Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, ok thank. Thought we'd definitely hear before deliveries, but good to know to set expectations.
I wouldn't get your hopes up for a major revision of the Model 3 in the next year.

Ever since the Y was released in early '20, Tesla has been working to get the 3/Y at 'feature parity'. They've finally achieved that (heat pump, lights, interior, etc.)

It took 3 years to get them virtually identical, why would they split the 3 off, now?

Will they make a cosmetic change to front/rear bumpers? Possibly. But I wouldn't wait for that considering we don't know if it will look better or worse than what we have today.

Autopilot HW4 won't come until after the Cypertruck is in mass production. Yoke is not coming (Hans said so last week), the MCU just got upgraded a year ago. 4680s aren't coming anytime soon, they can't even use 4680s in a Performance Y (not enough power) so it's limited to Standard Range models for the foreseeable future. Performance+ ain't coming. When you go <3.0s 0-60, you'll need different tires, possibly different suspension. Plus it would potentially cannibalize Plaid sales.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a major revision of the Model 3 in the next year.

Ever since the Y was released in early '20, Tesla has been working to get the 3/Y at 'feature parity'. They've finally achieved that (heat pump, lights, interior, etc.)

It took 3 years to get them virtually identical, why would they split the 3 off, now?

Will they make a cosmetic change to front/rear bumpers? Possibly. But I wouldn't wait for that considering we don't know if it will look better or worse than what we have today.

Autopilot HW4 won't come until after the Cypertruck is in mass production. Yoke is not coming (Hans said so last week), the MCU just got upgraded a year ago. 4680s aren't coming anytime soon, they can't even use 4680s in a Performance Y (not enough power) so it's limited to Standard Range models for the foreseeable future. Performance+ ain't coming. When you go <3.0s 0-60, you'll need different tires, possibly different suspension. Plus it would potentially cannibalize Plaid sales.
I agree, I have very little expectation for changes which will be relevant or usas users. They will improve manufacturering efficiency simplifying with this giga casting and maybe removing some stuff. Probably good changes but nothing that will be worth delay delivery.

Reactions: turns2stone
I agree, I have very little expectation for changes which will be relevant or usas users. They will improve manufacturering efficiency simplifying with this giga casting and maybe removing some stuff. Probably good changes but nothing that will be worth delay delivery.
New casting for the 3 will certainly come, but it could be years? Tesla is super-focused on Cybertruck right now, and certainly the spies/drones would be giving us at least a year of heads up when something that giant starts to impact the production line(s).

Reactions: gglockner
According to Teslarati, Tesla is working on a new production line in Fremont for the Highland update now.

My predictions.
- Rear gigacasting - yes
- Front gigacasting - maybe
- 4680 batteries - no
- Minor redesign of nose and tail - yes
- HW4 - no
- Upgraded entertainment computer with video card like Model S/X - maybe
- Yoke instead of steering wheel - no
- Buttons on steering wheel instead of stalks - unlikely, but maybe

Reactions: turns2stone
According to Teslarati, Tesla is working on a new production line in Fremont for the Highland update now.

My predictions.
- Rear gigacasting - yes
- Front gigacasting - maybe
- 4680 batteries - no
- Minor redesign of nose and tail - yes
- HW4 - no
- Upgraded entertainment computer with video card like Model S/X - maybe
- Yoke instead of steering wheel - no
- Buttons on steering wheel instead of stalks - unlikely, but maybe
Front casting would require a new giga press, which we would likely see in the works if that were happening. Model 3 should be able to use the same rear casting as Y.

Front casting would require a new giga press, which we would likely see in the works if that were happening. Model 3 should be able to use the same rear casting as Y.
I think a front casting would just require a different die from the rear. I think the bigger question is how many castings can they produce in Fremont. Even if they only went to a casting on the rear of the Model 3, that would increase the number of needed castings pretty substantially, maybe double over what they're currently doing with the Model Y. Add in front castings, and they'd have to roughly triple the current casting output. I'm assuming a roughly 50/50 split of Model 3s and Ys being produced in Fremont.

Also, to date, the only Model Ys with front castings have been the ones with structural battery packs and 4680 batteries. Since I'm pretty sure that they won't be going to structural battery packs with 4680 batteries in the Model 3 at this point, I think it would be difficult to justify the additional engineering and development work to create a front casting without the structural battery pack. Maybe later when 4680 battery production has really cranked up it will be worth doing.

