Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Restricted UK Supercharger sites - parking restrictions / registering / pay to park etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove back from Scotland to the East Midlands yesterday and had the misfortune of charging at Washington. What a miserable site.

Remembered to register with the obligatory thieving parking company, but awful signposting off the A1, poor V2 specs - max 130kW but rammed busy so realistically 60kW max. Spent the absolute minimum amount of time there before hopping to Ferrybridge for a quick splash and dash to get me home.

Drove back from Scotland to the East Midlands yesterday and had the misfortune of charging at Washington. What a miserable site.

Remembered to register with the obligatory thieving parking company, but awful signposting off the A1, poor V2 specs - max 130kW but rammed busy so realistically 60kW max. Spent the absolute minimum amount of time there before hopping to Ferrybridge for a quick splash and dash to get me home.
Had the misfortune of using Washington recently also. It really is dire. Just me and a local taxi there when I used it but it is a bleak place. The signage is poor as you said and I guessed lucky with the turn into it. Ferrybridge is 10x better.

Reactions: browellm
I charged at Sevenoaks today and the hotel car park has new cameras installed and signs stating registration needed for hotel guests and restaurant customers otherwise parking charges apply. Advised in the hotel that the cameras are not working yet but not clear whether registering in the hotel will be possible to avoid the charge once functioning.

I charged at Sevenoaks today and the hotel car park has new cameras installed and signs stating registration needed for hotel guests and restaurant customers otherwise parking charges apply. Advised in the hotel that the cameras are not working yet but not clear whether registering in the hotel will be possible to avoid the charge once functioning.
Someone on the owners group received a parking fine from the ANPR company (not sure who is managing it) so make sure you're registering at Sevenoaks now as it appears to be live.

Had the misfortune of using Washington recently also. It really is dire. Just me and a local taxi there when I used it but it is a bleak place. The signage is poor as you said and I guessed lucky with the turn into it. Ferrybridge is 10x better.
We are so lucky in Portugal and Spain. The majority of superchargers are at golf courses, boutique hotels and vineyards. A complete pleasure while you sip your coffee and visit the bathroom.

Someone on the owners group received a parking fine from the ANPR company (not sure who is managing it) so make sure you're registering at Sevenoaks now as it appears to be live.
I was there (first time) on Thursday afternoon. Another S man kindly informed me of the need to input at the hotel reception. This I did. 'Restaurant ' rather than 'Overnight' option.

On returning to my car, another driver was charging. I told him the story. He said he was a regular and never had a ticket!

I think I prefer the register!

I was in the vicinity the other day, wanting a charge, and Heathrow popped up as a nearby SC. I remembered reading on here about "issues" at Heathrow but couldn't remember the details, so I pulled up the card, and it said something on the lines of, free parking 30 minutes, no access to hotel which is being used as a quarantine hotel.

OK, I guess that most people should realise that the quarantine hotel bit is out of date, but how on earth should anyone be expected to know that they are supposed to go in to a hotel that Tesla explicitly tells them they have no access to?

Anyway, 30 minutes sounded a bit short so in the end I went to Park Royal (which I know well and which was on my way anyway) so I've still never been to Heathrow. Managed to get a V3 stall at Park Royal so all was good.
It's a bit of a weird one, is Heathrow Hilton/terminal 5... The good lady doctor went there a few months back, had a drink in the bar, got the parking ticket validated for free (no mention of time limit) - and then the barrier lifted automatically anyway. I've just been there: bar seemed shut, polite lady at the desk suggested I might want to stay in the car and drive over once done to get ticket validated (and mentioned that there's only 30 minutes free parking) - and then the barrier lifted automatically anyway..

It's a bit of a weird one, is Heathrow Hilton/terminal 5... The good lady doctor went there a few months back, had a drink in the bar, got the parking ticket validated for free (no mention of time limit) - and then the barrier lifted automatically anyway. I've just been there: bar seemed shut, polite lady at the desk suggested I might want to stay in the car and drive over once done to get ticket validated (and mentioned that there's only 30 minutes free parking) - and then the barrier lifted automatically anyway..
I was told not to validate my ticket until I'd nearly finished charging. You then get 15 minutes to leave. I'm sure you get more than 30 mins in total too

• Informative
Reactions: DigbyChicken
I was told not to validate my ticket until I'd nearly finished charging. You then get 15 minutes to leave. I'm sure you get more than 30 mins in total too
well, it takes 5+ minutes to walk to reception (well, let's say 2 mninutes) and then a minute or so to validate. you get 30 mins then.

but in 30 mins you will charge from 5% to 80% without any problems, unless sharing

in 30 mins you will charge from 5% to 80% without any problems, unless sharing

Presumably (i.e. at Hilton/terminal 5) worth charging at the V3 side, rather than the V2?

When I was last there I did that, but there were more cars parked at the V2 side than V3 - presumably they didn't know?

Can't be that many sites, yet, that have a mixture?

Is this a reasonable rule-of-thumb?

If Stall has only 1 cable with CSS plug then V3 - parking in all stalls is fine.

If Stalls have two cables they are V2.
If there are, also, some V2 stalls use those in preference.
If charging at a V2 stall make sure not to "pair"-park sharing a "number" (e.g. 2A and 2B - A and B are usually adjacent, but not always), unless no free pair, in which case park next to the car that has the highest SoC (if you can figure that out!), if someone leaves and creates a "free pair", then move there (unless already charging fast / nearly finished)

Not sure if Redbridge Park and Ride Oxford should be included on this list. Signage says registration is required but those who haven't done that appear not to have received penalty charges so far (it's supposed to be a free hour anyway). Multiple methods of registering including Hozah, RingGo and at machines beside the bus stop.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but eurocentral now requires payment or registration at the dakota Hotel reception. Its an ipad on the desk. My first time using them yesterday and a gent in a mx let me know. Not great signage

I take it they just let you register at reception even if you are not a guest?

I actually stopped at Eurocentral on Monday but decided to pay for parking - fyi, £2.70 (for up to 4 hours including a 'processing fee'!). I would disagree on the signage though - was pretty thorough and it felt like there were signs every 4 spaces, including some signs above the superchargers.

I take it they just let you register at reception even if you are not a guest?

I actually stopped at Eurocentral on Monday but decided to pay for parking - fyi, £2.70 (for up to 4 hours including a 'processing fee'!). I would disagree on the signage though - was pretty thorough and it felt like there were signs every 4 spaces, including some signs above the superchargers.
Seemed thay way, i asked to register my car, they directed me to the ipad. I did then go grab some food. Was only the high up signage when I was there. I didn't see anything at the spaces themselves.