Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are people using to gauge their battery degradation\capacity? I have been using ABRP app, and it reports 7.1% battery loss, however my 90% rated range is around 251 miles on my 2018 stealth P3D with 18k miles. My calculation is that is around 280 miles rated range at 100%, which from the graph above looks pretty far below the fleet average, and probably closer to >10% loss? A lot of that loss seems to have happened over the last few months even though i haven't been driving it much (I super charged it a few times, usually at an urban charger). I just did a few ~2 hour trips and i was hoping it might rebalance, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I'm wondering if i should make a service appointment, but i'm guessing they will just tell me everything is within spec?

What are people using to gauge their battery degradation\capacity? I have been using ABRP app, and it reports 7.1% battery loss, however my 90% rated range is around 251 miles on my 2018 stealth P3D with 18k miles. My calculation is that is around 280 miles rated range at 100%, which from the graph above looks pretty far below the fleet average, and probably closer to >10% loss? A lot of that loss seems to have happened over the last few months even though i haven't been driving it much (I super charged it a few times, usually at an urban charger). I just did a few ~2 hour trips and i was hoping it might rebalance, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I'm wondering if i should make a service appointment, but i'm guessing they will just tell me everything is within spec?

Just look at the rated range. For kwh without tmc you can just charge to 100% and use the energy consumption meter by timing est remaining range times.average wattage.
The closer you go to 0% soc the less of the buffer gets taken into account though so its really only accurate above 70%

I have no idea what ABRP is using to report degradation, it shows my battery capacity to by 70.1kWh when it's 68.9kWh has shown through the ODB2 adapter and ScanMyTesla (which is for sure the most accurate way to know)

Abrp uses supercharger data only afaik.

I have done my 100% charge yesterday and then 14h of driving yesterday. I did get around 4km after the 100% of range back. Car unfortuantely only went to sleep for 15min and then woke for 3h and then started sleeping again but it was time to leave.... On SMT my Kwh only went up from 69.4 to 69.6 kwh. Even though the 69.4 was displayed for 452km range and the 69.6 from 457km.

Last edited:
Just look at the rated range. For kwh without tmc you can just charge to 100% and use the energy consumption meter by timing est remaining range times.average wattage.
The closer you go to 0% soc the less of the buffer gets taken into account though so its really only accurate above 70%
Another reson for wanting higher SOC when doing the calculation is that the resulotion of 1 % is 1/100 at 100% but only 1/10 at 10% SOC.
That said, I did a lot of calcs and compared to SMT, so I have some down to 40% and these calcs was more or less spot on also

Another reson for wanting higher SOC when doing the calculation is that the resulotion of 1 % is 1/100 at 100% but only 1/10 at 10% SOC.
That said, I did a lot of calcs and compared to SMT, so I have some down to 40% and these calcs was more or less spot on also

Also the buffer being partially accounted for as capacity is reduced is corrected for by dividing by SoC %, so that is not a source of error for battery capacity calculation - it’s only an error source if you are trying to figure out how much energy remains (the value calculated will be low).

For full capacity calculations, the only significant source of error (other than the error in the estimate itself), assuming Wh/mi and projected range are 3 sig figs, is the SoC % rounding error that you mention. At 40%, it is kind of luck of the draw...the error could be close to zero. Various people have also posted methods using the trip planner page of the Energy screen to interpolate the exact % (one extra significant digit), but I have personally never tried that method to see how well it works. Seems like it might work.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAKEE
At 40%, it is kind of luck of the draw...the error could be close to zero. Various people have also posted methods using the trip planner page of the Energy screen to interpolate the exact % (one extra significant digit), but I have personally never tried that method to see how well it works. Seems like it might work.
Depends how exact your anticipation of a good enough number is ?

At 40% the maximum fault wouyld be 1/40, around 2.5%. So the average fault should be about half or 1.25%. On a 70kWh nominal pack thats 0.87kWh. For the sake of the degradation calculation if your car has some age and has lost about 8%, the fault on the degradation will average 0,87kwh out of 6.2kWh, so the degradation calculation ends between with 7% or 9% on average. Worst case, 6% or 10%.

I dont recommend using low SOC for the calculation, just to show that it isnt extremely of anyway. The 70% statement might be change to ”the higher SOC the more exact result.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Also the buffer being partially accounted for as capacity is reduced is corrected for by dividing by SoC %, so that is not a source of error for battery capacity calculation - it’s only an error source if you are trying to figure out how much energy remains (the value calculated will be low).

