Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retro-fitting HEPA filter in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Easiest retrofit ever
Easier than replacing my cabin air filters lol

I have a march 2021 build so I had the guide holes and the threads. Because of this it was SUPER easy. NO need for rivets or anything.
I even just used bolts and washers that I had at home lying around and it fit perfectly.

Removing it was simple too. I'll do a video on it. But long story short, I was testing out the bolts and ended up dropping one of them into the abyss so I had to remove the frunk piece anyways and realized I was halfway done and ended up just doing the retrofit then and there.

I too also was careful but ended up breaking one of the tabs that kind of hold the apron in place that attaches to the side of the car haha. doesn't seem to matter though.

Air flow DEF reduced with outside air but I also have the "hepa" cabin air filters that I need to replace with normal pleated ones to increase the air flow.

Now all I need is the bio defense button. I may end up bringing some pizza to the workers there and ask them for a favor.. we shall see
I am so curious when tesla mobile arrive to see if they do it or not. I was abble tu push my appointement to september first. Clairly saying software upgrade for hepa filter BWM

It remaps the fan speed curve so it actually pushes more air out at a lower speed
This is absolutely true. It’s not the BDM we care about really, it’s the fact that when the button is visible, it means the MY knows the car has a HEPA filter and adjusts its airflow / fan programming and speeds. Without the car knowing HEPA Is installed (in other words, BDM being visible) then outside airflow is significantly reduced at all fan speeds. Auto mode was unusable for me without the BDM feature being enabled (car knowing HEPA is installed). Once the car knew it had HEPA it was like night and day difference running on auto and really made a huge difference.

Reactions: jd007
It remaps the fan speed curve so it actually pushes more air out at a lower speed
Everyone just needs to get used to bumping the temp down. Lets say you normally used 70 to 68 and fan speed 5 to like 8 and nothing changes.

Auto seems to function the same luckily atleast from what i noticed
This is absolutely true. It’s not the BDM we care about really, it’s the fact that when the button is visible, it means the MY knows the car has a HEPA filter and adjusts its airflow / fan programming and speeds. Without the car knowing HEPA Is installed (in other words, BDM being visible) then outside airflow is significantly reduced at all fan speeds. Auto mode was unusable for me without the BDM feature being enabled (car knowing HEPA is installed). Once the car knew it had HEPA it was like night and day difference running on auto and really made a huge difference.
yeah but have you tried just lowering the temp instead?

Easiest retrofit ever
Easier than replacing my cabin air filters lol

I have a march 2021 build so I had the guide holes and the threads. Because of this it was SUPER easy. NO need for rivets or anything.
I even just used bolts and washers that I had at home lying around and it fit perfectly.

Removing it was simple too. I'll do a video on it. But long story short, I was testing out the bolts and ended up dropping one of them into the abyss so I had to remove the frunk piece anyways and realized I was halfway done and ended up just doing the retrofit then and there.

I too also was careful but ended up breaking one of the tabs that kind of hold the apron in place that attaches to the side of the car haha. doesn't seem to matter though.

Air flow DEF reduced with outside air but I also have the "hepa" cabin air filters that I need to replace with normal pleated ones to increase the air flow.

Now all I need is the bio defense button. I may end up bringing some pizza to the workers there and ask them for a favor.. we shall see
My model Y is a June 2020 build. The place I went to install Hepa filter instead of making holes they used 3M tape. They told me it will stick there because of the cover. In worse case after a few years you put tape again. this avoid making holes in the frame

Reactions: tomagucci
My model Y is a June 2020 build. The place I went to install Hepa filter instead of making holes they used 3M tape. They told me it will stick there because of the cover. In worse case after a few years you put tape again. this avoid making holes in the frame
"They"? Id Tesla service do it? I guess an Aug 2020 probably doesn't have holes either.

Finally had a chance to take my MY out for some long drives over the weekend. Hard to definitively say how much better the HEPA retrofit works but so far so good. The weather wasn’t too harsh (high-upper 80s) but I really couldn’t tell any difference wrt air flow, etc. Basically mirroring what was previously stated:

That’s not to say there is no difference, but it remains to be seen how big of a deal it will be for me. Seems like on auto the vehicle just pushes the blower up until it reaches desired temp, etc. Not sure how BWM would change that. I could be wrong. I also use auto settings and preconditioning as frequently as possible.

If you’re planning to do a video anyway (where you reinstall your old set up) it would be interesting to see if you could measure the fan speed for a before and after HEPA install. Also maybe even test to see if it takes longer to get to a certain desired temperature in auto became of the reduced air movement before and after. I’m not sure what the results would be but it would be intriguing to find out.

