Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Sensing Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are rain sensing wipers currently standard on all Teslas? Is this something that we should fully expect to have even on the base model? My 2008 Mazda 3 GT has them and I've actually really enjoyed them, especially living here in the foothills of the cascades just east of Seattle (weather changes every 5 minutes).

WHAT?! There are rain sensing windshield wipers? Perhaps I've been living under a rock. That's the coolest thing since headlights that turn of automatically when it gets dark. I'm not even being sarcastic, I've simply been out of the loop.

They have been a base-model feature of BMWs for 10years.

"Located on the inner top edge of the windscreen, the rain sensor is activated using the interval control of the windscreen wiper. Using infrared technology, it recognises drops of water on the windscreen and adjusts the speed of the windscreen wiper to suit the intensity of the rain.
In heavier rainfall or when accelerating to pass a long vehicle, for example, the windscreen wipers automatically increase in pace to ensure unimpeded vision."

Reactions: WhiskySTL and JeffK
They're a blessing or a curse depending on the implementation. I have them on my Audi A4 and hate them. The wipers don't start moving until you're driving over 10MPH, requiring you to manually flip the switch up and down after starting the car, unless you want to drive blind until you get up to speed. They also don't perform flawlessly in mildly rainy conditions, sometimes running at high speeds when there's very little rain. They also get tricked by sunlight. Hopefully Tesla designs theirs better than Audi.

They're a blessing or a curse depending on the implementation. I have them on my Audi A4 and hate them. The wipers don't start moving until you're driving over 10MPH, requiring you to manually flip the switch up and down after starting the car, unless you want to drive blind until you get up to speed. They also don't perform flawlessly in mildly rainy conditions, sometimes running at high speeds when there's very little rain. They also get tricked by sunlight. Hopefully Tesla designs theirs better than Audi.
I hope there are options to turn it off, as well as auto headlights.

Some doucher was tailgating me the other day, so I gave him the ol' windshield wiper fluid treatment a couple times and it was hilarious. The wipers turned on automatically, then a couple seconds later, the headlights turned on. After 10-15 seconds, the headlights turned off, only for me to repeat the process. Everybody must've thought he was some crazy person constantly turning his head/taillights on and off during a beautiful sunny day.

Close look at Tesla Model 3 with new deliveries

It looks like there isn't even an option on the model 3 for intermittent wipers let alone rain-sensing based on this video. This is nuts unless they plan on rolling out rain-sensing in the very near future.

This guy was doing an AMA on M3OC last night, and his Model 3 is a few software updates behind one of the guys in CA who already took delivery.

Remember...these are still employees and family.....the UI and some functionality isn't there yet, but will be before non-employees start taking delivery next month.

TL;DR just because this guy's UI doesn't show it as available doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

Yes, it's standard on both. I don't think it's safe to assume it will be standard on the 3, but it could be.

Can you call it Standard if it doesn't actually exist/work?

TL;DR just because this guy's UI doesn't show it as available doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

AP2 Model S and X don't have rain sensing wipers. Almost a year that AP2 hardware has been around.

Just because Tesla said its coming doesn't mean it'll happen in any reasonable timeframe.

Rain sensing wipers on my old Sig did work - kinda. In some situations they worked well enough, but a light drizzle would completely defeat them. They wouldn't wipe until after I couldn't see. Frog in a pot situation or something.

As a result I am somewhat ambivalent about the lack of rain sensing in my new car, because at least it has delay wipers that work well.

It seems as if Tesla wants to use the cameras to do rain sensing, since the usual sensors are not present. Open question is whether it will work.

Reactions: Petra