Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q3 collections, new owners tales and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much did the ceramic cost? And with it being a company car will it be a problem to do it?
No idea about company car, sorry

Re. ceramics. It will depend on the quality of provider and also the ceramic that is applied. The "quality" of ceramic is usual expressed as an approximate duration for the coat after which it will likely need re-applying. For a Tesla 3/Y I would expect

12 month ceramic: £100-£150
2 year: £200-£250
add around £100 per additional year of 'quality'

A decent detailer will have up to 5 year ceramics available, and some stronger than that

Hope this helps

Reactions: Spencela
How much did the ceramic cost? And with it being a company car will it be a problem to do it?
Mmmm.......Pays to shop arround here, I have seen quotes from acceptable £250 - £350 to the ridiculous £500 and beyond! (FYI, got `the works` done on mine ie. external paint, glass, alloy wheels, all the trim with white interior, carpets etc for a bargin £300 and should last for approx. 4 years) Note, this was my 3rd car treated by Chris at the Heritage Detailing Centre, Banbury, so I did get a tad of discount ;)
As for it being a company car, I would hope they give you a pay-rise, for going `the extra mile` to look after your car! 😇

I have had mine for almost 3 months and 7500 miles, I am delighted with it and have absolutely no regrets, I took this yesterday while out for a long drive in the snow.
PXL_20221216_131359324[25896].jpg

Thanks, it was very good, the only thing I found is that it is not as throttle adjustable as previous cars I have which makes it harder to control if it starts to slide, it was tending to do what the traction control wanted rather than what I wanted but this was only an issue a couple of times.
I also found that you had to watch the regen braking in the snow too. Instinctively taking your foot off the accelerator as you might do in an ICE to just coast and use engine braking definitely doesn’t have the same effect! You really need to manage the accelerator carefully to slow down in snow.

Thanks, it was very good, the only thing I found is that it is not as throttle adjustable as previous cars I have which makes it harder to control if it starts to slide, it was tending to do what the traction control wanted rather than what I wanted but this was only an issue a couple of times.
I also found that you had to watch the regen braking in the snow too. Instinctively taking your foot off the accelerator as you might do in an ICE to just coast and use engine braking definitely doesn’t have the same effect! You really need to manage the accelerator carefully to slow down in snow.
I had not thought of that; regen, when you lift off is braking. Also, I believe that when charged well, the brakes automatically compensate for the reduced regen effect. A whole new skill to be acquired for those who are frequently faced with winter snow. I have not heard of anyone winter rallying a Tesla Model .Y

So, maybe low Regen, Creep and Chill might be helpful settings. Traction control is permanent however.

Reactions: S3XY T3SLA
I had not thought of that; regen, when you lift off is braking. Also, I believe that when charged well, the brakes automatically compensate for the reduced regen effect. A whole new skill to be acquired for those who are frequently faced with winter snow. I have not heard of anyone winter rallying a Tesla Model .Y

So, maybe low Regen, Creep and Chill might be helpful settings. Traction control is permanent however.
So when driving in very snowy/icey conditions wouldn`t it be better to set the drive mode to "off-road assist" as I`m sure this alters the TC and torque bias to all the wheels, regen and even allows for a degree of wheel-spin etc? To my mind, a one step setting, instead of making a number of alterations to your normal, personal driving set-up. (been busting to try this idea out with my MY but , we just don`t seem to get much snow down here in the midlands, yet anyway!)

So when driving in very snowy/icey conditions wouldn`t it be better to set the drive mode to "off-road assist" as I`m sure this alters the TC and torque bias to all the wheels, regen and even allows for a degree of wheel-spin etc? To my mind, a one step setting, instead of making a number of alterations to your normal, personal driving set-up. (been busting to try this idea out with my MY but , we just don`t seem to get much snow down here in the midlands, yet anyway!)
So far (so good) no snowy roads to gain experience. If "off-road assist" is not subtitled "or driving on snow or ice assist", then I would be inclined to await advice from our Scottish Tesla mates.

