Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 6 weeks and 4.5K miles I thought I'd give a bit of feedback now.

There's no doubt that Tesla's are extremely impressive when it comes to performance, they're extremely efficient, really nippy, the Y handles so well considering the size, and the supercharging network is in a league of it's own, this alone makes having a Tesla as a company car a no brainer in my opinion. The Y is pretty comfortable, it's taken a lot of adjusting the seat to stop it from hurting by back on longer trips but I do think I've got it now. The amount of storage space is ridiculous, I can't believe how much I can get inside without even considering having to drop the seats. Having Netflix, Disney plus and YouTube to use while I'm having my lunch on the road is also brilliant, yes I could use a tablet before but utilising the cars equipment is a much better experience.

Overall It's an excellent car to drive and It makes sense in so many ways, however, despite all of the above, there are some things that have made the experience a little more unenjoyable than I'd hoped.

1. Auto wipers - Work perfectly for me in the normal rain but if you get very light rain, or spray from the wet road / HGVs, I find the car usually does absolutely nothing until you can barely see.

2. Auto full beam - Simply useless, the way it activates and deactivates makes absolutely no sense, it's so inconsistent it truly blows my mind.

3. Voice control - It's ok, it just doesn't work anywhere near as well as Android Auto or even my last Mercedes with the MBUX

4. Cruise Control and auto steer - They're ok, it all works most of the time, I just expected it to be better than other cars and It's really not.

5 - Indicator stalk also controlling the lights - This really annoys me, I often notice I flash the car in front when I try and indicate, It doesn't take much to slightly pull the stalk too

6 - Indicators not working - Every now and again they don't work when I quickly indicator on a motorway or dual carriageway, it simply doesn't detect the fact I've moved it, I've never come across this in any other car.

The below aren't complaints in any way, I was fully aware, they're just my opinions after having driven the car almost 5000 Miles

7. No Matrix headlights - I didn't think not having these would bother me, It's something I think they need to work on ASAP

8. Simplistic interior - I've realised it's not really my thing, I prefer something like the Mercedes A-Class interior. This includes no buttons at all, I don't like it.

As I've said above, the important stuff is generally very impressive, you just start to find the niggles after a while and then it starts to get annoying.

Would I go with anything else as my company car? Definitely not, the efficiency of the Tesla's and the SC network put Tesla in a league of their own... at least for now.

Would I choose something else as my own personal car? I'd certainly be paying attention to other manufacturers, range and the charging network would be the only things stopping me.

I mentioned the accidental light flash when indicating recently. I’ve gotten better at not doing this (did it once this week!), but i have to make a concerted effort to really not pull the stalk toward me even slightly.

Something I forgot to mention in my write up was the voice control. I had 3, 4 goes in the first couple of weeks, never worked. I should have a look at the actual list of commands but have all but written this feature off.

I’m still loving this car, every single time I drive it, all the complaints and niggles are outweighed by the positives :)

I mentioned the accidental light flash when indicating recently. I’ve gotten better at not doing this (did it once this week!), but i have to make a concerted effort to really not pull the stalk toward me even slightly.

Something I forgot to mention in my write up was the voice control. I had 3, 4 goes in the first couple of weeks, never worked. I should have a look at the actual list of commands but have all but written this feature off.

I’m still loving this car, every single time I drive it, all the complaints and niggles are outweighed by the positives :)
Thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued by your experience of voice control. As in the test drive (admittedly a very short trial) I found anything I tried worked well (in spite of my Scottish accent). Better in fact than my Alexa devices I have throughout my house.

Thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued by your experience of voice control. As in the test drive (admittedly a very short trial) I found anything I tried worked well (in spite of my Scottish accent). Better in fact than my Alexa devices I have throughout my house.
My main issue with voice control is that it will not allow me to call my boss, it simply can't understand a very common name and constantly here's 2 or 3 other similar names.
I've tried a couple of other things but it's very 50/50 as to whether it works.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
I haven't used voice control as much as I anticipated I would. I mainly use it for music when spontaneously thinking of a song to play, which it does pretty well ( and that would be a nightmare to do via search on the screen).

