Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic Range with the Short-Range Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This depends on person driving style.

My Model S says EPA 259 miles but I get nearly 300 miles.

My Model X says EPA 295 miles but I average out 335 miles per 98.4 kwh cycles..

So if EPA calculation is 220 miles. I can expect about 250 miles at least for base.

This makes the Model 3 a really good car.

Not everyone wants to drive the car at 55 mph hyper-
I don't know if the 45 minutes is correct, but once you use up the 90 extra miles you start with, guess what happens ?

Sure, but that's an extra 75 minutes of drive time and the LR also charges more quickly.

I have a philosophical objection to stopping every 2 hours when driving and spending 45 minutes recharging the battery.

Same here

You'll probably have to stop twice with the long range as well. I drive my P85D from the Bay Area to LA pretty often and I make at LEAST two stops, depending on how fast I'm driving (I5). This is with the battery fully charged when I start.

That would be really annoying. What's the range on a P85D?

My current vehicle can make the SF --> LA trip without a stop for gas, with about 80 miles of range left. However, I often make one stop just for a bathroom break and I top up the gas in case something crazy happens at the grapevine since I'm already stopped. Still, that's like 30 minutes tops. I can live with 1 45 minute break. 2 of those would feel REALLY long as it's such a boring drive. I'd really have to reconsider taking the M3 when doing that trip then and just using my current vehicle.

Same here

My current vehicle can make the SF --> LA trip without a stop for gas, with about 80 miles of range left. However, I often make one stop just for a bathroom break and I top up the gas in case something crazy happens at the grapevine since I'm already stopped. Still, that's like 30 minutes tops. I can live with 1 45 minute break. 2 of those would feel REALLY long as it's such a boring drive. I'd really have to reconsider taking the M3 when doing that trip then and just using my current vehicle.

Keep in mind that we are quoting worst case scenario of cold temps and higher speeds where you might get about 75% of ideal range.

More than likely with the long range version you could do the trip with a single recharge of the battery.

The p85d that someone quoted above has 253 miles of EPA rated range when the battery is new.

• Helpful
Reactions: gambit48
Same here

I've been estimating about 5 miles a minute recharging rate, so for a 400 mile trip

SR: (400 -220)/5 = 36 minutes to recharge
LR: (400-310)/5 = 18 minutes to recharge

These are minimums. Add a few minutes for a buffer

• Helpful
No.
Figure an extra 25 kWh in the LR model and a charge rate of ~ 70 kW. So you add 25/70 of an hour to equal an LR battery capacity.

On even longer trips the faster charge time of the LR will of course save more time.

No. The battery on the LR is about 50% larger than the SR model battery. If the base model would need a recharge at 2 hours in non ideal conditions the LR should go about an extra hour before recharge.

And yes, it also recharges noticeably quicker.

• Helpful
Keep in mind that we are quoting worst case scenario of cold temps and higher speeds where you might get about 75% of ideal range.

More than likely with the long range version you could do the trip with a single recharge of the battery.

The p85d that someone quoted above has 253 miles of EPA rated range when the battery is new.

I had just typed something similar to this. The only additional thing to add is that it wouldn't be two 45 minute stops even if you stopped twice. You charge faster at the beginning, so two 25 minute stops might allow you to drive faster and take the same amount of time as one 45 minute stop.

Reactions: voip-ninja
I have a philosophical objection to stopping every 2 hours when driving and spending 45 minutes recharging the battery.
Takes less than 45 minutes.
Usually about 20 minutes is best, charging in the sweet spot 20% to 60%.
Plus with charging at the destination you can leave full and arrive empty, so you don't need to replace all your charge at a supercharger as you go.

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk

I've been estimating about 5 miles a minute recharging rate, so for a 400 mile trip

SR: (400 -220)/5 = 36 minutes to recharge
LR: (400-310)/5 = 18 minutes to recharge

These are minimums. Add a few minutes for a buffer

Thanks guys! Very helpful!

What's "cold temps" and "higher speeds"? I'm guessing higher speeds means 75-80? That's pretty much flow of traffic on the 5 freeway when going btw NorCal and SoCal. For temps, I don't think it drops much more than 30 degrees F except on really rare occasions, in which the grapevine is probably closed due to snow and is totally blocked. If it's hot, does that help or hurt range? I'm talking 100+ degrees.

I had just typed something similar to this. The only additional thing to add is that it wouldn't be two 45 minute stops even if you stopped twice. You charge faster at the beginning, so two 25 minute stops might allow you to drive faster and take the same amount of time as one 45 minute stop.

A lot will be determined by how you drive. Our speed limits are a little slower here in Canada but if we set the cruise to the speed limit (normally 90 km/h with occasional 100 km/h and sometimes 80 kmh in twisty areas we consistently get a comfortable 200 km out of a car that's supposed to have 176 km of range and that's with some reserve as well...and AC set at 25. This is on a 2016 Nissan Leaf. 30 KWh battery.

The battery on the LR is about 50% larger than the SR model battery. If the base model would need a recharge at 2 hours in non ideal conditions the LR should go about an extra hour before recharge.
310/220 = 1.41
But more to the point, 25 kWh battery capacity

Think about it this way:
I leave for a trip
Use up the battery
Charge up 25 kWh and am ready to continue the trip

You leave 25/70th of an hour after me in the LR
Arrive at my SC as I disconnect with 25 kWh charge while you have 25 kWh remaining

Last edited:
Takes less than 45 minutes.
Usually about 20 minutes is best, charging in the sweet spot 20% to 60%.
Plus with charging at the destination you can leave full and arrive empty, so you don't need to replace all your charge at a supercharger as you go.

Tesla says that the short range model recovers 130 miles of range in 30 minutes. So yeah, making one stop with a nearly depleted battery would be about 45 minutes of charge time.

Recovering that same range in long range model would be about 10-15 minutes faster.

Same here

No, with the LR just one stop would be required.
It's about 400 miles SF to LA, and the LR has about 300 miles range. You'd need an extra 100 miles in charging, which is about 20 minutes charging at 300mph. Call it a 30 min stop and you're totally covered.
Also, don't forget that charging is more pleasant than refueling. You don't have to stand there holding the pump, or go and pay. Just plug in, wander off, toilet break, get a coffee, walk back to car, check a few emails on your phone, unplug and leave.

Reactions: Falkirk and DR61
Thanks guys! Very helpful!

What's "cold temps" and "higher speeds"? I'm guessing higher speeds means 75-80? That's pretty much flow of traffic on the 5 freeway when going btw NorCal and SoCal. For temps, I don't think it drops much more than 30 degrees F except on really rare occasions, in which the grapevine is probably closed due to snow and is totally blocked. If it's hot, does that help or hurt range? I'm talking 100+ degrees.

You can best figure this out by playing with Tesla range estimator which lets you play with speed, outside temperatures and whether you will use the AC or heater during your drive. This exists for model S but expect similar range affects on model 3.

Also after about 40K miles the battery will only be about 95% of what it did when new.

For anyone in a colder climate who plans to do occasional longer drives at highway speeds and doesn't want to stop and recharge frequently the LR model should be a no brainer purchase if you can afford it.

Tesla says that the short range model recovers 130 miles of range in 30 minutes. So yeah, making one stop with a nearly depleted battery would be about 45 minutes of charge time.

Recovering that same range in long range model would be about 10-15 minutes faster.
But you don't have to recharge to full. You just have to arrive at your destination with 10% or so battery.

Reactions: EinSV