tesla Shop price (+out-of-stock) £180.00 will take £160.00 if collected or plus postage at cost to anywhere.

#2 - In Clear Bag - Blue 32A Type-2 Adapter Cable = Tesla Shop price £85.00 will take £75.00 if collected or plus postage at cost etc

Drop me a message if interested......I check in to this site regularly 🖖 👌

Attachments​

• As Supplied Frunk Contents (Both Charge-Cable Types).JPG
    As Supplied Frunk Contents (Both Charge-Cable Types).JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
PS. Just copied this from my UK/Ireland Market place post........just in case anyone is interested, TA!