Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request from new MYP owner - Please Review the updated LED Matrix headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone confirmed the new headlights are actually 'matrix' design and might be capable of some of the meow advanced features other manufacturers are deploying with theirs? I think there is a lot of assumption that more advanced features will come (and I tend to agree) but curious if there has been confirmation of the mechanical features - i.e. what will they be capable of if software enables?
“Matrix” is just the branding that Audi/VW has used. The term “active” or “dynamic” is the same concept. The MYP’s that have them in the lower 48 do not use the “active” design. They are just on with auto highbeam - just like the full LED lights of current.
The “active” or “matrix” feature can (and will) be activated via a software update once legislators allow it. It’s an awesome feature but not worthy of waiting by any means - just enjoy the awesome full LED (old) lights!

FWIW, I went to the service menu and notched both Left and Right headlights down 4 stops. Each stop seems very incremental. This seems to have been enough to solve the problem blinding oncoming traffic, but especially blinding same-direction traffic in front of me. There is no question these new MYP "global" headlights are set quite high relative to the other 6 cars in our household. I'll watch it on some darker night driving coming up - I might be able to raise each side a notch.

FWIW, I went to the service menu and notched both Left and Right headlights down 4 stops. Each stop seems very incremental. This seems to have been enough to solve the problem blinding oncoming traffic, but especially blinding same-direction traffic in front of me. There is no question these new MYP "global" headlights are set quite high relative to the other 6 cars in our household. I'll watch it on some darker night driving coming up - I might be able to raise each side a notch.
You do know that once you make adjusts on the service menu for the lights that you cannot “reset” them back to stock without a service call right? That feature is not entirely meant for us, it’s there for other reasons.. the lights will never go back to the set point after they have been adjusted. It’s not meant to act as an adjustment like we do our mirrors and steering wheel.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
“Matrix” is just the branding that Audi/VW has used. The term “active” or “dynamic” is the same concept. The MYP’s that have them in the lower 48 do not use the “active” design. They are just on with auto highbeam - just like the full LED lights of current.
The “active” or “matrix” feature can (and will) be activated via a software update once legislators allow it. It’s an awesome feature but not worthy of waiting by any means - just enjoy the awesome full LED (old) lights!
Thanks for the response. Regarding the actual matrix function (anticipated), is there any evidence that these new lights have that capability (thought not currently active) - or are we assuming? Has anyone disassembled them, do they have motors/actuators etc etc? As I said before, it makes perfect sense that they do, but haven't seen anyone confirm.
Some of the non US function of actual active lights (BMW, Audi at least) is impressive if ever gets approved this side of the pond.

You do know that once you make adjusts on the service menu for the lights that you cannot “reset” them back to stock without a service call right? That feature is not entirely meant for us, it’s there for other reasons.. the lights will never go back to the set point after they have been adjusted. It’s not meant to act as an adjustment like we do our mirrors and steering wheel.
Not sure what you mean here. I moved both Left and Right down 4 stops. They also move back up 4 stops just as easily. That is in fact the set point.

Not sure what you mean here. I moved both Left and Right down 4 stops. They also move back up 4 stops just as easily. That is in fact the set point.
Yes, but the left and right adjustment can not be fixed. Now that you have moved them up and down you may very well have misaligned their left and right point. The L/R point needs a service call. Check when you drive at night. Or pull up your car to a white wall, you’ll notice that they aren’t centered left and right anymore - they may be “cross eyed” now.

This is verbatim what the service advisor told me yesterday. You may not agree, but it makes sense. The only reason why they included it was for towing according to him.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bryzice
Thanks for the response. Regarding the actual matrix function (anticipated), is there any evidence that these new lights have that capability (thought not currently active) - or are we assuming? Has anyone disassembled them, do they have motors/actuators etc etc? As I said before, it makes perfect sense that they do, but haven't seen anyone confirm.
Some of the non US function of actual active lights (BMW, Audi at least) is impressive if ever gets approved this side of the pond.
My 2016 Audi S3 had “active headlights” it was cool because when you turned the steering wheel lock to lock the appropriate corner would get extra light from the additional side LEDs. This could be overridden by a button to have the side lights on all the time. It provided an almost as good sweep that we get on our Tesla’s - however, in the Audi, once you went over 62 mph the side lights would turn off (as per US DOT) so it was useless on the highway. Cool for the parking lot/boulevard though.