Last edited:
For the Q4 2022, Q1-2 2023 'taking delivery' crowds, don't let FOMO drag you down. If anything you might be in luck to pickup legacy 3s/Ys at the end of production and before they are further dummed down with an added pinch of polarizing styling changes.

This refresh (which we have been talking about since the time of the 2021 refresh, long before this thread and last few rounds of test mule photos) will likely be the only substantial change these car get for the next 3-4 years.

With no 4/Z on the horizon, a decade+ old S/X chassis and body style language - Tesla needs to rethink the mess their continuous improvement strategy and software lockout has created on the right to service, post warranty front. AND consider new models to replace the aging fleet.

With no 4/Z on the horizon, a decade+ old S/X chassis and body style language - Tesla needs to rethink the mess their continuous improvement strategy and software lockout has created on the right to service, post warranty front. AND consider new models to replace the aging fleet.
No 4/Z, but there is a Cybertruck/Roadster on the near and far horizon respectively. The current S/X chassis is a pretty different animal from the early model S and X; it really isn't a decade+ old. Regarding a "continuous improvement strategy", that has certainly worked well for Porsche with their 911 over the decades, and I don't see how that causes a problem with right to service. I'm also not sure what you're referring to with a "software lockout". The service manuals and software to maintain a Tesla are available, so I don't see servicing Teslas post warranty to be an issue.

The one grumble I have about Tesla making changes to their cars is that they could at least do some little things, like different colors from year to year without causing any increase in the cost of manufacturing. That would help to make the cars appear fresher.

Reactions: enemji and Mash
The Cybertruck and Roadster are niche products and thus far - vaporware just like FSD. Very different products for a different target vs the 3/Y for the masses.

Hopefully Tesla offers a dumbed down Roadster for the price of a Taycan turbo or e-Boxster GTS. And a Cybertruck that doesnt look right at home in a remake of the Running Man or Total Recall.

Irrespective of the changes Tesla made to the S/X along the way (project Highland will likely be in the same exact spirit), they are old reheated designs with a few new motors, thermal management transplants and infotainment slapped on in a desperate attempt to keep them relevant.

And yes, we have had access to the service manuals and Toolbox and service dongles flavors (via 'alternative' means long before Tesla made them available, and finally legally) for quite some time.

But they don't quite cut it and as any Tesla Certified Body shop will tell you - part incompatibility, VIN ringfencing and gateway lockouts for many basic parts are a thing - even for same manufacture year and region cars. Things like doors, trim, fasteners, latches, and of course headlights, taillights, etc.

Yes, color palette is pathetic and should not be left to end users to respray, wrap, liquid wrap their cars to expand the available list of colors to Camcord level.

Tesla invested a lot into the thermal managment system, then the HVB and even LVB space, which is great and lightyears ahead of the competition, then focused on infotainment (ugh).
But at the same time has not done much in the fit finish, materials quality and suspension longevity departments, driver engagement departments. Leaving all that on the table for aftermarket to offer up solutions.

Hopefully the refreshed Taycan and e-Boxster, e-Macan (whatever Porsche decides to call them) rekindle Teslas competative spirit. As-is, the 3 and Y are againg too quickly.

Camry colors are white, black, red, two shades of blue, and a few shades of gray / silver. Accord colors are white, black, red, blue, and a few shades of gray / silver.

Kinda weird to compare $25k cars to $55k (or whatever M3s cost today) cars.

How does the M3's color choices stack up against something like a comparably priced Audi, BMW, or Mercedes? I know Audi has dozens of available colors - for a price. Not sure about other premium manufacturers.

How does the M3's color choices stack up against something like a comparably priced Audi, BMW, or Mercedes? I know Audi has dozens of available colors - for a price. Not sure about other premium manufacturers.
They're all about the same, and really not that much different from Tesla, other than you can typically pay many thousands of dollars and get a custom color.

BMWs come in a wide variety of colors, but some of those are so extreme, that I doubt they sell more than a handful of cars with those colors. And there also are multiple grays, whites and blues. Of my 8 BMWs, I had fjord (light blue metallic), silver, malaga (magenta), three whites and two metallic blue grays. I always bought off the existing inventory and color only influenced my decision if it (or upholstery colors) were wacky.

Tesla offers a limited color choice to save production cost. I'd rather have less color choice than higher prices.