Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit to matrix (global) headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just to update on this -- the aliexpress matenet -> H-MTD cable arrived today, so just over two weeks from order to arrival. And that might have been impacted by Chinese New Year too. Haven't tested it yet, but appears to be a well made cable

The media converter arrived a while ago. Can be powered by USB-C hooked up to a laptop or even the car's USB-C port. If you wish to use the dedicated power connector, the port is a molex microfit, and the bottom pin is the positive.

Haven't tested a gigabit connection to a car yet. But I can confirm it handles two wire gigabit just fine. And can also confirm that the ethernet port is indeed an Ix Industrial port and works fine with one of the ix industrial -> RJ45 cables you can find on mouser and the like.
Terranx..Did you have to install any special software or configure the rad moon 2 at all? Or does it just work once you plug it all in? Do I need to have in slave, master or auto setting? I wish I didn't have to wait 2-3 weeks for the Chinese cable... UGH

Ordered a rad moon 2 w ethernet port, matrix headlights for model S, adapter plugs, and h-mtd to matenet data cable from china. Once all comes in I'll be ready to have my configurator guy do his magic. Hoping the rad moon and cable recognize the car just fine. Has anyone used an apple MacBook to connect to car and configure?
I used a Dell desktop from Costco (from 2016). It’s my garage desktop for music and videos. My guy used Anydesk.

I’m not aware if TeslasWare or toolbox runs on MacBook. I would like to know too.

Terranx..Did you have to install any special software or configure the rad moon 2 at all? Or does it just work once you plug it all in? Do I need to have in slave, master or auto setting?
No software needed. Auto setting should be fine. Otherwise probably slave (that’s what Tesla recommended for the technica engineering one I think)

Only thing to watch out for - If the lights are blinking green it’s in gigabit mode. If they’re blinking yellow (really it’s a red and green led on together), it’s in 100mbit mode. You can switch gigabit / 100mbit by holding the auto button for a few seconds

As far as waiting 2-3 weeks... You MIGHT be able to use this and just force one end onto the h-mtd pins (polarity doesn't matter, the interface figures it out on its own). But untested. This would be the frame for the matenet connector if you want the connection secure at the matenet end

Last edited:
I used a Dell desktop from Costco (from 2016). It’s my garage desktop for music and videos. My guy used Anydesk.

I’m not aware if TeslasWare or toolbox runs on MacBook. I would like to know too.
Way back when I had retrofitted the gobal tail lamps and rear fog lamps to my model 3, I used an Intel Mac without issue. Not sure if Apple Silicon mac would work

Reactions: Daytonaviolet
Nope, Magnus Moss. They can’t at least not in the US or EU. Though you bring up a decent point on Warranty I’d like to mention.

1. Tesla won’t install parts on a vehicle that aren’t “intended” for that car. They will sell them. And you get a 1 year part warranty on the piece. Though that doesn’t include labor. But, if you buy them outside of the Tesla channel, through the service center or EPC direct business order, you get no warranty. IE, don’t expect a warranty replacement on eBay parts.

2. If you replace a factory part with one that is “improved” or different. Then those parts of your car aren’t covered by the bumper to bumper warranty any more. As an example, let’s say you replace the headlight with Matrix lights, but the aim is off. You can take it to the Service Center and ask them to align the headlights, but you should expect to pay the hourly rate for it.

Outside of these two examples most service centers won’t care or notice. And you might get the occasional replacement through, but you should expect a call and required payment if they discover the change. They know every part your car came with, and if it’s been replaced by them.

Terranx..Did you have to install any special software or configure the rad moon 2 at all? Or does it just work once you plug it all in? Do I need to have in slave, master or auto setting? I wish I didn't have to wait 2-3 weeks for the Chinese cable... UGH
So looking into this further, seems you’d need to put the converter in “legacy” mode to communicate with the car. You can do so by holding the slave button while powering on the converter

Reactions: vogtaction
No software needed. Auto setting should be fine. Otherwise probably slave (that’s what Tesla recommended for the technica engineering one I think)

Only thing to watch out for - If the lights are blinking green it’s in gigabit mode. If they’re blinking yellow (really it’s a red and green led on together), it’s in 100mbit mode. You can switch gigabit / 100mbit by holding the auto button for a few seconds

As far as waiting 2-3 weeks... You MIGHT be able to use this and just force one end onto the h-mtd pins (polarity doesn't matter, the interface figures it out on its own). But untested. This would be the frame for the matenet connector if you want the connection secure at the matenet end
Thank you for the info! Sorry, I must not have email notifications turned on , so just now seeing this.
Our cars need it to be in gigabit mode correct? My employer is actually a distributor of TE connectivity, I'm going to see if they can send me some samples of these part numbers maybe. My rad moon 2 should be here tomorrow!

Thank you for the info! Sorry, I must not have email notifications turned on , so just now seeing this.
Our cars need it to be in gigabit mode correct? My employer is actually a distributor of TE connectivity, I'm going to see if they can send me some samples of these part numbers maybe. My rad moon 2 should be here tomorrow!
Yeah needs to be gigabit mode. And from what I'm reading in the documenation of other media converters, it also needs to be set to "legacy" mode instead of IEEE mode (presumably whatever chip Tesla was using was produced before the spec was finalized).

With gigabit mode, the status LEDs will be blinking green. You could switch between gigabit and 100mbit by holding any button for a ~3 seconds.

For legacy mode, the LED on Master / Slave / Auto will be blinking purple (instead of blue). To set legacy mode, hold the slave button as you power on the device.

The settings should be remembered, so you shouldn't have to set all that every time.

Also if you're able to get samples from TE, it might be worth grabbing some of their GEMNet connectors. They look like they're made to be compatible with H-MTD, though it isn't outright stated. Crimping one of those on to one end of the matenet wire would probably do the trick. Looks like they only recently launched so Mouser et al don't quite have stuff in stock yet.

Last edited:
FYI

Both Ms and Mx require adapters when upgrading to matrix lights. Ms and Mx adapters are different.