Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm a bit late to this news but it's hard to overstate my disappointment.
I normally replace cars every 4 years, and have been holding on to my S for almost 7 years now, waiting for the new S.
I don't see any alternative vehicle that matches the S.
Damn!
A test drive of a mercedes EQE is very worthwhile. The comfort and features make the last model s in Australia look a bit obsolete, and realistically the only inferior element compared to tesla is the efficiency as it is heavier, presumably due to the substantial additional features and tech. Note that only the EQE and larger EQS hatch (available in sedan and soon SUV variants) are ground up. All other EQ’s are currently butchered dinosaur cars But that is being worked on.

The EQE350 is certainly at a price point that seems quite competitive. I note that the estimated range is NEDC 590km, but even at a more realistic 450ish km the car will still go further at a time than me. Unfulfilled promises may become a significant issue for Tesla.

I don't see any alternative vehicle that matches the S.
This could be said for any car as every car is unique and has its own features.
But if you are seeking a purpose designed premium large EV then yes there are alternatives In Australia to the model S, and more were announced last week.It could be that the available alternatives do not have every spec identical to a model s or they do not meet your preferences for style, and equally the alternatives may have superior or additional specs to a model s and many people may consider them superior.

This could be said for any car as every car is unique and has its own features.
But if you are seeking a purpose designed premium large EV then yes there are alternatives In Australia to the model S, and more were announced last week.It could be that the available alternatives do not have every spec identical to a model s or they do not meet your preferences for style, and equally the alternatives may have superior or additional specs to a model s and many people may consider them superior.

What additional premium EVs got released? I still haven't pressed the start button on the EQE300 but I am very close to doing so...

What additional premium EVs got released? I still haven't pressed the start button on the EQE300 but I am very close to doing so...
I thought bmw i5 and i7 were from scratch EV. If they are not then they are not worthy however I thought I saw pics of a flat rear floor which usually suggests fresh start. These are not yet in Australia. BMW in Adelaide is shocking, so I really didnt do a big research effort as not going there again….ever.

Last edited:
I thought bmw i5 and i7 were from scratch EV. If they are not then they are not worthy however I thought I saw pics of a flat rear floor which usually suggests fresh start. These are not yet in Australia. BMW in Adelaide is shocking, so I really didnt do a big research effort as not going there again….ever.
Unfortunately an updated CLAR platform:
"i5 isn't on a new platform. It's on the CLAR platform, which was originally designed for ICE, but that platform was heavily updated..."

2023-06-01_19-20-17.png

It is a nice car, respectable 0-100 and range....seems it will be very well priced (under the EQE and a lot less than the S if Tesla had released it here)....may be tempted....I don't care about the hump as nobody sits in the back of my car (we have an family SUX Model X for that).

This is odd though, I would think the battery would get more than 8-10 years:

2023-06-01_19-28-21.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: paulp
Anyone driven the EQE300?
Ia looking at the MB EQS 53- it's enormous but LOADED with goodies!
Anybody tried?
I’ve driven the EQE 53 and the EQS 53. There was no EQE300 for me to try. The EQE53 is magnificent and is near identical to the EQS53 other than its not as enormous. Its more model S size. EQE is way superior for my requirements to my model S, so I ordered one. Will have it in a few weeks, and retained our other model S. My only annoyance with the EQE is that it is not a hatch, but the handling and features helped me overcome that.

Last edited:
Reactions: moa999
I’ve driven the EQE 53 and the EQS 53. There was no EQE300 for me to try. The EQE53 is magnificent and is near identical to the EQS53 other than its not as enormous. Its more model S size. EQE is way superior for my requirements to my model S, so I ordered one. Will have it in a few weeks, and retained our other model S. My only annoyance with the EQE is that it is not a hatch, but the handling and features helped me overcome that.
Awesome.
Thanks very much, paulp- I will drive one tomorrow
regards

Awesome.
regards

I couldn't get the EQE53 past the boss as she wants to get the EQS SUV....means I will most likely get the EQE300 and put up with 0-100 in 6'ish seconds...truth is I don't give a crap about straight line performance, more wish for a more luxury feel which an EQE300 ordered with 4 wheel steer and airmatic I feel I will get the luxury I am looking for.

What makes me feel the EQE300 would be enough speed for me was driving a Model Y standard rear wheel drive with similar 0-100 as the EQE300 and it really does not feel slow and for 95% of my driving the car would be quicker than what I am asking of it.

Reactions: moa999 and paulp
Awesome.
regards
Be sure to ask to see the augmented reality nav system and the parking camera where you view The car from a distance. My experience was that the sales guy was excellent and non-pressured but not great at showing everything, so I started looking online and after viewing a full user interface guide by Nick O’Leary I realised there was probably way too many features for any sales person to effectively communicate. I still havnt tested the headlights but the info and videos online suggests they will be incredible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EcoCloudIT
I couldn't get the EQE53 past the boss as she wants to get the EQS SUV....means I will most likely get the EQE300 and put up with 0-100 in 6'ish seconds...truth is I don't give a crap about straight line performance, more wish for a more luxury feel which an EQE300 ordered with 4 wheel steer and airmatic I feel I will get the luxury I am looking for.

What makes me feel the EQE300 would be enough speed for me was driving a Model Y standard rear wheel drive with similar 0-100 as the EQE300 and it really does not feel slow and for 95% of my driving the car would be quicker than what I am asking of it.
The reality for me is the tesla rampant acceleration was fun when I first got it. The speeding tickets and sore head from hitting the headrest to many times brought it to an end. I went eqe53 for other reasons. I have not tried it’s acceleration because I know I wont use it.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
The EQE350 is certainly at a price point that seems quite competitive. I note that the estimated range is NEDC 590km, but even at a more realistic 450ish km the car will still go further at a time than me. Unfulfilled promises may become a significant issue for Tesla.
I would say that the entire EQE range isn't competitive on price when you take into account real world range and performance. But I guess in Australia we're no extremely limited for good premium EVs. The Y and 3 have pretty crappy interiors, but I'd argue that as a car the Model Y performance is a better car and certainly a better value proposition than the EQE53, which has less room, similar performance, less range, but cost more than twice as much.

I would say that the entire EQE range isn't competitive on price when you take into account real world range and performance. But I guess in Australia we're no extremely limited for good premium EVs. The Y and 3 have pretty crappy interiors, but I'd argue that as a car the Model Y performance is a better car and certainly a better value proposition than the EQE53, which has less room, similar performance, less range, but cost more than twice as much.

EQE53, 0-100 is 3.3s (on track tests people have been getting sub-3.0s!)....the EQE53 has more width...try putting a baby seat in the back of a Y and 2x adults (forget it) no problem on the EQE53, boot is massive on both (not a hatch so there is that), the EQE53 has a real world driving range of 435km (for some strange reason Tesla is up to 12% wrong, when Merc says it gets 435km's it gets 435km's).....if you want more range get the EQE300 (just go slower to 100) and get a real world driving range of 508km.

Not sure one can compare cost as they are a completely different class of vehicle in every way apart from both being EVs (we don't compare a Toyota Corolla to a Porsche GT4 when it comes cost).

Anyhow, just my 2 cents…

Reactions: paulp
That's quite a testimonial for the EQE, I will go have a look at one.
I still would have preferred a new S, I will miss the convenience of superchargers and the touchscreen.