Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet there is some evidence to the contrary in terms of the number of people in their seventies who are supposedly too old to learn new tricks actually loving the interface in the Model 3/Y It's definitely not everybody's cup of tea but personally I much prefer the absence of buttons and switches except for a few things. On the other hand I'm not a big fan if this is confirmed of project Highland doing away with the control stalks.
I think the stalks are going away on all Teslas. The S and X have already loss them. I got used to the direction being on the screen but wish they would have kept the turn stalks. You can use the buttons on the steering wheel, but it takes a while to adapt.

I personally hate the current signal stalk and how they work. It is not sensitive enough to take my signal input, especially when making left or right turn and then immediate right or left after that. the stalk will register the first input but it will not register the second input, so I can only make one turn signal and turn the other side without the signal, which can be dangerous.
With the button on the steering wheel, all I need is to press either left or right and the transition will be very quick and precise.

Yes, the existing signal stalk is defective and dangerous, but presumably Tesla will fix it after an NHTSA investigation and/or class action lawsuit.

Until then, we just have to ensure that we always depress the stalk for a long enough period of time for it to activate/deactivate.

Hopefully the steering wheel buttons won’t require such a long press, but there’s no guarantee. Actually, there might even be some reasonable justification for a debounce timer on the wheel buttons since they are easily grazed when maneuvering.

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
Per Bloomberg, "Tesla Inc. plans to give an early glimpse of its revamped Model 3 sedan as part of Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk’s first visit to the carmaker’s Shanghai factory in years, according to people familiar with the matter."

Would that be a lot cheaper Model 3?

Considering market conditions, Tesla is vying for mass adoption of Tesla brand amongst a very crowded space of EV offerings. On the other hand, Tesla is highly motivated to charge a premium price for their product, and keep their brand reputation growing. So they might want to name the new Tesla economy version car as Model 3e, instead of Model 2. IMHO, M2 kind of sounds cheap, and the market is not primed for that level of mass adoption yet. I guess we will know the whole story tomorrow.

Would you like to speculate?

Tesla is a data driven tech behemoth. You could be right, the $1,250 drop might disappear tomorrow, or in a couple of days.

Let's see if Tesla will unveil a brand new EV model with a smaller LFP battery and a shorter range. LFP tech would not have a battery lifespan issue with unusable SoC like the Lithium-ion restrictions of 80/20.

Per Bloomberg, "Tesla Inc. plans to give an early glimpse of its revamped Model 3 sedan as part of Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk’s first visit to the carmaker’s Shanghai factory in years, according to people familiar with the matter."

Would that be a lot cheaper Model 3?

Considering market conditions, Tesla is vying for mass adoption of Tesla brand amongst a very crowded space of EV offerings. On the other hand, Tesla is highly motivated to charge a premium price for their product, and keep their brand reputation growing. So they might want to name the new Tesla economy version car as Model 3e, instead of Model 2. IMHO, M2 kind of sounds cheap, and the market is not primed for that level of mass adoption yet. I guess we will know the whole story tomorrow.

Would you like to speculate?
I don't think the revamped Model 3 is the economy car they will be making in the future.

Also, "Model 2" has never been used by Tesla and was just a name that a fan used to call the economy car and has stuck around with some people. I highly doubt Tesla would use that name.

Reactions: HMHM
Two private unveilings for Elon this week, as announced "we are building already." Project Highland, definitely. Model 2 hoping.
I have three children that want to move to EVs/Tesla. One has picked the CT or R1T (deciding) and the other two are targeting the M2. I thought I future proofed the house with 2x Gen3 chargers with dedicated circuits, but I heard the CT might take 80 amps at max. These are fun times and exciting for geeks.

C for coupe or compact. probably 2 seats.
I'd be all over a hot-hatch Model C Performance two-seater similar to the original Honda CRX. Like a fat guy on a pizza. Even though it would weigh nearly twice as much as the original.

But I don't think there is much of a market for those. Instead we'd probably get something stupid like a Nissan Puke or Toyota CHaiR.

• Funny
Reactions: android04
The OG Model 3 was supposed to be called the Model E (hence SEXY vs S3XY), but Ford or some other has-been of the industry called up their suits who brought even legalize at a budding Tesla that caused them to go with the 3 moniker we all know since 2016.

Hopefully Highland and Juniper do not backfire and spell a FIFO demise of Tesla. They have to get this right.

Reactions: android04 and HMHM