For full capacity calculations, the only significant source of error (other than the error in the estimate itself), assuming Wh/mi and projected range are 3 sig figs, is the SoC % rounding error that you mention. At 40%, it is kind of luck of the draw...the error could be close to zero. Various people have also posted methods using the trip planner page of the Energy screen to interpolate the exact % (one extra significant digit), but I have personally never tried that method to see how well it works. Seems like it might work.
Thats what i meant

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
My new 2021 long range 2021.4.15 updated filled to 90%= 317 miles, I drive 45 miles down to 262 miles, overnight parked in garage 248 miles. Is this normal? I do drive fast with aggressive accelerations.
The short answer is: Probably.

The long answer is: Make yourself a big pot of fresh coffee, and start reading the sticky threads on the Model 3: Battery & Charging subforum. With the information you can find there, you'll be able to determine exactly what your battery's health is.

The medium answer: You know how new cars have stickers on them with the government miles per gallon ratings, that always end with the "your mileage may vary" statement? This also applies to electric vehicles. The EPA assigns a certain energy usage per mile driven under specific temperatures, and obtains an estimated range for that vehicle. Assuming your battery is in 100% health, if you then drive the car in the EXACT manner and atmospheric conditions that the EPA did to obtain those range estimates, your car should do the same. But the second you drive it outside of those parameters, the estimates mean exactly nothing.

Honestly, I think it's worth the time to spend a few minutes per day reading through the sub forum I linked above, and learning enough to really understand why your car gets the range it does for the way you drive it, how it charges the battery both at home and at super chargers, how super chargers share the available power between stalls, and a lot more very nice-to-know information. Don't be intimidated by the length of the threads... there's a lot of posts that you can skip. You can start by skipping all of the posts made by me, but pay extra attention to posts by @AlanSubie4Life

Enjoy your car!

Last edited:
Here are some tips
1) For daily commutes set your charge level to 80%, it's better for the battery. Use 90% for road trips.
2) Keep your car plugged in at home.
3) Unless you live in a bad neighborhood turn off Sentry Mode at home, it keeps the car awake which vastly increases the phantom drain.
4) Look at the trip computers to see how much energy you are using. To get them swipe right on the bottom of the screen or use the voice command "Show Odometer". There are four sections, Energy used on this trip, Energy used since plugged in and Trip A and B. Leave Trip B alone, if you never reset it you'll have your statistics since you bought the car. Use Trip A for specific trips.

Energy usage is a function of speed, weather, HVAC usage, tire inflation. For speed remember that K=1/2MV^2, i.e. kinetic energy is a function of the square of the velocity, loses due to drag and friction all reduce down to some variant of this equation. Heating and cooling can use a lot of energy. I live in New England so cooling is basically free for most of the spring and summer because our ambient temperatures are in the comfortable range most of the time, there are a couple of bad weeks where it goes up to the 90s but mostly it's OK. Winter is really expensive for those of us without heat pumps, we lose about a third of our range if we turn on our heaters. You have the heat pump so it won't be that bad but heat isn't free as it is on an ICEV. I keep my tires at 41psi cold.

One final suggestion, if you are interested in tracking yoir range and energy usage install Tezlab on your phone and link it to your Tesla account. The free version only looks back one week, the premium version looks back forever.

Last edited:
Switch to percentage display and don't look back.

As for the 14 "miles" overnight.. sentry mode perhaps?
I did that for a while, and it works for short daily commutes. However, seeing the rated mile is good when planning longer trips, since a number of us have seen large enough degradation (15% in my case) that a trip the car can make previously may no longer be the case now.

Totally not related to Tesla, but just as a data point, my 4.5 year old Chevy Spark EV is approaching 40% capacity loss. It’s quite low mileage too (22.5k miles). It’s down to substantially less than 12kWh capacity, from its start around 18.5kWh. Warranty replacement is 40% loss, so we will see. Have 3.5 years to go. I like my chances. Lol. As long as it doesn’t catch on fire in my garage and immolate my Performance Model 3 I’ll be happy. Need to install a networked smoke detector in there.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
I did that for a while, and it works for short daily commutes. However, seeing the rated mile is good when planning longer trips, since a number of us have seen large enough degradation (15% in my case) that a trip the car can make previously may no longer be the case now.
All the more reason to register, for free, with ABRP. It'll automatically pull your car's data, including deg, ambient temps, calibrate your car's efficiency, determine your speed overage, and calculate whether you can or cannot make your regular trip.
IMG_9573.jpeg