Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still haven't updated to v. 9 because of the rear camera....

Question: Does the rear view camera come back after I start up the car again? Or do you have to open up the camera every time I start driving?

Thanks for your response.

Yo -- due to backlash, Tesla made some attempts to appease their user base by putting the camera back on top of the music app. Your last configuration remains when you get back into the car and drive. I find it a strangely unsatisfying change because the behavior of the UI in general is still very quirky and non-intuitive. Having camera on top is nice, but the whole pile of crap still lacks the customization of the old V8 UI, because maps are still persistent even after putting the camera on top, it leaves a small narrow band of "map with triangle" at top, looks very unprofessional, unpolished in my opinion.

Furthermore, since the MCU is constantly rendering the background map it becomes easily overwhelmed, and causes skips and hiccups in streaming music. I "hide the maps" using the doodle easter egg trick and that solves the skipping problem.

V9 has great features added to the AP and I like the blindspot monitoring, but the UI is a complete cluster F.

I agree. I've been driving with the new setup (camera on top of media on top of maps) for a few weeks now, and while it's passable, it's not nearly as elegant as the V8 UI. Anytime you change things on the UI now it doesn't stick so getting the camera back up now takes a few presses.

Reactions: f-stop
I agree. I've been driving with the new setup (camera on top of media on top of maps) for a few weeks now, and while it's passable, it's not nearly as elegant as the V8 UI. Anytime you change things on the UI now it doesn't stick so getting the camera back up now takes a few presses.
No offense but do you guys prefer windows 98 as well?

Why did Tesla even bother with V9? I’m one of those who’s very unhappy with the change and don’t even understand what the rationale was for doing it. It actually made using the touch screen more dangerous while driving, as V9 requires more interaction with the screen not less. I’m also one who prefers having the reverse camera image on the top. It’s a safety feature for me, and having it at the bottom means my eye is more frequently further off the road.

Was this an attempt fo make the screen more Model 3 like? If so it was a big mistake. I have both cars and the M3 screen requires much more interaction than the S screen. A move in this direction is definitely retrograde.

I’d love to go back to V8. Is there any way I can do it?

No offense but do you guys prefer windows 98 as well?
Think of it this way. The "under the hood" improvements in V9 are great for autopilot stuff, but the new UI in my opinion is a step back regarding usability. Not completely, but in general. Lots of things are much quicker to access now, but getting to the lesser used items takes far more time compared to before.

I guess I use enough of the lesser stuff so it's frustrating. Before in V8 everything took about the same number of presses to get to, regardless of how often the options were used. Now certain options are super quick, but others take much longer, so it feels frustrating to get to them, especially when driving. The new HVAC options are annoying now that cold weather has arrived. Switching on heated seats and cold weather package stuff takes focus off the road, but hey, I got maps all the time so I know exactly how long it will take me to get to the local store right down the road I've been to a million times.