Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear passenger window exploded.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
My rear windscreen seemed to had same issue it exploded for no reason. The whole glass pane is shattered.
Further inspection from autoglass they suggested potentially the heating instrument caused this fault
Tesla have not admitted fault in product only given me an estimate of replacement which is frustrating not sure what to do

Attachments

• IMG_3955.jpeg
    IMG_3955.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3957.jpeg
    IMG_3957.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 74
Hello
My rear windscreen seemed to had same issue it exploded for no reason. The whole glass pane is shattered.
Further inspection from autoglass they suggested potentially the heating instrument caused this fault
Tesla have not admitted fault in product only given me an estimate of replacement which is frustrating not sure what to do
That looks more like something external broke through. Given proximity to the building, maybe something fell off and into the glass. Did you check the interior or nearby to see if there are any objects that could have fell on it?

There have been stress cracks reported for rear window, but they don't result in shattering like in your case. The shattering typically happens to the side windows, and Tesla only have covered it when there is video evidence of it shattering spontaneously.

Reactions: nate704
Hello
Was your rear window aftermarket tinted? Lots of issues with window tint and the rear heat strip causing broken windows. Don't know if it gets cut when they apply the tint or too much heat gets trapped or what. I just know I've seen threads about it here and/or on reddit in the past.

Was your rear window aftermarket tinted? Lots of issues with window tint and the rear heat strip causing broken windows. Don't know if it gets cut when they apply the tint or too much heat gets trapped or what. I just know I've seen threads about it here and/or on reddit in the past.
But those cases are all stress cracks, many of which Tesla still covered under warranty. It's not the window shattering.

Hello
Those are very odd. The 2nd one looks like something fell thru the glass. Did someone go thru your neighborhood hammering random cars?

Thanks reply I checked for any debris or evidence of external factor that caused it.
Checked on the sentry mode for anyone approaching the vehicle but nothing
my first thought perhaps something fell through it.
Further inspection Looked in the boot nothing was found not any fragments of any stone or anything near the vicinity of the building.
Very unusual, no aftermarket tints as original, I did remember using the heat setting for rear glass as weather been quite humid and a mix bag.
Very unusual no explanation

Did they explain, or just say it's the rear window defogger? Sounds like an urban legend being promoted. Lets get Sherlock Holmes involved. Based on the lipstick on the glass and the pumps next to the car, it was caused from being too close to a hot babe.
Haha no idea autoglass engineer suggested potentially could be heating instrument in rear windscreen to caused this as it tempered glass. But very unusual they said for that to happen could potentially be fault on fixing of the glass to vehicle.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Haha no idea autoglass engineer suggested potentially could be heating instrument in rear windscreen to caused this as it tempered glass. But very unusual they said for that to happen could potentially be fault on fixing of the glass to vehicle.
Improperly installed or defective glass have resulted in stress cracks but not a major shatter like yours. Only thing I can think of is if the glass was oversized, which when expanded may have stress all around, and I would only expect that perhaps with third party aftermarket glass. Did you own this car since factory? Do you know if the rear glass was ever replaced?

Anyways, if you have video evidence where it is clear it just randomly shattered, you may be able to submit for a warranty claim, although it sounds like you already replaced it, so may be too late.

Hello

I was under the impression that M3 roof and rear glass was laminated. Laminated glass would not come apart like the glass in your photos. So, I guess only the roof is laminated. What puzzles me is that non laminated glass in auto side windows shatters as depicted in the photos of the Flightman's car in his first post. I would think that your rear glass would fracture like that. However, it appears that your glass damage is a large hole with no craze cracking typical of side auto glass. It has largely held together outside of the hole. Perhaps it is a type of glass with properties somewhere between laminated and side window glass? Only Tesla would know for sure.

As for the cause, It looks like someone jumped on the car and put their foot through the glass; just a wild guess though.

Hi dusty

Thank you when i had it inspected by the autoglass repair engineer, they suggested the rear windscreen glass is a temper glass that similar to the side windows, that easy to shatter on impact.
The top glass roof would be same as the front windscreen that needs to be strong enough to withhold roll over and not shatter as easy.

i thought it was an object that dropped and went through the middle, but on investigating there was no object to be seen or fragment of anything.
I checked sentry mode straight away, picked up absolutely nothing same with the inside cabin or exterior cam.

very unusual that all i can say, hopefully tesla will be able to sought it out soon, am still waiting for a date of when they will have rear windscreen available, no given ETA :(

Improperly installed or defective glass have resulted in stress cracks but not a major shatter like yours. Only thing I can think of is if the glass was oversized, which when expanded may have stress all around, and I would only expect that perhaps with third party aftermarket glass. Did you own this car since factory? Do you know if the rear glass was ever replaced?

Anyways, if you have video evidence where it is clear it just randomly shattered, you may be able to submit for a warranty claim, although it sounds like you already replaced it, so may be too late.
The car was from new and only had it less then a week and this happen :(
So am still waiting from tesla for the replacement, they haven't given an ETA. at the moment i have a plastic sheet over the rear and it been raining heavily and the water been filling into the actual boot :(

The car was from new and only had it less then a week and this happen :(
So am still waiting from tesla for the replacement, they haven't given an ETA. at the moment i have a plastic sheet over the rear and it been raining heavily and the water been filling into the actual boot :(
If you had it only a week, and you have video evidence (especially the interior cam), then I think your chances of a warranty approval are higher.