Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the wait will have been worth it as this article suggests that the refreshed Model S and X will have Autopilot HW4.

Reactions: Novatec and moa999
Looks like the wait will have been worth it as this article suggests that the refreshed Model S and X will have Autopilot HW4.
Im mostly excited about the upgraded brakes.

Other upside for those that wait for the new S will be competition from the likes of Merc's EQE may help to bring the price of the S down....

Other upside for those that wait for the new S will be competition from the likes of Merc's EQE may help to bring the price of the S down....
History shows this without even having competition and Tesla has plenty of margin to play with. Furthermore the price gap between the two classes of car is unsustainably large . The base MS is still $25k USD more than the pre-refresh.

Fair bit of downside for anyone that has purchaced FSD already as it clearly now has hardware limitations.
When I bought mine in 2015 autopilot would soon be able to drive across the country, stopping and charging itself along the way, to pick you up and drive you where you like. I’m surprised they haven’t been sued for making misleading claims several times over already. Surely ’soon’ is at least within the useful life of the car.

When I bought mine in 2015 autopilot would soon be able to drive across the country, stopping and charging itself along the way, to pick you up and drive you where you like. I’m surprised they haven’t been sued for making misleading claims several times over already. Surely ’soon’ is at least within the useful life of the car.
That was the claim for AP2 cars, which didn't come out till the end of 2016, not 2015 AP1 cars. There's a huge hardware difference.

That was the claim for AP2 cars, which didn't come out till the end of 2016, not 2015 AP1 cars. There's a huge hardware difference.
The claim was made for ap1 cars. I have a hard copy of the brochure somewhere. Since sold that car. I recall thinking at the time that it sounded a bit far fetched given the car had 2 cameras, parking sensors, and a front facing radar.

I'm going to have to disagree about that ever being part of the Ap1 claims. It was the selling point of AP2.
It's was 100% the claim of AP1. FSD was always for sale the moment Autopilot was installed in the vehicles. Personally I knew it didn't have legs, being involved in a similar field I knew litigation alone would stall this at least a decade before even mentioning hardware. My personal bet since day one would be 5 generations of hardware

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj and paulp
I'm going to have to disagree about that ever being part of the Ap1 claims. It was the selling point of AP2.
It was within a 16 page online brochure date 5 june 2015, which is well before AP2 was announced.
If you search ’tesla brochure 2015’ you will find a similar version of it, and uner the heading of autopilot it claims “automatically drive model s on the open road and in dense stop and go traffic”. In a slightly earlier version you get “autopilot combines a forward looking camera, radar, and 360 degree sonar sensors to automatically drive model S on the open road and in stop and go traffic”.
AP2 came out late 2016 as you have stated

I agree with @paulp , Tesla even had a carton animation showing the car arriving home, dropping me at the front door, driver would get out and the car would open the garage, park itself and close the garage…that was 100% on my first AP1 Model S.

Reactions: paulp
It's was 100% the claim of AP1. FSD was always for sale the moment Autopilot was installed in the vehicles. Personally I knew it didn't have legs, being involved in a similar field I knew litigation alone would stall this at least a decade before even mentioning hardware. My personal bet since day one would be 5 generations of hardware
FSD was absolutely not an option on AP1.

Reactions: paulp
If you search ’tesla brochure 2015’ you will find a similar version of it, and uner the heading of autopilot it claims “automatically drive model s on the open road and in dense stop and go traffic”.
How do you go from what is a description of autopilot - which was provided as stated in the brochure... to saying they promised full self driving with AP1.

Reactions: Burnt Toast