Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I write here even if is not directly related to "Range Loss over Time....."
I have the new 2022.36.02 and SMT is now Crazy .
I lost NFP and SOC's and all related data.
Just an an example of flickering data:

1665766594035.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I write here even if is not directly related to "Range Loss over Time....."
I have the new 2022.36.02 and SMT is now Crazy .
I lost NFP and SOC's and all related data.
Just an an example of flickering data:

View attachment 863786
I heard the same in a Swe forum.

Probably we get an update fixing this.

Until then, continue with 10.000% SOC, thats the only way to counter a 0.0kWh NFP :)

At what point in my ownership do I begin to obsess over this? I just broke 1,000 miles. I charge once a week to 80%, drive it and park it until its down to about 40 and then charge it up again.
No need to obsess -use your car how you want. You'll save a bit of battery if you follow the advice found in this thread, there's plenty of it! Otherwise just enjoy the car :cool:

At what point in my ownership do I begin to obsess over this? I just broke 1,000 miles. I charge once a week to 80%, drive it and park it until its down to about 40 and then charge it up again.
If you plan to obsess about it, earlier is better.

50% charge every day if it works for you is the summary.

No need to obsess -use your car how you want. You'll save a bit of battery if you follow the advice found in this thread, there's plenty of it! Otherwise just enjoy the car :cool:
Look, there is nothing wrong with being aware of the best practices when operating any complex piece of machinery. Having said that, the "just enjoy the car" mindset is perfectly consistent with that way of thinking. Our Teslas are autos we are supposed to use. They have, as do all devices, finite life spans.

Unless you routinely run your Tesla at +100 mph routinely, like to take it off road, or otherwise perform "exotic" types of driving with your car, then the 80%~40% is about as good as your gonna git with battery life.

Rich

I can't speak about other users with the LG 74.5 kWh battery but here what my 2021 LR MiC did after its first year. Refer posts #5248, #5251 and #5252.
I also have a MiC M3LR with the LG75 battery…only 12500 km on the clock. I try to keep it at 55% but it has been a long hot summer in the South of France…recently charged it 100% for a road trip to Italy (still here😎). 546km at 100% (339.3miles) so the loss is almost negligible. And the car did that…first day on French and Italian freeways (the Italian roads are so slow😡) I recorded 376 km with 29% remaining

I also have a MiC M3LR with the LG75 battery…only 12500 km on the clock. I try to keep it at 55% but it has been a long hot summer in the South of France…recently charged it 100% for a road trip to Italy (still here😎). 546km at 100% (339.3miles) so the loss is almost negligible. And the car did that…first day on French and Italian freeways (the Italian roads are so slow😡) I recorded 376 km with 29% remaining

A lot of people was worried when there was three options and it was the he coincidence that put you with either a 75kWh LG or the 82kWh Panna.

I bet there is people that would have been very disappointed and even would have rejected a LG battery that today happily sit with a lower battery capacity than you do today dispite they started with 82kWh :)

Your LR still is a LR!

Bouba - great to hear that outcome for your M3s 1st year (I guess).

Reactions: Bouba
My late September 2021 MIC LR with LG has been kept mostly in the 20% - 55% range, with a few charges above 80%.

Plus five charges to 100% complete for when I visit family in Malmö, max range data shown below:

546km March
544km April
541km July
538km August
537km September

Somewhere around 22000km on the clock for the last reading.

I do not have any special monitoring apps set up, but I feel the degradation is decent?
Being an electric car beginner I did not think of recording the max range figure when the car was brand new, does anyone know typical max value when new for these cars?

Bonus picture of me having all of Varberg to myself, unfortunately the battery had gone bacon so I did not get full effect.

IMG_8444.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba and KenC
My late September 2021 MIC LR with LG has been kept mostly in the 20% - 55% range, with a few charges above 80%.

Plus five charges to 100% complete for when I visit family in Malmö, max range data shown below:

546km March
544km April
541km July
538km August
537km September

I do not have any special monitoring apps set up, but I feel the degradation is decent?
Being an electric car beginner I did not think of recording the max range figure when the car was brand new, does anyone know typical max value when new for these cars?

Bonus picture of me having all of Varberg to myself, unfortunately the battery had gone bacon so I did not get full effect.

View attachment 865322
Based on your geolocation your average battery cell temperature is very likely much<25°C (the "storage temperature"). Do know what your average SoC% has been? Your Max Rated Range is holding up above the "degradation threshold" at around 540 KM which suggests that your battery degradation is quite low. If I had to guess I would estimate 2-3% or even less, based on the graphs shown by @AAKEE. It's nice to hear from M3 owners with the LG M48 74.5 kWh battery. My thoughts only :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouba

546km March
544km April
541km July
538km August
537km September

View attachment 865322
I also didn’t realise the importance of recording data when I first got the car one year ago. You can treat it like any other vehicle and just drive.,,but if you want to geek out the learning curve is very steep.
But my memory is either I lost one kilometre or I gained two…to me the real important point is that I actually get the EPA range when I drive…but I am not a fast driver (though I am now the fastest accelerating slow driver on the road 😀). But during this last summer’s heatwave I did mostly short trips with loads of air conditioning and that really hurt the range.
I also realise that next year or next week I could be crying to all of you about my lost range…you have to be philosophic with a battery car😎

Reactions: DrGriz
Based on your geolocation your average battery cell temperature is very likely much<25°C (the "storage temperature"). Do know what your average SoC% has been?

Yes, average battery temperature should be well below 25°C, it is not hot around here and the car is parked in an underground garage that keeps around 18°C year round. Average SoC should be below 50% I think.

It's nice to hear from M3 owners with the LG M48 74.5 kWh battery.

The rebate club :)

you have to be philosophic with a battery car😎

Indeed, but I am curious about the max EPA kilometers shown in these cars when brand new. If I recall correctly it was sold to me as 580km WLTP range.

If I recall correctly it was sold to me as 580km WLTP range.
EPA rated miles/km is what is shown in the vehicle.

This was about 568km for the 77.8kWh battery. I don’t remember because not sure what the initial capacity was exactly for the LG. But assuming it was 75kWh that would suggest 568km*75kWh/77.8kWh = 548km

But there is a thread around here where this is documented. Just too lazy to look it up. It might have also varied from vehicle to vehicle a little bit (a few km) because the degradation threshold may have still been set to 77.8kWh (not sure about that).

Reactions: frodebh