Everyone just needs to get used to bumping the temp down. Lets say you normally used 70 to 68 and fan speed 5 to like 8 and nothing changes.

yeah but have you tried just lowering the temp instead?
Good idea. I only had hepa installed for 1 or 2 days before BWM was enabled. Would have for sure tried your suggestion though!

How much though them for button?
They installed all except the software. They told me they were able to do it a few months ago but they have been block. I presently ask for mobile service to have the software update from Tesla service mobile in the Tesla app and they have push back my appointment a few days back. They told me in the app they will ask for authorization ( headquarter (I supposed)) if they can install the software ''BWM''. I will keep an update on that

Reactions: akballow
HI every one please keep this not to loud. I have the confirmation from tesla app they will come and upgrade software to enable the ''BDM'' after asking them directly, they advance the appointment actually and said they will come tomorrow. First they delay because they were waiting for confirmation (I think from head office) because the upgrade is not official and is not for sale on website. I told them I have made the installation and want the car updated so the car can know the hepa is there and have proper ventilation setting.

When doing the manual retro fits, is the air always passing through the HEPA? I thought with bioweapon defense the system only used the HEPA when that mode was activated... otherwise wouldn't these HEPA filters need replaced like every six months, maybe less?

HI every one please keep this not to loud. I have the confirmation from tesla app they will come and upgrade software to enable the ''BDM'' after asking them directly, they advance the appointment actually and said they will come tomorrow. First they delay because they were waiting for confirmation (I think from head office) because the upgrade is not official and is not for sale on website. I told them I have made the installation and want the car updated so the car can know the hepa is there and have proper ventilation setting.
Once complete can you share a screenshot of the communication to use as a talking point

Reactions: Grandpa Gebis
Finally had a chance to take my MY out for some long drives over the weekend. Hard to definitively say how much better the HEPA retrofit works but so far so good. The weather wasn’t too harsh (high-upper 80s) but I really couldn’t tell any difference wrt air flow, etc. Basically mirroring what was previously stated:

That’s not to say there is no difference, but it remains to be seen how big of a deal it will be for me. Seems like on auto the vehicle just pushes the blower up until it reaches desired temp, etc. Not sure how BWM would change that. I could be wrong. I also use auto settings and preconditioning as frequently as possible.

If you’re planning to do a video anyway (where you reinstall your old set up) it would be interesting to see if you could measure the fan speed for a before and after HEPA install. Also maybe even test to see if it takes longer to get to a certain desired temperature in auto became of the reduced air movement before and after. I’m not sure what the results would be but it would be intriguing to find out.
good idea i dont have an electonic tachometer though and a temp sensor haha. what a cool test that would be though ill add it to the video

I noticed that the hvac system works like how a human would do it
When its warmer inside than outside, the fan on auto will blow with outside air to try and decrease the cabin temp to the desired temp
then after a certain point, it switches to recirculate mode

Today temp inside was around 80+ and interior temp at 65 with fan speed on 9 with recirculate air OFF and it was pretty weak. I cranked it down to like 62 and after 3-4 mins, the recirculate air auto turned on and blasted the AC

Makes sense since the outside air is usually cooler than the interior of the cabin when first entering and after a certain point, the interior becomes cooler so it switched to recirculate mode

the difference with outside air coming in is night and day with the hepa filter and because the system doesn't realize there's a hepa filter I believe it has a default pattern based on exterior and interior temp where it keeps the recirculate air OFF for a period of time then enables recirculate air to help cool the cabin faster

interesting
so just to be clear don't post this on youtube so people don't know about it since it's technically not allowed correct?

But what you did was create a service ticket asking for the BDM button since you installed the hepa filter and they said they will do it for you?

Are there certain things you said?

I brought pizza to my service center haha. they said they're too busy to even think about it so come back on a friday or a weekend and they will see what they can do but not to get my hopes up.

When doing the manual retro fits, is the air always passing through the HEPA? I thought with bioweapon defense the system only used the HEPA when that mode was activated... otherwise wouldn't these HEPA filters need replaced like every six months, maybe less?
I think because it's so big it doesn't need to be replaced often. Our cabin is 2 years and hepa is 3.

It seems so counter intuitive that bad harmful air outside is being filter to provide clean fresh air inside. I've been trained that if anything smells outside to turn on recirculating air so that it doesn't allow the air to come inside.

But it makes sense. If there's a huge fire with smoke everywhere and you bring the smoke inside the car. If the air is recirculating you're just recirculating that dirty air. You need a way to bring fresh air into the cabin and that's where the HEPA filter comes in.

I did the febreeze test and the hepa filter works 100%. The plus side is that on recirculating air any air that seeps into the cabin is still filtered so no smells

video coming soon