Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

If Tesla could and would fix problem sites like Quartzsite in a few months rather than having them persist, it would be a non-problem. Letting them linger on as regular congestion that anyone frequenting that route encounters on a weekend or holiday or whatever, then it provides opportunity for bad press not to mention the impact it has on owner satisfaction.

I know people don't like talking about Tesla shortcomings, but why wouldn't they address sites like this if they could?
There has been an ownership change at Carl's since original install. Perhaps Tesla has issues with the new owners.

I also see "Reduced Service" on my navigation screen for Quartzsite I wonder what's up- I may have to change my travel plans, Pushing it for Buckeye to Indio might be too much for an S85 especially if there are any winds. The detour though Gila Bend, Yuma and El Centro would require an extra 50 miles or so to get to Garden Grove from Tucson.

Original plan was Buckeye, Quartzsite, Indio, Cabazon, then Santa Ana. Now it might be Gila Bend, Yuma, El Centro, then Indio, Cabazon and Santa Ana. It's an extra 25 miles, which isn't so bad, but it's a lot of 2 lane road from El Centro to Indio

So much for the southern cross country route being covered. :(

I also see "Reduced Service" on my navigation screen for Quartzsite I wonder what's up- I may have to change my travel plans, Pushing it for Buckeye to Indio might be too much for an S85 especially if there are any winds. The detour though Gila Bend, Yuma and El Centro would require an extra 50 miles or so to get to Garden Grove from Tucson.

Original plan was Buckeye, Quartzsite, Indio, Cabazon, then Santa Ana. Now it might be Gila Bend, Yuma, El Centro, then Indio, Cabazon and Santa Ana. It's an extra 25 miles, which isn't so bad, but it's a lot of 2 lane road from El Centro to Indio

So much for the southern cross country route being covered. :(
I probably wouldn't attempt Indio to Buckeye since it is uphill but Buckeye to Indio might be doable if you are careful (definitely start out under the speed limit). And as you point out you need to watch the winds. Here is a helpful link to give you an idea what you are getting into:

Wind Map

At this moment 10pm PST so presumably little traffic, the route the El Centro is only 6 minutes slower than the route through Quartzsite. It is also a (slightly) more enjoyable drive in my opinion. I should however point out that the Buckeye and Indio superchargers most certainly make for better stops than Gila Bend, Yuma, El Centro, etc.

And definitely don't take a route through both El Centro and Indio as that route would be much slower. The road from El Centro to Indio is not bad however. Good luck with your trip and if you do take the northern route be sure to stop at Quartzsite and report back to us!

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Plus EV- Thanks for the info- I am planning to travel next week, so we'll hopefully get an update between now and then. We'll decide on the final routing just before we leave Tucson. We'll check the navigation system's report and make the decision based upon that. It's been pretty accurate for us so far when traveling, We usually just program the next supercharger as the destination, then charge to 20% more than it takes to get there just to have a reserve. This plan has saved us a few times as I'll explain later

If we do the Gila Bend/Yuma/El Centro route, we'll probably go up to Indio just to avoid the traffic in SD area. I know there will be plenty of traffic going the Indio way too.

I am very aware of how bad the Supercharger locations in Gila Bend, Yuma and El Centro are- The locations are pretty stark, just like Quartzsite and even Buckeye. As a matter of fact El Centro is one of Two superchargers I've been to that the whole site was down, the other was Perry OK a few days after it opened before Tesla replaced the equipment to account for the voltage changes on the incoming power, something I think they do on all installs now. Had to charge at an RV park on that trip to make up for the missing Perry chargers. In El Centro's case - it was the day after a summer storm and it just hadn't been reset from a power outage yet. Limped into Yuma with about 17 miles of indicated range left that day a couple of years ago. We've been on quite a few ( not as many as Plus EV) trips and other than an occasional stall down, we've only had those two problems in over 4 years of ownership

Plus EV- Thanks for the info- I am planning to travel next week, so we'll hopefully get an update between now and then. We'll decide on the final routing just before we leave Tucson. We'll check the navigation system's report and make the decision based upon that. It's been pretty accurate for us so far when traveling, We usually just program the next supercharger as the destination, then charge to 20% more than it takes to get there just to have a reserve. This plan has saved us a few times as I'll explain later

If we do the Gila Bend/Yuma/El Centro route, we'll probably go up to Indio just to avoid the traffic in SD area. I know there will be plenty of traffic going the Indio way too.

I am very aware of how bad the Supercharger locations in Gila Bend, Yuma and El Centro are- The locations are pretty stark, just like Quartzsite and even Buckeye. As a matter of fact El Centro is one of Two superchargers I've been to that the whole site was down, the other was Perry OK a few days after it opened before Tesla replaced the equipment to account for the voltage changes on the incoming power, something I think they do on all installs now. Had to charge at an RV park on that trip to make up for the missing Perry chargers. In El Centro's case - it was the day after a summer storm and it just hadn't been reset from a power outage yet. Limped into Yuma with about 17 miles of indicated range left that day a couple of years ago. We've been on quite a few ( not as many as Plus EV) trips and other than an occasional stall down, we've only had those two problems in over 4 years of ownership
I call those "character builders!"