Tesla's advice, such as I have found so far, is mostly concerned with charging and pre conditioning and screen wash deicer The advise fitting winter tyres and to consider using snow chains to improve traction. So far, I see no vehicle handling advice from Tesla. However, a regen lock-up slide could, I imagine, be avoided by careful feathering of power.
My only real experience has been on French Peage, Germa and Swiss roads small and large. In each cases, they are so geared up and ready to go that we have never had a problem even in a blizzard. Here in the UK we don't have snow or ice, so no need to be prepared - ho ho.
If there is plenty of traffic when driving in a blizzard, cut the headlights and drive on the other's lights. This works really well until everybody switches of their lights.

So far (so good) no snowy roads to gain experience. If "off-road assist" is not subtitled "or driving on snow or ice assist", then I would be inclined to await advice from our Scottish Tesla mates.

Tesla's advice, such as I have found so far, is mostly concerned with charging and pre conditioning and screen wash deicer The advise fitting winter tyres and to consider using snow chains to improve traction. So far, I see no vehicle handling advice from Tesla. However, a regen lock-up slide could, I imagine, be avoided by careful feathering of power.
My only real experience has been on French Peage, Germa and Swiss roads small and large. In each cases, they are so geared up and ready to go that we have never had a problem even in a blizzard. Here in the UK we don't have snow or ice, so no need to be prepared - ho ho.
If there is plenty of traffic when driving in a blizzard, cut the headlights and drive on the other's lights. This works really well until everybody switches of their lights.
Why would anyone switch off their lights? Is there an advantage?

Reactions: boombap
Why would anyone switch off their lights? Is there an advantage?
I am really referring to motorway or dual carriageways. Also, there needs to be traffic around you; left, right, ahead and behind. If you have driven in heavy falling snow, you may remember that you could not see too well because your lights were reflected back by the snow.

When, in the conditions I described, you turn off your headlights (only headlights because you need your rear lights to be on) everything becomes magically clear; the world around you is illuminated by the other cars. The blizzard ceases to be a direct problem for you and as a bonus, you will clearly see other vehicles if they lose it.

Please keep it a secret from others, like yourself,( @boombap for instance) who are unaware of this strategy; it would not do for everyone to turn their lights off;)

When driving on ice I’ve found so far that enabling off-road assist and setting regen to “Roll” is the sanest combination. Chill+Roll also works ok, but I preferred the off-road+roll combination.

Whatever you do don’t turn on the regen, and don’t even try feathering anything unless you want to look like a turkey. Quickly alternating braking plus acceleration will help you lose control and spin in record time.

There is a particularly exposed road nearby that’s a good way of avoiding the carnage at Cherwell M40 services and the Baynards Green roundabout, but it ices up more quickly than my ex-wife.

Has been good practice driving it, after initially nearly reaching “condition brown” within the first few seconds of forgetting to switch to “Roll” and easing off on the accelerator….

Sad news:

Developed a rattle last week. Isolated it to the front passenger door by using a 'tone' app to play low frequencies through the sound system. My guess is a cable or something feeding the door 'open' button on the handle

Good news:

Opened service request this AM and they offered a mobile visit 12pm same day. Have to be impressed at that
Try plugging in the passenger seat-belt. Had the same and thought it was the window but turned out it was this.

Reactions: MB11
Try plugging in the passenger seat-belt. Had the same and thought it was the window but turned out it was this.

Sad news:

Developed a rattle last week. Isolated it to the front passenger door by using a 'tone' app to play low frequencies through the sound system. My guess is a cable or something feeding the door 'open' button on the handle

Good news:

Opened service request this AM and they offered a mobile visit 12pm same day. Have to be impressed at that
Mobile service excellent. Arrived on time, removed door card and replaced clips and tidied up some cabling. Put in some foam tape stuff to damper any further vibrations and was away in 45mins or so. For all the moaning I hear re. service and support you really can't pick the bones out of that can you?

Mobile service excellent. Arrived on time, removed door card and replaced clips and tidied up some cabling. Put in some foam tape stuff to damper any further vibrations and was away in 45mins or so. For all the moaning I hear re. service and support you really can't pick the bones out of that can you?
Somebody somewhere will, I’m sure 😂

Glad you’re all sorted 😀

That’s all excellent. And the fact it’s mobile is really so convenient.

Reactions: WKUK