Yes, but the left and right adjustment can not be fixed. Now that you have moved them up and down you may very well have misaligned their left and right point. The L/R point needs a service call. Check when you drive at night. Or pull up your car to a white wall, you’ll notice that they aren’t centered left and right anymore - they may be “cross eyed” now.

This is verbatim what the service advisor told me yesterday. You may not agree, but it makes sense. The only reason why they included it was for towing according to him.
That’s ridiculous. When I made this up down adjustment I did it shining the lights on the wall. The headlights only moved up and down. There was no left to right movement.

EDIT: I'm also calling BS on this. I think anyone who has actually adjusted these headlights knows that when you put it in adjustment mode the pattern refines to a very distinct pattern on the wall. You can very easily see the directional movement of the lens. Please let me know the service advisor you talked to, or if you don't know or don't remember, at least the service center you were talking with, and I'd be happy to call and get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:
FYI, I tried to upgrade to the "Global" headlights (internally that's what they are referred to in the part numbers) on my 2018 P3D when the car was in for service for repainting (bad rock chips . . . long story).

The body shop got the lights, installed them, and they would not work. Took the car to the local Tesla service center, and they said the lights are "not compatible" with older cars. No one could tell me if a software upgrade would fix this in the future or not.

Just a heads up for those wanting to retrofit the new MicroLED (Global) headlights into their existing cars. First go at it . . . failed.
My 2021 December built Model 3 arrived with old head lights. I asked my local service center about retrofit on new head lights and was told no because its not compatible, but possible in the future. I'm tempted to buy them so I can just have them ready to go when that day comes lol.

I really wish one person would answer the question posed in the opening thread. Does anyone with a MYP with new headlights have a comparison to an older Model 3? Or someone with a new M3 to compare to an old M3 or MY. And those videos are from Europe which is why he is asking for a US comparison.

Is someone who currently owns a MY or older M3 willing to schedule a test drive on a new M3 and compared the headlights side by side?

Glad I waited to pull the trigger on an order. Would want to wait till these new headlights are available on the LR.
How long are you prepared to wait? There is no indication the new lights are coming to SR/LR Ys at all and there is no indication they even perform better than the current lights. Pointless to wait if you like the rest of the car.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had a 2020 MYP(bought as a demo/old headlights) for a couple of weeks before Tesla service center wrecked it. I insisted on them buying it back which took them 8 weeks to complete. My new 2021 (2/2021 build) MYP has the new headlights and I do not see much difference. I also drive a 2019 BMW M5 with LED headlights that have some matrix functions. I've also had a BMW M4 with the LED lights coded to gain the Euro anti dazzle function. These new headlights on the MYP do not have any of those functions(currently active).

I had a 2020 MYP(bought as a demo/old headlights) for a couple of weeks before Tesla service center wrecked it. I insisted on them buying it back which took them 8 weeks to complete. My new 2021 (2/2021 build) MYP has the new headlights and I do not see much difference. I also drive a 2019 BMW M5 with LED headlights that have some matrix functions. I've also had a BMW M4 with the LED lights coded to gain the Euro anti dazzle function. These new headlights on the MYP do not have any of those functions(currently active).
Thanks for the comparison! Seems like no reason to wait for not much difference.

I really wish one person would answer the question posed in the opening thread. Does anyone with a MYP with new headlights have a comparison to an older Model 3? Or someone with a new M3 to compare to an old M3 or MY. And those videos are from Europe which is why he is asking for a US comparison.

Is someone who currently owns a MY or older M3 willing to schedule a test drive on a new M3 and compared the headlights side by side?
I’m planning to do an overnight test drive on a YP next week to see if that’s the one I want vs the Y LR. I’ll do a comparison vs my model 3 so we can all decide if we should wait on a LR purchase. Hopefully the YP comes w the new headlights.