Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They really need more variety in models & colors. I went to a meeting at a local mid-tier country club yesterday (not a member). The parking lot was probably 40% teslas... Not wanting to be like everyone else is going to slow sales.
Probably a driver of all the customization that's going on. If these are days of slow sales I'd hate to see accelerated sales
20220526_095513.jpg

Please explain to us how a superficial 'facelift' on the Model 3 is going to provide a meaningful test ramp for the $25,000 and radically simplified Tesla Model 2?
I never said it would.

In fact I've said the opposite. I've said to get to $25,000 you would need to rework the powertrain, self driving, body and mass production. I've also said that is a space Chinese manufacturers like BYD already own.

But the model 3 is going to become cheaper, because it is too expensive in China and China is dictating the EV market as 50% of all EV's sold are in China. If Tesla isn't competitive in China, they will be pushed out of all markets by the Chinese manufacturers.

To move into that space Tesla would have to accept essentially that is a non-profit area, that would be a continual drain on economic and engineering resources purely for volume, competition against state supported and subsidised entities that are doing to purely for geostrategic concerns.

There was a supposed leak - yet to be confirmed anyhow - showing the new design of the trunk lid. As the rear part of the prototypes have also been covered and we got a glimpse of new rear lights, it might actually be the first look at a new taillight shape to match the new, slimmer headlights.

37db48b1acf60aa49c57940a724eb446dd65b362_2_690x288.jpeg

I have created a quick mockup to see how this could look on an actual car, so I created an overlay based on this image.

I also added a slightly modified Model Y Diffusor to give the rear a bit more contrast without being too "mod-like" and somewhat OEM look.

1682496023095.png

1682496036827.png

There was a supposed leak - yet to be confirmed anyhow - showing the new design of the trunk lid. As the rear part of the prototypes have also been covered and we got a glimpse of new rear lights, it might actually be the first look at a new taillight shape to match the new, slimmer headlights.

37db48b1acf60aa49c57940a724eb446dd65b362_2_690x288.jpeg

I have created a quick mockup to see how this could look on an actual car, so I created an overlay based on this image.

I also added a slightly modified Model Y Diffusor to give the rear a bit more contrast without being too "mod-like" and somewhat OEM look.

View attachment 931996

View attachment 931997
brake lights are overrated ...

The more photos and renders I see of Highland and Juniper, the less likely I am to buy another Tesla.

Maybe its time to just give up on cars period since there is still nothing else out there that's compelling in the EV category (too bad the TCO on a facelifted Taycan or Boxter EV is astronomically high) while ICE - well ICE is just dead.

Tesla should offer a $100-150K vanilla spec Roadster, and an $80-120K mid size liftback sedan slotted between the 3 and S. And NOT dump either of them down aside for performance vs say Plaids.

Exactly. Modern Buicks, for example, always require some degree of explanation as to why you would even want to open the door.
That's the funniest post I've read on this forum ever.

On a side note - don't forget that LFP has much lower volumetric density, so it can't go on anything else except standard range.

Last edited:
Probably a driver of all the customization that's going on. If these are days of slow sales I'd hate to see accelerated sales
Majority of owners do not customize their vehicles - a few bumper changes, interior changes, new options not tied to software (ventilation seats, heads up display and etc) and color offerings would be more Enticing to owners who want/need to upgrade. These are slow days, regardless of Tesla selling more units quarterly.

Reactions: Dayreg
Majority of owners do not customize their vehicles - a few bumper changes, interior changes, new options not tied to software (ventilation seats, heads up display and etc) and color offerings would be more Enticing to owners who want/need to upgrade. These are slow days, regardless of Tesla selling more units quarterly.
For sure not a majority but a significant minority. I doubt a majority of Tesla owners are bent out of shape however about the lack of models.

The more photos and renders I see of Highland and Juniper, the less likely I am to buy another Tesla.

Maybe its time to just give up on cars period since there is still nothing else out there that's compelling in the EV category (too bad the TCO on a facelifted Taycan or Boxter EV is astronomically high) while ICE - well ICE is just dead.

Tesla should offer a $100-150K vanilla spec Roadster, and an $80-120K mid size liftback sedan slotted between the 3 and S. And NOT dump either of them down aside for performance vs say Plaids.
I think that any man who is bored with cars should get a boat

I think that any man who is bored with cars should get a boat
Exactement pourquoi je cours sur des voiliers et des catamarans. Still, the best day in a man's life is not when he buys, but when he sells his boat.

I do hope Tesla doesn't have to reverse course or reinvent their design language in say 3-5 years time - when half the fleet is long overdue for replacement, and the other half generic, watered down and still riddled with issues.

Reactions: Bouba
Exactement pourquoi je cours sur des voiliers et des catamarans. Still, the best day in a man's life is not when he buys, but when he sells his boat.

I do hope Tesla doesn't have to reverse course or reinvent their design language in say 3-5 years time - when half the fleet is long overdue for replacement, and the other half generic, watered down and still riddled with issues.
If you really want to enjoy yourself...go on the boat forum and discuss Teslas 🥺😳😱😜

Let’s see where EM is in 4-5 yrs..mars perhaps? May be good for company to have a new CEO dedicated to Teslas future. Not knocking EM, but he does talk out of his a lot…and at times is the root of the generic, watered down issues today. Ie. Fsd will render all other driver functions useless so it doesn’t matter

Let’s see where EM is in 4-5 yrs..mars perhaps? May be good for company to have a new CEO dedicated to Teslas future. Not knocking EM, but he does talk out of his a lot…and at times is the root of the generic, watered down issues today. Ie. Fsd will render all other driver functions useless so it doesn’t matter
Some of us still love to drive. Safety features are a welcome change, but I prefer to be in control and man the wheel + pedals - call Me old school 😎!

Reactions: Destiny1701
That would be a huge upgrade over the current seats. Or at least offer a perforated version so there's some type of airflow.

On the other hand, people don't realize how bad the seats are until they own the car.
I'd like this too but I find the current seats pretty good. Key for me really was learning to cool the car down before I get in it. If you sit down on a 100f+ seat there just is on way to get that heat out of your back.

That would be a huge upgrade over the current seats. Or at least offer a perforated version so there's some type of airflow.

On the other hand, people don't realize how bad the seats are until they own the car.
The seats are fine in most aspects. The only real issue is that black leather or vinyl (vegan leather) is rather hot after the car has been parked in the sun on a warm day. The white seats option may help, but costs extra and some worry about keeping it clean. Initially, there was supposed to be a cloth seat SR, but then they made the SR to be a software limited SR+ with leather or vinyl seats.

For some reason, leather or something that looks like leather for seat coverings is seen as "premium" in cars, despite its disadvantages.