Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Record time for Model X order to delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on 3/12, drove it a few days, and then had ankle surgery. Won't be able to drive it for 6 weeks. Still trying to figure out if having it and not being able to drive it is worse than waiting for it.

It took a real force of will for me to do my usual bicycle commute today instead of driving the X. So I totally get where you are coming from on the not driving/worse than waiting. I found myself looking for excuses to drive over the weekend :)

Reactions: ModelX
My order was similarly fast: ordered 2-27-16, order confirmed 3-5-16 and delivery confirmed for 3-29-16 (although I've decided to delay it until 3-30-16 instead).

6-seat P90DL with all options. VIN 25xx.

Still quite surprised it was this quick. I was expecting to wait a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: DarrinR
Everyone put down at least $5k so that doesn't differentiate you from anyone else who is buying an X. And they were always going to deliver cars with certain specs or geographical proximity at different times. I don't think anyone is GETTING SCREWED.

Depends on how you look at it. In a way, we are "screwed" because this means the whole reservation system is meaningless. It's like you lined up for a new product for 2 years, and now you are told that the order of the queue does not matter at all.

You still have to RESERVE to place an order. No one is able to order without reserving and no one could get a car 2 years ago. If you ordered your car from your reservation as soon as ordering was allowed you either have your car already or you're about to. Now, you might have a car with a few issues and if they're bad enough then you might be temporarily screwed but you'll get your car!

I think the disappointment is understandable. It is only fair for the folks who reserved a couple of years back to expect that they are not queued up behind the ones who reserved a few months or weeks back (like me). I understand the rationale from Tesla but also understand the feelings of the folks who queued up so long back. I think the reservation system can use a bit more transparency.

There are a lot of factors that are to be considered here- Geographical location, configuration, time taken in QC. Tesla cant stop delivering cars if a low reservation number car has a QC problem and is waiting for parts. Everyone is getting their cars as of now, getting it few days/weeks later than anyone with higher reservation number doesn't make anyone screwed and isn't morally questionable.

There are a lot of factors that are to be considered here- Geographical location, configuration, time taken in QC. Tesla cant stop delivering cars if a low reservation number car has a QC problem and is waiting for parts. Everyone is getting their cars as of now, getting it few days/weeks later than anyone with higher reservation number doesn't make anyone screwed and isn't morally questionable.

Except that I ordered 3 years ago, have a low reservation number, confirmed immediately (12/1), and my car hasn't even started to be built yet. But, in Tesla's defense, they made it clear that P90Ds would receive priority, and I ordered a 90D. If I had spent $20,000 more, I would have my car now. But, I'm actually glad that I have to wait another 4-6 weeks, so that all these early problems get ironed out before my car gets built.

Reactions: Tedkidd