Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The urban pallet chargers top out at 30kW.

I can confirm this is true . My wife an I just made our second Phoenix to Anaheim trip in as many months. I have never had to use the temp superchargers before in Quartzsite. Navigation showed 4 stalls available, but to my surprise only 4 teslas in the row of chargers on the dumpster side. Is the navigation marking those temporaries always occupied? I found that an interesting quirk.

With 34%, I pulled into the urban pallet temporaries and found they are positioned very awkwardly in the parking spot so you are risking curb damage pulling in or keeping your nose out when backing in. I only needed to get to 55% charge to get to Buckeye, but could only get 30kW. After 15 minutes, a Model 3 finished up and I could jump over to one of the permanents by the dumpster and immediately went from 45% to 57% in six minutes. So yeah, stick with the permanent chargers.

Reactions: Big Ike
I can confirm this is true . My wife an I just made our second Phoenix to Anaheim trip in as many months. I have never had to use the temp superchargers before in Quartzsite. Navigation showed 4 stalls available, but to my surprise only 4 teslas in the row of chargers on the dumpster side. Is the navigation marking those temporaries always occupied? I found that an interesting quirk.

With 34%, I pulled into the urban pallet temporaries and found they are positioned very awkwardly in the parking spot so you are risking curb damage pulling in or keeping your nose out when backing in. I only needed to get to 55% charge to get to Buckeye, but could only get 30kW. After 15 minutes, a Model 3 finished up and I could jump over to one of the permanents by the dumpster and immediately went from 45% to 57% in six minutes. So yeah, stick with the permanent chargers.

I drive between California and Arizona and Wisconsin a lot. Many other sites that are busy have been upgraded and expanded over the last years. Especially sites that can't be skipped. Quartzsite has been a bottleneck for years now and Tesla has done nothing other then these slow temporary stalls which don't help much. I wonder if the site has limited power or there are other limitations. Tesla really needs to do something about this route. There is a lot of traffic between Los Angeles and Phoenix (and Arizona in general). All these stations that are really just travel charging stops (there is nothing else to do) should be V3. You just want to get back on the road as soon as possible.

Reactions: tmoz and Limited
I drive between California and Arizona and Wisconsin a lot. Many other sites that are busy have been upgraded and expanded over the last years. Especially sites that can't be skipped. Quartzsite has been a bottleneck for years now and Tesla has done nothing other then these slow temporary stalls which don't help much. I wonder if the site has limited power or there are other limitations. Tesla really needs to do something about this route. There is a lot of traffic between Los Angeles and Phoenix (and Arizona in general). All these stations that are really just travel charging stops (there is nothing else to do) should be V3. You just want to get back on the road as soon as possible.
Hey, don’t discount the rock store across the street/dirt road from the CJ/Superchargers. There are some awesome geological samples over there!

Quartzsite has been a bottleneck for years now and Tesla has done nothing other then these slow temporary stalls which don't help much. I wonder if the site has limited power or there are other limitations. Tesla really needs to do something about this route.

As someone who reads and follows a lot of supercharger threads from all over the world, and has seen "<this particular area near me> is being specifically ignored by Tesla! It's the worst supercharger coverage in the world" from people in pretty much every part of the world which has superchargers... ...

... I have to say that Quartzsite is one of the few locations that I 100% agree with the locals on! It is clearly a bottleneck between two rather populous areas, a vital stop for most drivers going either direction (cannot be skipped) and has power supply issues. It is definitely in need of either an upgrade or augmentation with another site (maybe Blythe).

If it was up to me, a V3+battery+solar supercharger would be coming to this route - the faster charging will improve the overall throughput of the site, battery backup would look after the power issues by buffering the grid supply, and solar in this part of the USA is a no-brainer!

Unfortunately I don't get a say in these things :p

As someone who reads and follows a lot of supercharger threads from all over the world, and has seen "<this particular area near me> is being specifically ignored by Tesla! It's the worst supercharger coverage in the world" from people in pretty much every part of the world which has superchargers... ...

... I have to say that Quartzsite is one of the few locations that I 100% agree with the locals on! It is clearly a bottleneck between two rather populous areas, a vital stop for most drivers going either direction (cannot be skipped) and has power supply issues. It is definitely in need of either an upgrade or augmentation with another site (maybe Blythe).

If it was up to me, a V3+battery+solar supercharger would be coming to this route - the faster charging will improve the overall throughput of the site, battery backup would look after the power issues by buffering the grid supply, and solar in this part of the USA is a no-brainer!

Unfortunately I don't get a say in these things :p

I couldn't agree more with this statement. What's worse is the Indio supercharger that people often rely on before/after this quartszite stop is now also having issue with multiple stalls on the fritz. Given the holidays are right around the corner, these issues need to be addressed fast.

I recently found an area of the tesla website where you can suggest a supercharger location and I submitted one for Blythe. Perhaps if enough people do the same, this bottleneck may get addressed.

Reactions: Big Ike
Tesla is totally aware of the congestion. They do monitor supercharger usage and traffic of all their cars. They know very well there is an issue. That's why I'm so frustrated with the lack of action.
My guess is there is something out of their control - utility, land, permit...

They are aware of the problem, and are building superchargers all over the country (100 under construction and another 50 permits right now in US/Canada). I don't think they are intentionally ignoring this route.

Reactions: David99
Some guy in the AZ FB group claims that he knows a guy who owns all the Carl’s Jr. in Arizona. The guy says that we will see V3 in Blythe soon as they just struck a deal.

That would be awesome! Getting to Quartzsite from Los Angeles is hard because of the distance and the last uphill section. To Blythe is doable without too much trouble, though. A V3 in Blythe would allow most people to skip Indio and Cabazoon and then easily make it to Buckeye. That would solve two problems (Indio and Quartzsite) with one station.

So... not sure if the "some guy in an AZ FG Group" was me or not but I posted on Sept 28 that I picked up the same guy (Largest franchisee of Carl's Jr in AZ) while Ubering in my Tesla. He didn't mention Blythe at all, only Quartzite but said they were getting new chargers there...so something is def in the works, but until there's a building permit or construction in either place, it's just rumors now. I'm confident it will happen, just not sure on if it's Blythe, Quartzite or both.

Nov 9:
20191109_153203.jpg

Wow! I just drove through here and considered scouting the Love's across the freeway from the current Quartzsite supercharger, but in the end I didn't because of the news of a Blythe supercharger coming in. I didn't even consider scouting Ehrenberg. I would have to think that the Blythe supercharger isn't going to happen if these two are being built. My best guess is the Flying J in Ehrenberg and the Love's in Quartzsite. There isn't much else in Ehrenberg and I doubt they would try to squeeze 28 stalls into the current Quartzsite location.