Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 2013 results - data points, projections and expectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like MB has a bit of an issue with mentioning that the power train is supplied by Tesla. Did I miss it, or they just feel a bit insecure?

Yea I noticed that too. In fact they almost denied it lol.

"It's a fresh, fully connected approach to driving that's equal parts responsibility and exhilaration — and every part Mercedes-Benz." (except what makes the car move :wink:)

Are we forgetting battery backups for solar city. Have seen a picture of one. Are they selling those already or prototype?

Low volume, I'd say. Robert(.Boston) has pointed out that there's not that much value in grid management and arbitrage, and relatively speaking lithium batteries are an expensive back-up, so I'd look at it as a grant-sucker for now. The long-term value comes with the gigafactory (=high volume, low cost), as a future product and as part of the gigafactory plan (back-up storage using degraded batteries as part of maximizing value in the manufacturing loop.)

I for one would appreciate this; I'm not going to be able to listen in. Moreover, I like to see things in writing.

Perhaps you could use the Blog feature here? Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

I tried to create a blog post, but it wasn't an ideal fit since it won't let me comment and I'd have to revise the blog post, delaying access.

I did create a forum post:

Fourth Quarter 2013 Financial Results QA Conference Call - LIVE BLOG

My initial Q4 shareholder letter thoughts:
- strong FY2014 guidance at 35k and 28% gross margin in Q4 2014
- super strong revenue numbers at $761m
- reached 25% gross margin target for Q4
- production target/guidance given for 1000 cars/week by end of year
- Gigafactory to deliver "massive volume" of stationary storage for solar industry

Neutral:
- expenses higher than expected but doesn't matter since revenue was so strong
- Q1 guidance for cars delivered is 6400

Negative:
- it appears Model X is delayed somewhat as design prototypes on road by end of year and no mention of customer deliveries by end of year

Overall, it looks very good.

- Gigafactory to deliver "massive volume" of stationary storage for solar industry

Neutral:

Negative:
- it appears Model X is delayed somewhat as design prototypes on road by end of year and no mention of customer deliveries by end of year

Model X will be available in Canada Q2 2015 as per the email I received from Tesla (I Have a reservation). I assume it would a similar time (or maybe sooner) in the US.

Neutral:

Negative:

nice summary Dave

congrats to all the long term investors!

Produced. But of those 1000 will be in transit so 6400 delivered.

And I think as this is I think the first time TSLA reports produced it's precisely to show incremental increase. And there are other nice nuggets hidden in the report like showing that the Beijing store is highest traffic store ever (likely translates to record reservations) and for example customer deposits went from $138.8M a year ago to $163.1M even though Tesla delivered 22.5k cars. That shows the amount of demand that is HUGE.