Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cry for me. My 6-month-old 2020 M3P with less than 4k miles was involved in a minor accident over the weekend. The bumper took the brunt of the damage but the hood is bent I think. It doesn't sit flush with the fenders anymore. The headlights are also slightly misaligned. Still in the process of getting the other driver's insurance to pay for everything, but I was wondering what everyone thinks the repair cost would be? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210327_152715.jpg
    IMG_20210327_152715.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20210328_115044.jpg
    IMG_20210328_115044.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20210328_115131.jpg
    IMG_20210328_115131.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20210328_115404.jpg
    IMG_20210328_115404.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20210328_115614.jpg
    IMG_20210328_115614.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20210328_115630.jpg
    IMG_20210328_115630.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Disagree
Reactions: XLR82XS and Phlier
Cry for me. My 6-month-old 2020 M3P with less than 4k miles was involved in a minor accident over the weekend. The bumper took the brunt of the damage but the hood is bent I think. It doesn't sit flush with the fenders anymore. The headlights are also slightly misaligned. Still in the process of getting the other driver's insurance to pay for everything, but I was wondering what everyone thinks the repair cost would be? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll guess $10k, including rental car costs, but not including diminishment of value. All depends on how much things are bent; I guess this reflects a "more bent" assumption for what has happened under the bumper cover.

That was a tough accident to avoid. Glad you got it on video; should help you out and ensure that you are not deemed at fault (without it you might be, without witnesses). Fortunately, you appear to be completely stationary at the moment of impact.

Upvote 0
What the crazy ... was the Lexus doing, reversing into you like that? What possessed them?
Yeah, I have no idea either. I asked them and they said they didn't even know what they were doing and just didn't see me lol. The only explanation I can come up with is that they were going to do a right turn but at the last second changed their mind and might have wanted to turn left. So into reverse, they go! Right into me :(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0
Shop will probably straighten the hood with their bare hands, replace the bumper cover, and if the hood needs paint they'll respray the fenders too so the color mismatch isn't so noticeable. Headlights are connected to the bumper so they should go back in properly with its replacement. Probably 2-3 weeks and $3-5K. Add $1K and 2 weeks if they replace the hood.

Upvote 0
Green means... Stop-Stop-Reverse?🤬

Looks intentional to me. Like they were trying to get you to rear-end them and then when that didn't work they backed into you for some insurance fraud. Maybe they realized too late it was a Tesla with cameras.
I do truly think it was a mistake. The driver apologized and even admitted fault in person and through a text from the phone number they gave me. However, I still haven't figured out why they decided to throw it in reverse 😅

Upvote 0
I had someone do that to me in the 90's when I had a new Impala SS.

In his case, it was just pure stupidity - not insurance fraud. He backed up because he went out into the intersection a little bit, then decided he couldn't make it with the cars coming, so he backed up into me without any thought of someone being behind him despite me leaning on the horn as soon as his reverse lights went on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had someone do that to me in the 90's when I had a new Impala SS.

In his case, it was just pure stupidity - not insurance fraud. He backed up because he went out into the intersection a little bit, then decided he couldn't make it with the cars coming, so he backed up into me without any thought of someone being behind him despite me leaning on the horn as soon as his reverse lights went on.
Same thing happened to my wife in '94 in her less than a year old Pontiac Grand Am. She was behind a lifted pickup. Lifted pickup started to go, changed his mind, backed up over my wife's car. His truck slid neatly over the top of her hood, nearly reaching the windshield.

Back on topic... I'm gonna guess 12k. Probably too high.

So sorry this happened to you, OP. Let us know how it works out?

Upvote 0

Thanks!

Please take the "Like" I gave your post in the spirit in which it was meant... I wish there was a "my condolences" rating.

Man, those pictures are hard to look at.

Reactions: michael_mke
Upvote 0
I'll guess bumper cover, crash bar, radar, ultrasonics, radiator mount and radiator, various plastic mounting pieces for hardware, louver assembly, hood, frunk assembly and latch, & trim under the car connected to the bumper cover, at a minimum. As others have mentioned, perhaps fenders and headlights will also need replacement; hard to tell from the picture. There are quite a few things behind that bumper cover that are important! If they have to replace the main frame rails (seems unlikely but who knows) for some reason it'll keep on adding up.

Really starts to add up, seems like $10k easy after adding rental expenses as I said above. I am reasonably sure in this case that the car is not totaled though!

Do let us know what it ends up being! The first estimate from the body shop I would double or triple, to get the final value of the damage.

Do look into diminishment of value laws in your state and be sure to be properly compensated for the impact on the resale value of your vehicle if it is possible. Fortunately this damage isn't likely to cause you any long term problems, which means that for the most part this cash is just a payment for the (substantial) hassle of having to get your car repaired (and of course it WILL substantially impact the resale value but the actual impact depends on how long you plan to keep the car). It seems like $3-4k would be fair in this case since it is relatively minor damage, but I know nothing about the actual market rates for value diminishment.

