Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X Matrix Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Matrix vs Non-Matrix Lights.

Attachments

• IMG_5849.jpg
    IMG_5849.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 332
Anyone have any ideas if Model X's will change over to the newer Matrix Headlights too?
I’m not sure it makes much difference. All the new matrix headlights buy you these days is the ability to write out the word “TESLA” on a wall. Granted their overall lighting seems improved, but given that Tesla can’t even make rain-sensing wipers work, I’m not holding my breath waiting for real matrix functionality like the Europeans have had for years.

To be fair, Audi’s had matrix headlights for years and haven’t done anything with them either.

Aurora, CO service center has at least one Model X LR (Ultra Red, Cream interior, 20 inch wheels, 5 seat) with Matrix headlights. I was busy with taking delivery of a Model Y (after agonizing over it versus a tax-credit configuration Model X) so I did not get the VIN. Definitely Matrix.

Attachments

• Model X LR Matrix.JPG
    Model X LR Matrix.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 170
Tesla apparently can't program the matrix to do the European thing where they stay high beams except where the on coming car is. Don't have it working on the 3/y either. Over a year on the 3, still useless. Why are they spending money on a higher end lights that has to cost more while cutting useful things like ultra sonic sensors, turn Stalks and center of the wheel horn button?

There was a report that the Highland Model 3 supposedly has the adaptive headlight functionality but I didn't find a confirmation of that yet. It will come eventually, I'm sure as it's a safety feature which Tesla usually prioritizes
Tesla has never prioritized headlights. They’ve always been anemic on the headlamp tech compared to the competition

Tesla apparently can't program the matrix to do the European thing where they stay high beams except where the on coming car is. Don't have it working on the 3/y either. Over a year on the 3, still useless. Why are they spending money on a higher end lights that has to cost more while cutting useful things like ultra sonic sensors, turn Stalks and center of the wheel horn button?

The Matrix are not useless at all. I bought a 22 YP with Matrix and the low beam is better than standard, and the high beam is magnitudes better. Its the best high beam I have ever used on a vehicle. Way back in the day I used to do retrofits on vehicles. I would take HID projectors from luxury cars, and put them in my crappy cars. I've had some great hid setups. I've owned 7 cars with led headlights now and the matrix are incredible. If they ever get the matrix functionality to truly work it will be incredible, but normal day to day theres still a massive difference. I've been wanting to upgrade to an X but these headlights are a big reason I held off.

The Matrix are not useless at all. I bought a 22 YP with Matrix and the low beam is better than standard, and the high beam is magnitudes better. Its the best high beam I have ever used on a vehicle. Way back in the day I used to do retrofits on vehicles. I would take HID projectors from luxury cars, and put them in my crappy cars. I've had some great hid setups. I've owned 7 cars with led headlights now and the matrix are incredible. If they ever get the matrix functionality to truly work it will be incredible, but normal day to day theres still a massive difference. I've been wanting to upgrade to an X but these headlights are a big reason I held off.
I agree; the matrix headlights in my 2023 Model S LR are the best I've seen, eclipsing the previous best (my 2018 Audi RS7.)

Actual matrix functionality would be wonderful. One would think the algorithms and techniques for this would be well understood by now, considering how long they've been available in Europe, but then one remembers this is the company that still can't get rain-sensing wipers to work...

Didn't you describe just really good regular headlights? The Matrix part is the European thing where they only dim where in coming traffic is to avoid glare in that poor persons vision. I have never driven one of those because they are in true luxery vehicles, where that option is enabled. Tesla doesn't do that so the MATRIX part is useless until they are capable of impleleting that.

Agree with the comment, Telsa can't get auto wipers to work right and my Chevy Volt AUTO headlights work SO much better than my MX, I'm not thinking Tesla can get the matrix part to work, so it is disabled except for the spelling Tesla in the light show gimmick.

I’m not sure it makes much difference. All the new matrix headlights buy you these days is the ability to write out the word “TESLA” on a wall. Granted their overall lighting seems improved, but given that Tesla can’t even make rain-sensing wipers work, I’m not holding my breath waiting for real matrix functionality like the Europeans have had for years.

To be fair, Audi’s had matrix headlights for years and haven’t done anything with them either.
Matrix headlights are far superior than reflective. My Model S headlights were brighter and had more coverage area that was dedicated light rather than dispersed. These were taken August 11th.

Too much government overreach and over regulations are also not allowing it to make it fully featured. Thank your underqualified politicians and a joke of DOT sec.

Attachments

• 20230811_124322.jpg
    20230811_124322.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230811_124331.jpg
    20230811_124331.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 129
Agreed - matrix headlights on the Model X provide superior illumination (especially with high beams). But it's no longer the government blocking their full adaptive capabilities ever since they were approved in the US back in 2022. It's the automakers (like Tesla) that are dragging their feet on the software implementation.