Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah bugger. First time I’m having this issue now

0AE4DA4E-FDB1-49A8-AF8E-7EEE4822A8F9.jpeg

Happened to me for the second time now, overnight charge still going in the morning at 16A. I sat in the car and reduced the rate to 5A then back up to 30A as another poster tried and this corrected it and finished the charge at 30A.

I've raised a service request so hopefully that will find it's way to the software bug team.

Reactions: Roy W.
My second charge last night, after the last update. For me it seems they've well and truly screwed up charging.

Details in the graph below, but the scheduled charge started at 2030 at 32A. At about 2113 the charge rate dropped to 17A, but I didn’t notice this until I checked at about 2150. I stopped and restarted the charge, and again, it ramped up to 17A. I stopped it again and restarted, and this time it ramped up to the correct 32A, where it stayed until it reached the charge limit of 80%.

All the way through the charge the Pilot Current was showing as 32A.

Grr :mad:

12A3C441-CBBF-4422-BE4F-70628EE7CC6C.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking at my TeslaMate data from last night, mine strangely dropped the Current(pilot) also for a short period before it returned to 32A but the Current(A) never returned to that level. The charging then stopped, as per my Octopus Agile settings, and when it resumed another 30 min charge block which isn't shown below everything automatically went to 32A.

M3P, 2020.20.12 + Ohme Wall Charger

upload_2020-6-21_8-58-17.png

My second charge last night, after the last update. For me it seems they've well and truly screwed up charging.

Details in the graph below, but the scheduled charge started at 2030 at 32A. At about 2113 the charge rate dropped to 17A, but I didn’t notice this until I checked at about 2150. I stopped and restarted the charge, and again, it ramped up to 17A. I stopped it again and restarted, and this time it ramped up to the correct 32A, where it stayed until it reached the charge limit of 80%.

All the way through the charge the Pilot Current was showing as 32A.

Grr :mad:

View attachment 553888

As a few others have said, I can get around this by starting a charge and, when it drops and stays around 16/17A, I either stop and restart the charge, or in the car decrease down to say 5A then wind back up to 32A, and all is good. This is a pain though, as you have to intervene at some point!

I also did my usual Scheduled Charge overnight, and it stayed in 32A without intervention. The only difference this time is that the battery SOC was at <50% at the start, so you never know, this might sort it? Will keep an eye on it.

Had this for the first time overnight. Dropped to 17a but Teslafi shows that the charger was still offering 32a. Stopping and starting the charge got it back up to 32a but I didn't see this issue on Thursday when I charged ~65% overnight.

slow charge.png

Do we request a service for this to let Tesla know?
Yes, please. I raised a service request for mobile service a few days ago. If previous experience is anything to go by, after the request is dealt with it will be changed to “software only” and the visit cancelled. But the more people that report the problem, the sooner it will be fixed.

Reactions: ACarneiro
As a few others have said, I can get around this by starting a charge and, when it drops and stays around 16/17A, I either stop and restart the charge, or in the car decrease down to say 5A then wind back up to 32A, and all is good. This is a pain though, as you have to intervene at some point!

I also did my usual Scheduled Charge overnight, and it stayed in 32A without intervention. The only difference this time is that the battery SOC was at <50% at the start, so you never know, this might sort it? Will keep an eye on it.
I tried this method of reducing down to 5A then back up to max and seems to have worked for me too (temporarily?). But yes a pain to have to intervene.

Charging in the early hours this morning is showing a typical charge rate for me. This is the second charge after 2020.20.12 (first one had a short reduction as previously posted). This seems to conform that all is normal for me. Good luck to all those who have been reporting continuing issues.
charge2106.jpg

I have the same issue so it definitely looks like a bug.

Did a big journey yesterday. Charged to 100% did the round trip and down to 30 miles of range remaining (lowest i’ve used the battery). Started charging last night at 32amp, then after a while dropped to 16/17 amps. Stopped it and restarted and it went back to 32 for a while then back to 16/17. Unhappy :(