The main reason for lack of use is because, to my surprise, I find the controls via the screen pretty intuitive and easy, particularly after setting up some shortcuts to commonly used features.

The voice control does seem to struggle with names more than Android Auto.

And it definitely struggles to understand my 3 year old daughter telling it to "open glove box!"

I'm really disappointed with voice control, does work some of the time but comes up with all sorts of nonsense!
Does it work better if you have an American accent?
Interesting about the American accent; however I try, it cannot "accept" Gerard, even when I adopt a US english pronunciation. It comes us with Jared every time and, it has no problem with Trump! Just sayin'.....
.... though SWMBO says " There can only be one twit in chief".

Does anyone else get this with alarming frequency? Should I be getting a service appointment booked?

Attachments

• 1B9A7CC2-44EB-49C6-8F1D-267777B03166.jpeg
    1B9A7CC2-44EB-49C6-8F1D-267777B03166.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 31823DE9-EAAF-41D5-B52F-7FF683725834.jpeg
    31823DE9-EAAF-41D5-B52F-7FF683725834.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Spacerat
So, apologies if it's a silly question but here goes..

I've had a lot of the common problems recently such as the e-call system unavailable or it taking ages to 'wake' with no map movement or music or indicators etc and have done the two button reset a few times too BUT I've had a weird one a couple of times that I can't fathom and it's around loss of performance.

A couple of times I've planted my foot while travelling around 30/40mph and it's just not picked up that quickly and although it was still quick it wasn't the usual response I've come to expect. Battery was 65% or so, battery wasn't cold, wasn't in chill mode, road wasn't soaking wet (maybe ever so slightly damp) etc and only had one person in the car with me and no extra weight. Has anyone else experienced this? On one of the occasions I did plant it a little from stand still and it seemed to be a bit sluggish then too. I'm not really one to go out and time a 0-60 to be honest but just putting the feelers out if anyone had come across this? Seems fine at other times so it's not all the time either. I use Tessie too if it's any help and the data for the drives in question show now real big power spikes, almost like it was using low power. Only think I can think of was that the air con and blowers were on pretty high on those drives where it didn't perform as expected.. would this make such a difference?

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
Interesting, I’ve thought my MY has sometimes felt a bit sluggish but I kept on thinking it was just me being used to my M3P making it feel slow…

Yeah, I did think that maybe it was just me getting used to it but then other times it bounces back and feels just as quick as on day one so I'm 99.9% sure it's not that. I think it's easier to notice from that 30mph roll on to be honest as it's where I think you feel the acceleration most on a MY LR, rather than off the line like in the M3P.

So, apologies if it's a silly question but here goes..

I've had a lot of the common problems recently such as the e-call system unavailable or it taking ages to 'wake' with no map movement or music or indicators etc and have done the two button reset a few times too BUT I've had a weird one a couple of times that I can't fathom and it's around loss of performance.

A couple of times I've planted my foot while travelling around 30/40mph and it's just not picked up that quickly and although it was still quick it wasn't the usual response I've come to expect. Battery was 65% or so, battery wasn't cold, wasn't in chill mode, road wasn't soaking wet (maybe ever so slightly damp) etc and only had one person in the car with me and no extra weight. Has anyone else experienced this? On one of the occasions I did plant it a little from stand still and it seemed to be a bit sluggish then too. I'm not really one to go out and time a 0-60 to be honest but just putting the feelers out if anyone had come across this? Seems fine at other times so it's not all the time either. I use Tessie too if it's any help and the data for the drives in question show now real big power spikes, almost like it was using low power. Only think I can think of was that the air con and blowers were on pretty high on those drives where it didn't perform as expected.. would this make such a difference?
Never had this experience.

Reactions: Fezza