Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasons I like my "classic" nose cone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I liked your post. But I don't understand how the nose cone matches the pano. Can you fill me in? I am the last guy ever to figure that kind of stuff out

The person I showed the comparison pictures to liked the nose cone having the same color as the pano roof I guess.

I would be curious to see a poll on this but using people who aren't familiar with Tesla.

I would do it but I live in SoCal.

I'm happy my MS has the classic look. I think I would like a new nose if it was completely grill-less like the Model 3. Putting the Model X nose on the MS seems 1) like a half-way measure with its narrow little non-functional grill slot, and 2) loses distinctiveness vs. the X.

Last edited:
yes. there are photos on other threads. combo of new nose restyling and cabin air filter results in much reduced frunk.
I posted this on another thread, but I think people are being tricked by an optical illusion on the new frunk. Compare the two pictures below. The weather stripping has been relocated right to the edge of the opening. If anything, I think the new frunk is slightly wider than the previous dual motor frunk. Look at how it goes to a point rather than being squared off.

upload_2016-4-26_12-2-20-png.174056

I like what I have in my 2015 Model S, but I do not dislike the new look. Seems to me there will be some marketing/recognition advantages to the similar front ends among Models S, X and 3 in the long run. And having gone through this on many other cars over the years, I predict folks will get used to the new look and will (mostly) begin to see the "classic" nose as out of date.

But as with other things, tastes will vary. Personally, I never could quite understand the folks who complained about how the original nose looked on the Model S. I recall reading that some people liked the rear end view but not the front, whereas with me it was always the opposite.

One other point: I like the way the new nose looks on the Model S better than I do on the Model X. A white Model X reminds me too much of an Imperial Trooper's face mask in Star Wars -- silly, I know! But the Model S does not seem to do that. (Or maybe I am just getting used to it...)

The new nose adds too much body color to the front. There's no contrast. It's like painting your house red and then painting the front door red as well. OTOH, a red house with a black door adds contrast and so does the nose cone on the classic S. I ordered my 2014 red S without the pano but I still got a black roof for that reason (Tesla doesn't offer that option anymore).

I posted this on another thread, but I think people are being tricked by an optical illusion on the new frunk. Compare the two pictures below. The weather stripping has been relocated right to the edge of the opening. If anything, I think the new frunk is slightly wider than the previous dual motor frunk. Look at how it goes to a point rather than being squared off.

upload_2016-4-26_12-2-20-png.174056
Someone needs to fill each one with ping pong balls to measure the actual volume

Reactions: chipmunk
I was able to compare the front ends at the event today in Paramus, NJ. The new front looks better in person than in the photos but of course, those cars are brand new. Let's see how they stand up to the everyday wear and tear. A bit of road tar and rock chips may look a lot worse on the new front ends than on the old cones. I may be convinced that the new look is better if they can last the test of time better than the cones.