I've had two as well. One was SLC when power went out during a big thunderstorm. I was driving through it so I wasn't that surprised. I was able to limp in to Tremonton and could have diverted to Tooele if I had to. I noticed power was restored as I was leaving Tremonton so it was only down for 2-3 hours.

The other was a little more of a hairy situation. Was driving from Red Lodge, MT to the West Yellowstone supercharger and got the message in the Nav that the power was out when I was in Cooke City-Silver Gate. I decided to cut short my scenic drive through Yellowstone NP and just drive straight through the park instead. By doing this I was able to limp to the Idaho Falls supercharger. This saved me from having to overnight in West Yellowstone. There were quite a few hotels with L2 chargers there, but many were sold out and it might have been a case where I had to stay at one hotel and beg another to allow me to use their L2 charger. Also, I wasn't planning on staying the night in that town so obviously it wouldn't have been ideal but still not a total disaster.

• Informative
We skipped the Quartzite Supercharger, so no info on why it is closed/reduced. The nav wouldn't use it as a charging location, and routing directly to it got us a warning that it was not available. We had to charge to nearly 100% at Buckeye, 50 minutes to go from 69% to 99%, with the nav estimating 6%-8% remaining at Indio. Nav told us to stay below 75 MPH as soon as we started moving. That worked pretty well, though when the speed limit changed to 65 or 70 MPH I think it assumed we would slow a bit more. We gained a couple percent driving at the 75 MPH speed limit, but lost it in the 65 MPH sections while doing 73 MPH or so. Pulled into Indio with 6% remaining, the lowest we've ever been in the X 100D.

Going back via Las Vegas, so won't see Quartzite again this trip.

Sorry the earlier post was so strange! It was written on the X's browser as we were driving (I was a passenger at the time, so not driving and texting!). Aside from trying to hit the right keyboard buttons as we were driving, the browser moved the post's text box off screen while I typed. So I couldn't see what I was typing and had a pretty high error rate. And although I could type ahead, it took a few seconds (up to maybe 10) for the letters to actually show up in the text box when I stopped and scrolled up to look at it. Somehow the cursor moved during all that, so the last sentence ended up in front of everything else. And of course I'm not used to shift acting as caps lock, so all caps got in there too. But it was so tortuous getting that much done that I sent it anyway.

The one charger we can't (almost) do without!

• Helpful
Saturday morning, I'm the only one here.

Four temporary stalls with 50 kW each are here!

Screenshot_20190217-095913_Gallery.jpg
20190217_095042.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Brisk business at the Quartzsite supercharger Sunday 2/17/19 We were there mid day and over 1/2 of the chargers were in use. Turnover was quick though- we only stayed about 10 min to get enough to safely make Buckeye. As we approached the chargers from Indio- we watched the fill level on the nav screen- Saw it go up to 8 in use one time but with 12 now, it was not a problem today.

We were through there on Wed and the crew was finishing up the install of the temp chargers. They said they were told to make sure it was up for the holiday (President's Day) in anticipation of increased traffic between LA and PHX.

It's great that Tesla is responding to this issue. We'll see if they stay on top of things in other locations as well.

I charged at Gaithersburg this afternoon and all the stalls were full when I left. I didn't realize when I first pulled in, but the stall next to me was ICEd by a plugin hybrid. lol I got to talk to him when I was getting ready to leave and he pointed out the signs say "general parking 30 minutes". So can't really say he was doing anything "wrong".

When he left his slot was immediately filled and when I left 10 minutes later my slot was the only empty one.

Speaking of Quartzite... here are the new Urban stalls getting ICE'd by a biker group (yes, there was plenty of other parking at the time this photo was taken).

2019-03-08 13.33.33.jpg

I'm really hoping for something in Blythe. It seems like charging is < 50kWh anytime more than 4 cars are at the Quartzite stop. I drive the LA->Phoenix corridor twice a month, and there's been a lot of congestion there since the end of last year. Cool to see all the M3's on the road, but at the same time, my commute is taking a hit, ha!

Just passed through there again yesterday. At noon it was pretty busy. 10 out of 12 in use and people were moving their cars back and forth between stalls to find a good charge rate, including me. First stall gave me 9 kW. The temporary one gave me 47 kW. Finally I saw one car leave opening up an unpaired stall and I finally got 100 kW there. The entire time people that came played the same game. Everyone talking to each other trying to figure out which ones is the fastest. One driver insisted that the temporary stalls are the fastest.

It's unfortunate that we have to play this annoying game of trying to find the right stall to get a decent charge speed.

Reactions: tmoz
I'm planning on making a late night drive into Phoenix in a couple weeks and will be returning on a Sunday evening. This Quartzite issue is concerning. I'm thinking of making long stops in Indio and Buckeye and just straight shoting it. This is a really bad Supercharger gap!