Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Restricted UK Supercharger sites - parking restrictions / registering / pay to park etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confused! So I get the bit about having to register at certain sites but do you also need to pay for parking as well?
I think the details are pretty clear about where you have to pay for parking. For example:
Regular parking rates apply30 minutes free can be claimed at the Tesla store (only during opening hours) by entering your registration on the tablet.

Superchargers on the left wall are restricted to 30 minutes charging only.

Which SuC are you confused by?
There's sometimes a link to the original discussion in the last column too.

I need to leave my Tesla in the Heathrow long stay for 5 weeks in November.
Can I charge at the Heathrow Hilton SC for longer than 30 mins beforehand? (after a long drive SOC will be very low & I want to leave it at 90%).

This thread implies a max 30 minute parking stay.

Can I charge at the Heathrow Hilton SC for longer than 30 mins beforehand? (after a long drive SOC will be very low & I want to leave it at 90%).

I think you can always pay a fiver or less, whatever amount is.

You still need to validate ticket at the hotel

I think you can always pay a fiver or less, whatever amount is.

You still need to validate ticket at the hotel
I've charged for longer than 30 minutes in the past and just made a grovelling apology at reception - don't forget that you get ten minutes from the time of them validating the ticket. Used to be the case that buying a coffee got you an hour, but the coffee-shop closed during Covid and the only choice now is the bar upstairs which is astronomically expensive.

Just buy some coffee at the restaurant (need to tell them that you are there to charge your Tesla) and collect the receipt. Pls mention this at the reception when you validate your ticket and they will waive any additional charge beyond 30 mins. I have done this many times.

The way it is set up is that the entire site of the hotel is actually an NCP car park. The normal way the car park works is you get a ticket at the barrier when you enter, then pay on foot at the payment machine before leaving, and then insert the ticket at the exit barrier (although if the ANPR is working it won't actually require you to insert the ticket IIRC). The barrier will also let you out for free if you're there for less than 15 minutes, I think, to allow for hotel pickups and dropoffs.

When using the superchargers, if you validate your ticket at reception they just extend the free parking allowance (to 30 minutes? by 30 minutes? not sure). Plus, as others have mentioned, you can apparently get an extension by buying a coffee (I've not tried this).

But you can always just pay the normal NCP parking charges at the machine before exiting, so there's no practical limit as to how long you can charge for. You can find the tariff on the NCP web site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wattsisname
Just buy some coffee at the restaurant (need to tell them that you are there to charge your Tesla) and collect the receipt. Pls mention this at the reception when you validate your ticket and they will waive any additional charge beyond 30 mins. I have done this many times.
On the first day that I drove Lizzie, we went to a Supercharger at a Hotel near Heathrow, (possibly West Drayton). Not only did they validate the parking ticket, but, as Tesla Charging customers, they discounted our coffee and snack.

I imagined that this must be the standard treatment around the country. I was soon disabused.

Now then...SWMBO said " I had not realised that you still believe in Santa Claus".

Well I don't!

I only believe in fairies.

Last edited:
IOB. I love your 19" Sport wheels. I wish they were available for the model Y. Weird I know, but I really can't abide black wheels.
Thanks, I also love the original 19"alloys and IMO they look fantastic with white/chrome trim (but not darker colours or black trim)

However I've already ordered a Red Model YLR with 20" Inductions (back in April) & requested Q3 22 or Q1 23 delivery. I'm OK with black alloys this time as silver wheels look wrong on an otherwise red/black car.

Thanks, I also love the original 19"alloys and IMO they look fantastic with white/chrome trim (but not darker colours or black trim)

However I've already ordered a Red Model YLR with 20" Inductions (back in April) & requested Q3 22 or Q1 23 delivery. I'm OK with black alloys this time as silver wheels look wrong on an otherwise red/black car.
Of course it's all about personal opinion and a very good thing that we are not confined to the old Iron Curtain (no) choice or Henry F with his black only "Tin Lizzie, Model T".

So, as per my avatar, I have Red (White) and naked Geminis which for work really well for me. By the time the eye has absorbed the black tyres and black wheel arch trim, I don't even notice the black trim.

You are an old Tesla Hand, but I hope that your first joy in your M3 will be repeated in full measure with your Y.

Newly opened Supercharger site at Celtic Manor, Newport (just off M4) has 12 x 250kW units + 18 Tesla destination chargers.
Free parking for up to 3 hours, so ample for supercharging.
Nav info indicates loos and food, but these are at main hotel which is a good 5+ min walk thru the grounds.
Doesn't seem to need you to run your carpark ticket thru the pay station before exiting either...

Hilton T5 are now very hot on the maximum 30 minutes. I went over by three minutes because of the queue at reception and they refused to validate it, instead suggesting that I went and bought a coffee upstairs and came back with the receipt. Fortunately common sense prevailed when I appealed to his manager.

It’s a mad attitude to take when Tesla owners have both the disposable income to book somewhere like the Hilton for personal use when travelling, and get to see how convenient it is for T5 at the same time. My recommendation is to use the new ones on the Bath Rd and let the Hilton stew in its own self-importance.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Hilton T5 are now very hot on the maximum 30 minutes. I went over by three minutes because of the queue at reception and they refused to validate it, instead suggesting that I went and bought a coffee upstairs and came back with the receipt. Fortunately common sense prevailed when I appealed to his manager.

It’s a mad attitude to take when Tesla owners have both the disposable income to book somewhere like the Hilton for personal use when travelling, and get to see how convenient it is for T5 at the same time. My recommendation is to use the new ones on the Bath Rd and let the Hilton stew in its own self-importance.
Ah! The Hilton T5. We had our first supercharge there on 7th July. We found the girls on reception a bundle of fun. As we anyway wanted a coffee, we were surprised to received a discount (on the coffee) as a Tesla Supercharging customer.

Perhaps overtime people have taken the Mickey and so the regime has stiffened up. It's not quite Park Lane, but as you rightly say, a bad experience over a minor issue could turn you off the franchise for future overnight stays.

Has anyone here been charged Idle Fees?

Further to my post above (#114) re: Celtic Manor SuC -
The Nav only gets you to the entrance, you then have to follow the road up and left from the mini roundabout onsite, taking the next left turn up a v steep slope (would not want to do this in icy conditions) to the chargers - basically heading toward the pin which is in the right location.
The chargers are not signposted or visible from the entrance, and are in the "open air car park" (which is signposted).

i never had a problem registering some 20-25th minute then casually go back to the car.

that said, ive never gone over 40 mins unless i am eating/hving coffee upstairs.

re idle charge- my charging somehow stopped mid-charge the day after it snowed in london. eventually i disputed it w the service hotline and i believe it was then waived.

i never had a problem registering some 20-25th minute then casually go back to the car.

that said, ive never gone over 40 mins unless i am eating/hving coffee upstairs.

re idle charge- my charging somehow stopped mid-charge the day after it snowed in london. eventually i disputed it w the service hotline and i believe it was then waived.
When I was there no one was queuing at reception behind the people checking in. Everyone was going to the end of the checkin desk and holding up their ticket and the staff would break off and stamp the ticket. They were the ones telling people to do that rather than wait in the queue.