Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point about modern cars moving away from fog lights @NCDAG's M3P I didn't realize that they had gone out of fashion but now that I look, it seems you are correct. And honestly, main beams have been so good for the last 20 years that the fog lights are of little or no help in actual fog.

As for front cameras, there is something in the vent here which looks kinda round...

1681439770355.png

Welp, this explains the bulging dashboard. Let the Yokestorm/Stalkshow begin....

FtmOOrFaIAAq7_O.jpg

Read more here:

I have a 22’ Jan LR M3. Wondering if miwsbtbe time to sell it prior to this new design coming out? once it does, gen 1 m3 will depreciate overnight. Right now I could sell and recover my original deposit and be out nothing. (My pprice was from May 2021 so still have some decent value).

Thoughts? I have put a yoke in my current M3 anyway so not going to miss that. I’m more curious about range, suspension, interior fit/finish.

• Funny
Reactions: superflyrolla
I have a 22’ Jan LR M3. Wondering if miwsbtbe time to sell it prior to this new design coming out? once it does, gen 1 m3 will depreciate overnight. Right now I could sell and recover my original deposit and be out nothing. (My pprice was from May 2021 so still have some decent value).

Thoughts? I have put a yoke in my current M3 anyway so not going to miss that. I’m more curious about range, suspension, interior fit/finish.

Facelifts don't usually cause depreciation of older models. If you're worried about depreciation your bigger concern should be Tesla arbitrarily slashing thousands of dollars off new car order prices.

It might help the resell value of your car. I for one don’t like the new front end and missing fog lights. Those are just cosmetic concerns, but if it has a yoke or stalkless controls, I would really be reluctant to buy the new version. A 2022 with the old design would be desirable to those of us you might not like the new changes.

Two problems with that-

1. Kilowatt has a spy photo of a Highland 3 going by and guess what? Round steering wheel.

2. A redesigned yoke is on the way previewed in the CT, and it does not look what's in the cheesy pic and vid from China.
Another way to view this:

In the black car (street view, camouflaged) you can see an instrument panel in front of the driver. While the words ‘cost reduction’ might have made folks worried that the Model 3 would go off in a shiny/Nissan Leaf grade polymer direction, it could also mean that there will be more parts sharing among the range. Even having similar moldings between products = cheaper tooling/production costs. I think this dash is real, and Tesla might be the victim of some geo political issues with Chinese suppliers (leaks).

Regarding the steering wheel, you might be correct-but again Tesla tends to use ‘batches’ of parts until depleted before switching to another in its interiors, and maybe the unrevised yolk will be used until the CT version is ready more mass production/used across the range.

Tesla has shown it prefers the cars to of the marketing (Pop up door handles on the original S, Falcon doors on the X, one display/stark interior on the 3/Y, CT stainless steel construction and shape, central seat semi) so the yolk option would still be ‘newsy’ enough to garner attention beyond the obvious (best selling EV sedan that led to mass adoption, etc).

POV: automotive designer. But I could be wrong 100%.

Like some others here, I do not care that much about the cosmetics of the front end, or even about whether or not the new Model 3 will have fog lights (many high-end cars no longer have them as the standard front headlights have improved). What I care more about are other practical aspects of the design, including but not limited to: battery and range options, steering wheel vs. yoke, stalks and other aspects of the controls, potential revisions to the display, seats (i.e., seat design and comfort), suspension, drive-assist features, wipers, and overall price and model options. And about those issues, we really don't know very much.

Like some others here, I do not care that much about the cosmetics of the front end, or even about whether or not the new Model 3 will have fog lights (many high-end cars no longer have them as the standard front headlights have improved). What I care more about are other practical aspects of the design, including but not limited to: battery and range options, steering wheel vs. yoke, stalks and other aspects of the controls, potential revisions to the display, seats (i.e., seat design and comfort), suspension, drive-assist features, wipers, and overall price and model options. And about those issues, we really don't know very much.

Well put.

The vast amount of buyers do. In addition to the others things you mentioned.

My M3 LR is a month older than yours and has been flawless so far. I would hate to replace it and get one that gives me problems but has a nice new face lift. I'm keeping mine.

Reactions: enemji
The vast amount of buyers do. In addition to the others things you mentioned.
While I cannot find any empirical data to support or refute your argument, I believe the vast majority of the public doesn't give a rip about fog lights (and I bet most people that have them don't use them).

What is being written here is a very skewed sampling: a regular poster on these (or any) boards will be more passionate about the fine details of their car. But the active users of TMC represent maybe 1/10th of 1 percent of Tesla owners (purely my speculation on that figure).

If the technology of the headlights that Tesla uses has advanced to the point of rendering fog lamps obsolete, why would they want to add them (along with the added cost)? (And yes, it is purely speculative as to whether the Highland version of the 3 has such headlights.)

While I cannot find any empirical data to support or refute your argument, I believe the vast majority of the public doesn't give a rip about fog lights (and I bet most people that have them don't use them).

What is being written here is a very skewed sampling: a regular poster on these (or any) boards will be more passionate about the fine details of their car. But the active users of TMC represent maybe 1/10th of 1 percent of Tesla owners (purely my speculation on that figure).

If the technology of the headlights that Tesla uses has advanced to the point of rendering fog lamps obsolete, why would they want to add them (along with the added cost)? (And yes, it is purely speculative as to whether the Highland version of the 3 has such headlights.)
I can only speak for myself, but I find fog lights to be basically useless. I've had them on 7 or 8 cars that I've owned, and every time that I've tried them, I have not been impressed. About the only thing I think they might help for is if the fog is so bad that you can only do about 5MPH. If the fog is that bad, I'm either going to find somewhere to pull over and stop or find an alternative form of transportation.

I am pushing back on this concept no one cares about what their car looks like on the outside. Yes, they do, the M3 is not going a decade like the niche MS without some exterior changes if Tesla wants growing sales. Example, we are on our third set of wheels for the M3 and about to go to a forth design, even Tesla recognized keeping the exterior fresh. Tesla is no dummy, the only negative about the M3 exterior design was the front some saying looked like a frog, fish, platypus take your pick. Tesla just fixed that and probably hoping to get another 5 years of strong sales out of the present platform.

As regards fog lights most people forget they have them, use them incorrectly or really does not make a difference in fog. Tesla probably does have empirical data showing how many times fog lights were actually used and its probably not much. This is a cost cutting exercise so might as well get rid of them since most likely they were not being used anyway. With the use of castings, cutting fog lights and sensors, etc. it would be interesting if Tesla cut more than the 20% goal in costs.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P