Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am part of the lucky one that got my SR+ 2021 with the GEN4 stripped ECU... so it's saying CCS not installed. I am trying to get the *real* Gen4 and swap my ECU. I live about 10 minutes from a Tesla Service center. I try this morning to access the service mode at my house but it didn't work. I drove to Tesla and it worked in the parking lot. So I will most likely swap it here drive to Tesla to get the update re-installed.
Nope, don't! If you install it, you won't be able to drive.

1) get into service mode, disable speed limits, drive home
2) swap the ECU in service mode at home (pull the plug before you start). Then plug back in (finish instructions) after swap.
3) you won't be able to drive, and the car will be running on 12v battery. immediately "reinstall software" from service mode; exit service mode

Then you can drive 😃

Nope, don't! If you install it, you won't be able to drive.

1) get into service mode, disable speed limits, drive home
2) swap the ECU in service mode at home (pull the plug before you start). Then plug back in (finish instructions) after swap.
3) you won't be able to drive, and the car will be running on 12v battery. immediately "reinstall software" from service mode; exit service mode

Then you can drive 😃
Thanks for the heads up!!

Reactions: FalconFour
Another easy way to do this without involving service mode (preferred way, imho) is to wait for the next "Tesla Recall", and let it download/be ready to install... then treat that orange alarm clock icon like your "service mode". Installing the update will (normally) have the same reflashing effect as doing it from service mode. But given Tesla's erratic update pattern (e.g. no updates for FSD Beta in ... over a month and change now, or so?), it can be a long wait. Service mode is the cheat method.

OK. Next chain of thought. Check this out. This is what APPEARS to be the charge port for Gen4. This is wildly different! 🤯

1644628480851.png

It's entirely separate, no integrated harness. Great for improved serviceability. Looks like it has the 24-pin harness that plugs *into* it (an odd choice... the 24pin plugs into the ECU, right next to it, so why did it need to be detachable here?).

Therein lies the problem, though: none of the parts I can find, have the 24-pin harness connected. They're all missing it. And Tesla's EPC is entirely missing that entire part of the question. It's really disjointed, there.
1644628683364.png

(mind the "activate Windows". I just got a Framework laptop and haven't quite got around to buying a Windows license for it yet. haha)

Not sure what this highlighted item is - it's just labeled * - with no reference on the diagram - but the text description matches, "ASY,HARN,JUMPER,CHARGEPORT INLET" and part number 1551811-00-B.

So, I'm pretty close to just ordering that charge port ($130 or so), as well as a Windows key shut up, but if I did that, I wouldn't know where the pins land on the ECU without the matching little harness. Might just poke my muse (small m) contact and ask if they've got any ideas on it - but meanwhile, does anyone here happen to know what that little connector harness looks like? From the charge port to the ECU...

Reactions: smatthew
OK. Next chain of thought. Check this out. This is what APPEARS to be the charge port for Gen4. This is wildly different! 🤯

View attachment 767931

It's entirely separate, no integrated harness. Great for improved serviceability. Looks like it has the 24-pin harness that plugs *into* it (an odd choice... the 24pin plugs into the ECU, right next to it, so why did it need to be detachable here?).

Therein lies the problem, though: none of the parts I can find, have the 24-pin harness connected. They're all missing it. And Tesla's EPC is entirely missing that entire part of the question. It's really disjointed, there.
View attachment 767933
(mind the "activate Windows". I just got a Framework laptop and haven't quite got around to buying a Windows license for it yet. haha)

Not sure what this highlighted item is - it's just labeled * - with no reference on the diagram - but the text description matches, "ASY,HARN,JUMPER,CHARGEPORT INLET" and part number 1551811-00-B.

So, I'm pretty close to just ordering that charge port ($130 or so), as well as a Windows key shut up, but if I did that, I wouldn't know where the pins land on the ECU without the matching little harness. Might just poke my muse (small m) contact and ask if they've got any ideas on it - but meanwhile, does anyone here happen to know what that little connector harness looks like? From the charge port to the ECU...
As soon as I hear you've got this figured out I'm ordering all the necessary parts! 2018 LR RWD here. Would love to be able to CCS charge.

View attachment 767931

View attachment 767933

Having an 2021 I should have the necessary part already on my car? Only issue seems to be the stripped GEN4 ECU. So technically just changing it should enable me to charge ccs without any other modifications...

Having an 2021 I should have the necessary part already on my car? Only issue seems to be the stripped GEN4 ECU. So technically just changing it should enable me to charge ccs without any other modifications...
You need just GEN4 ECU with CCS chip
Even EPC says to replace with 00-B
1644694581198.png

No idea...but that present on ALL GEN4 vehicles, and NOT on GEN3, costs 13USD.

Last edited:
Reactions: FalconFour
And with that, I've now ordered the mysterious 1551811-00-B as well as the "Tesla says this will work just fine" replacement charge port (not the odd detached Gen4-seeming one above) that I ordered long ago with the last service visit.

I didn't order the lone port above from Tesla, though, because, well... they wanted like $350 for it! 😂 It was in stock at least, unlike the other parts. Huh. To eBay it is, then - where it's only $150ish :)

Next milestone stop: Feb 24.