My understanding is DOV claims are usually done at the end of the repair process, but consult with your insurance company or agent to determine how that claim is done.

(This suggests probably 1-2k would be more in the ballpark but I think it's probably highly variable depending on how the claim is made. And obviously you have to know what the actual damage is first. Which is why it's done at the end of the repair process, not at the beginning.)

Last edited:
Reactions: michael_mke
Upvote 0
I'll guess bumper cover, crash bar, radar, ultrasonics, radiator mount and radiator, various plastic mounting pieces for hardware, louver assembly, hood, frunk assembly and latch, & trim under the car connected to the bumper cover, at a minimum. As others have mentioned, perhaps fenders and headlights will also need replacement; hard to tell from the picture. There are quite a few things behind that bumper cover that are important! If they have to replace the main frame rails (seems unlikely but who knows) for some reason it'll keep on adding up.

Really starts to add up, seems like $10k easy after adding rental expenses as I said above. I am reasonably sure in this case that the car is not totaled though!

Do let us know what it ends up being! The first estimate from the body shop I would double or triple, to get the final value of the damage.

Do look into diminishment of value laws in your state and be sure to be properly compensated for the impact on the resale value of your vehicle if it is possible. Fortunately this damage isn't likely to cause you any long term problems, which means that for the most part this cash is just a payment for the (substantial) hassle of having to get your car repaired (and of course it WILL substantially impact the resale value but the actual impact depends on how long you plan to keep the car). It seems like $3-4k would be fair in this case since it is relatively minor damage, but I know nothing about the actual market rates for value diminishment.

My understanding is DOV claims are usually done at the end of the repair process, but consult with your insurance company or agent to determine how that claim is done.

(This suggests probably 1-2k would be more in the ballpark but I think it's probably highly variable depending on how the claim is made. And obviously you have to know what the actual damage is first. Which is why it's done at the end of the repair process, not at the beginning.)
Thanks so much for all the info! I'll definitely take what you said here into consideration, especially the diminishing value. I'll let you know how everything pans out. Thanks again!

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0

Diminished value is different for every state. It depends on the value of the vehicle, the extent of the damage, the quality of the repairs, then you get into confusing states like NV where you can claim it, but insurance is not legally bound to pay it. Some states don't even have it. It's a confusing aspect of a claim.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have no idea either. I asked them and they said they didn't even know what they were doing and just didn't see me lol. The only explanation I can come up with is that they were going to do a right turn but at the last second changed their mind and might have wanted to turn left. So into reverse, they go! Right into me :(
Was the driver short? Cause the rear hatch is a bit high, so that a short driver might not see a Model 3 behind them.

Not that it helps, but I always try to leave a car length between me and potential stupidity in front of me at lights, just in case evasive action is required. With the Model 3's instant torque and easy shifting at speeds below 5mph, (no braking or coming to a stop required), it's something to think about whether or not you have time for evasive actions when other drivers do stupid things.

Upvote 0
I had something similar - I hit another car from behind (no, nothing tried to put on the brakes automatically - must have been cuz I was pressing the accelerator.) Waiting to merge, I was looking back I thought he'd gone merged but he only moved forward a few feet. No visible damage (to me or other vehicle), but a few minutes later said no autopilot or safety features available. The radar unit bracket had broken.

Turns out they had to repaint the bumper because of scratches from the front license holder.

Which means I had to get the front bumper VP film re-installed also - insurance paid for that. However, they asked for proof I'd done the annual VPF protection warranty inspection before they'd pay. Repair shop wanted to use their own guy but we didn't want the 3M film. Instead I got our original installer to do it.

After I drove off, supposedly a few kilometers and the radar would start registering. It didn't - had to go back and get the radar recalibration done. I don't think they remembered to do it. (And this a Tesla trained and accredited repair shop)

They also had to adjust to hood vs bumper, it was uneven gap on the one side. Apparently that was a matter of adjusting a few bolts.

Fun note to any repair shop - design flaw, apparently, tilting seat back forward and then raising a front seat as far as it goes, can force the seat into the sun visor cracking the mirror - and then possibly pop the glass roof off. Most likely this could happen in a body shop where the tech is operating this while looking down at the seat track, not up at the roof.

Upvote 0
Update #1: So the claims adjuster contacted me on Monday and I gave my side of the story along with pics and dashcam. Today, I found out that they are still trying to get in contact with the driver. However, they were able to get in contact with the policy holder, which turns out to be the driver's dad. Hopefully I get more details in the next couple days.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Phlier
Upvote 0