Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

real world all models 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did a 0-60 time in my S85 of 5.0 seconds. Completely non-scientific and spur of the moment: used my cell phone video camera, kids in back, playing their Teen Beach Movie soundtrack (which can upset one's concentration), and hit around a 2% gradient on the run. It's amazing that I could match MotorTrend's time of the S85 without even trying. I do think that you can get at least 4.9 with better conditions and a VBox.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VabxypssQfE

still no standard 85 0-60 time on a vox or anything?
See above. S85 = standard 85.

1/4 times

I have the VBOX to test out an 85 if someone want's to try it out in South Florida, will even meet them at PBIR (drag strip) if they would like....

Has anybody in the country yet matched Tesla times of 10.9 for the P90D?
Do you think everyone is coming up short since the taller rim size of 21" reduces gear ratio which produces better top speed but poorer 1/4 times ? Every motor head knows this.
I have my P90D being delivered during the month of March and ordered 19" Rims to check the difference. I also think the glass roof extra weight causes slow down as well but no body at Tesla customer service or delivery will tell me the in weight delta.

Has anybody in the country yet matched Tesla times of 10.9 for the P90D?
Do you think everyone is coming up short since the taller rim size of 21" reduces gear ratio which produces better top speed but poorer 1/4 times ? Every motor head knows this.
I have my P90D being delivered during the month of March and ordered 19" Rims to check the difference. I also think the glass roof extra weight causes slow down as well but no body at Tesla customer service or delivery will tell me the in weight delta.
The 19" and 21" wheels have the same tire diameter (21"wheels have less tire depth from rim to outside) therefore there is no difference in gearing. The 19" combination is lighter and may be quicker.

stock tires.....

The best recorded time yet of a P90D 1/4 mile time, but it wasn't done with stock wheels and tires. We're still looking at 11.3 something for the best P90D 1/4 time for a completely stock car, right?

- - - Updated - - -

P90D with 19"s wasn't any quicker than my car on 21"s at the track, same day....

A couple pounds on this car just isn't signifiant....

- - - Updated - - -

the real question is how is the Model X that is much heavier just as fast as the Model S from a roll....

stock tires.....

- - - Updated - - -

P90D with 19"s wasn't any quicker than my car on 21"s at the track, same day....

- - - Updated - - -

the real question is how is the Model X that is much heavier just as fast as the Model S from a roll....

I think the Model X is actually making a lot more power than a SP90DL:

Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 3.08.08 PM.png

This XP90DL meter is quite a bit further past the 4 than either the SP90DL or S85DL.

The scaled is logarithmic so the next tick mark would be 800KW. So this looks like it's well past 500KW.

stock tires.....

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Someone else has produced a 1.619 60ft time, a 60ft time which so far would appear to be necessary to have a shot at breaking 11.3 in the quarter mile for a Model S.

However this time it was done in a P85D i.e. a P85D with Ludicrous, though it was an 1/8 mile pass.

That said, looking at the splits and comparing them to your 11.2x passes in the Model S P90D, this pass would appear to have had a very good shot at breaking 11.3 in the quarter.

The time slip is shown at 1:48 of the video. At 7:05 of the video, the car appears to be on stock wheels and stock rubber.

Drag Racing and Review of Dads Ludicrous mode Tesla P85D - Runs as fast as P90D - YouTube

I'm thinking that the low end quarter mile times for the Model S cars with Ludicrous are going to wind up in the 11.1x - 11.2x range.

Last edited:
This was my concern from the beginning but no one I have seen has challenged this weight issue.
I wish someone at the store would have disclosed this when I ordered mine. And I did ask.

2015 Tesla Model S P90D Test Car and Driver

The P90D’s 11.1-second, 121-mph quarter-mile run

Due care is necessary to achieve these results. Options that add ballast, including the Model S’s huge sunroof, rear-facing seats, and second battery charger, must be avoided.

George,

I've been pondering this very question giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt that the car can actually produce a 10.9 second (not 10.99 but 10.9 second) run. Getting access to data gave an idea of what, if any, limiting is being done thus what limiting could be "set aside" to achieve a faster 1/4 mile time. It is clear when you compare a 40 mph throttle stab to a launch from zero that Tesla is controlling current delivery on the launch. Current is allowed to surge directly to its maximum (1300 ish Insane or 1500 ish amps Luda) during a rolling stab while the current ramp is much more gentle on the launch. This idea is backed up by seeing motor torques go to a set value then plateau there until the current limit is reached. As mentioned earlier, the maximum combined torque from the data agrees nicely with that published by Tesla.

My initial take on the data was that Tesla could allow access to a much higher current ramp at launch. MS could very well make use of more first second torque on a properly prepped drag strip. Any benefit from the first second is carried all the way down the track thus the potential is there for more initial torque to provide the needed 3 tenths (plus) to achieve a ten second run. The rub here is that, in doing so, Tesla would be exceeding their published torque spec for the car.

As it stands now, I do not see how a car meeting Tesla's published maximum torque spec can achieve the advertised 1/4 mile time. I also do not see any other hidden performance options as Tesla is using all the battery can provide beyond the first second. To go faster means you must put more energy into the platform. Beyond the first second, there simply is no more energy available.

I didn't see in the Motor Trend article if they published their 0-30 times but it would be interesting to compare it to those on this board. Motor Trend getting a 2.6 0-60 time (better than mfg specs) would certainly indicate their test car had more power in the first second than any P90DL our fellow owners have tested. Maybe they accidentally got a maximum plaid test vehicle. :)

My belief is extra weight of the various options that were ordered with our cars will end up being the issue.
Find out how the exact options list Tesla did this time with and this will provide the clues to your question.
Ask any of the regulars at the local 1/4 mile track and they will tell you how much in tenths you'll be off with and extra 150 lbs. or more