I am part of the lucky one that got my SR+ 2021 with the GEN4 stripped ECU... so it's saying CCS not installed. I am trying to get the *real* Gen4 and swap my ECU.
My M3 LR build date is 8/21 and I read the below on the CCS adapter website:

Note: There is a period Jun2021-Sep2021 when Tesla made cars without CCS chip PN 1537264-80-B GEN4
VIN range approx ~MF990xxx-MF050xxx, those will work if replace ECU to 00-B

And sure enough my VIN is 027XXX and says no CCS support on the vehicle info 😒🤮

And with that, I've now ordered the mysterious 1551811-00-B as well as the "Tesla says this will work just fine" replacement charge port (not the odd detached Gen4-seeming one above) that I ordered long ago with the last service visit.

I didn't order the lone port above from Tesla, though, because, well... they wanted like $350 for it! 😂 It was in stock at least, unlike the other parts. Huh. To eBay it is, then - where it's only $150ish :)

Next milestone stop: Feb 24.
Hey FF....Any thoughts about the use of Gen3 wall charger working with your update? And do you have the CCS1 adapter as of yet?

Hey FF....Any thoughts about the use of Gen3 wall charger working with your update? And do you have the CCS1 adapter as of yet?
I have no doubt it'll work just fine -- the wall connectors have been speaking SWC (single wire CAN) after a brief J1772 (+/-12v analog) negotiation period for years. That's how you get detailed info about the Tesla unit (regarding faults, etc) if something goes wrong, vs J1772 just going "something's wrong" ambiguously. Though I believe I've heard that Gen3 wall connector has a switch that can fully disable the J1772 mode. SWC has been the standard protocol in Tesla for around a decade or so now, I think (thus, all gens support it) - and Superchargers at least in the US speak SWC as well.

There's a little relay on each ECU board that switches between SWC and J1772 signaling circuits. CCS is just "J1772 with extra steps" - so that little relay stays in the J1772 position, but on the Gen4 charge port ECU (and EU Gen3) there's an additional PLC coil/controller that modulates the RF signal for PLC into it (the digital side of CCS lives in high-frequency RF, while analog J1772 lives in the low-frequency realm - both run at the same time on CCS). CCS is wacky, man!

I have the adapter (EVHub one / AlexUA's adapter), though the one I currently have is one I'm just borrowing from another owner. I plan to buy my own shortly. Videos of CCS charging posted earlier are done with that adapter.

I also just realized... the wiring diagram of the Gen4 charge port includes pin numbers for the charge port side of the missing harness!

1644806484016.png

(meh, I like recycling... even diagrams ;) )

That means I don't need the little missing harness in order to make this mapping, once I get the charge port from eBay. Woohoo.

Some Dremeling may be required, though... 🤔 I hope this isn't going to need to be a destructive investigation once I get it. It'd be nice to be able to flip every part back into service, and not be out TOO much money on this endeavor. haha

So, that's good news! Hopefully next weekend there can be more tinkering. The parts from Digikey arrived for building the adapter harness (both male and female sides of the 24-pin connector), so it's all just waiting for me to find the necessary info about how these darn thermistors are wired internally.

(But I can't help but notice they're called out as X320, X312, and X321... 3 different connectors with overlapping pin numbers. Hmm. I may just be tripped up by THERM-4 as a red herring! Given the grouping, X321 likely doesn't even exist on the single NA/Tesla and EU/Type-2 cars!)

Attachments

• 1644806373048.png
    1644806373048.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 197
I just did the swap from P1537264-80-B (Gen4 ECU without CCS) to P1537264-00-B. I drove to the tesla service centre, got the car in service mode. Drove home. Unplug 12V battery, unplug main battery. Installed the new ECU, plug everything back. Request re-install of firmware. Got out of service mode and everything is fine. I plug the car on my Tesla Wall charger and it's working. I will go try the SC and chademo tomorrow. I should get my CCS in 2 weeks. So far very easy swap. Sorry it's in french but you can see the car says CCS activated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.16.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 2.16.02 PM.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 3.27.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 3.27.26 PM.png
    300.3 KB · Views: 156
I just did the swap from P1537264-80-B (Gen4 ECU without CCS) to P1537264-00-B. I drove to the tesla service centre, got the car in service mode. Drove home. Unplug 12V battery, unplug main battery. Installed the new ECU, plug everything back. Request re-install of firmware. Got out of service mode and everything is fine. I plug the car on my Tesla Wall charger and it's working. I will go try the SC and chademo tomorrow. I should get my CCS in 2 weeks. So far very easy swap. Sorry it's in french but you can see the car says CCS activated!
You welcome ;-)
SC and Chademo will be fine.
Your case is really easy. 2017-mid2020 not that easy

Did Tesla charge you for this firmware flash?
When you picked up the ECU, they put the car in service mode?

Nice. Is that the new EA site at the back side of Valley Fair mall? I just drove by there a couple days ago.

Yup yup. Same site at this guy used for the Lucid testing:
- maybe even the same station :)

Really, really nice place! I know it's a "flagship" site, so it's rather unique (kinda like Tesla's Kettleman City is a "flagship", not the normal style of installation), but my god, it's wonderfully designed. Stalls are marked with kW right on the ground. I could find the 350kW station quickly as I was driving through.

It's not going to be "unique" for much longer.

Electrify America will be installing these solar canopies across the country.

867148.jpg

867149.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.