Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they should be doing both. cant neglect the Y only because of the 2
I guess if you have unlimited resources it's reasonable to expect that they can redo multiple car lines and re-engineer the manufacturing process all simultaneously. However even Tesla does not have unlimited resources. The Model Y is also the much more recent design so it's really only ~3 years old. You want a 3-year design cycle? Why don't you email Elon and see what he says! Don't you think that a 3-year design cycle is awfully aggressive? If the model 3 essentially took 6 years, I think a reasonable interval for the model Y is 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gasaraki
That's next - that's the so-called project Juniper. Given need for major focus on the upcoming model 2 out of Mexico, Model Y probably won't be refreshed for another two years.
The Y doesn't need redesign for the castings, so may not need a new assembly line. It should be much easier and faster to update the Y with the hardware and bumper cover and lights.

I agree 100%. The Y will be updated before the 2 factory is even completed.
Well the term update is ambiguous. There's an update that is a facelift and then there is something much more extensive/expensive which requires essentially changing the production line. If you're talking about deleting the stalks and other things that aren't all that popular frankly those could be implemented almost immediately. But if you're talking about a different body with better aero and different lights and a re-jiggered assembly process, especially given the evidence that Tesla is massively streamlining the next generation of assembly techniques, that's a bigger deal. People have commented on how the front and rear megacastings in the model y might make such an update cheaper. But the information shared on the recent unveiling of the master plan part 3 suggests that even the model Y is going to undergo extensive streamlining and modularizing of assembly. Time will tell and we're all just speculating. It's understandable that everybody wants the most updated model and we all want update Cycles on the shortest possible timetable. Unless of course we just bought the old model and it turns out the update is really special.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Juniper info. My $.02 is that since the S and X updates were announced simultaneously (as google mentioned), it would surprise me if the 3 and Y were not as well, or at least close to it (a few months apart, max). Reason for my thinking is that once Highland is officially announced, we'll get an Osborne effect on the Y if/as people wait on it.. And yes, I know some people may actually not want some of the "improvements" Juniper will bring. But most people will know, because of the 3, that improvements are coming. And a lot of buyers hate buying the outgoing model knowing a refresh is coming. We'll see though. I admit I'm not overly familiar with Tesla's various production lines or the implications of what I'm saying.

Questions about this - has there been much chatter about the Y getting a Highland-type update? Were the S and X refreshed at the same time? If not, what was the timing difference?
Model Y already has some of the major expected changes of the Model 3 refresh, such as the megacastings.

For parts-and-supply-chain reasons, I think Tesla will want to unify the 3/Y lineup sooner rather than later
You would think so, but even though the current Model 3 and Y could share a single design of headlamps and taillamps, those have not been completely unified to date, even though the different variants physically fit on both models. Recently in the US:

Model 3: mostly Global headlamps, some Premium headlamps, mostly red turn signal taillamps, some recent amber turn signal taillamps.
Model Y: Premium headlamps, amber turn signal taillamps.

Of course, unifying the lighting will become impossible when the refresh Model 3 gets different form factor headlamps and taillamps, at least until (if) the Model Y gets refreshed to have the same form factor headlamps and taillamps.

I guess if you have unlimited resources it's reasonable to expect that they can redo multiple car lines and re-engineer the manufacturing process all simultaneously. However even Tesla does not have unlimited resources. The Model Y is also the much more recent design so it's really only ~3 years old. You want a 3-year design cycle? Why don't you email Elon and see what he says! Don't you think that a 3-year design cycle is awfully aggressive? If the model 3 essentially took 6 years, I think a reasonable interval for the model Y is 5.
the problem is that the Y inside / exterior design is a blown up 3. And that design / interior is now already 6 yrs old...

if the 3 gets a facelift and other new features - while being cheaper than the Y - it would only hurt Y sales because folks would push purchase decisions out to when the facelift eventually comes... not great for Tesla either ...

addionally ... in 2 yrs you will see Ford/ Chevy / Cadillac EVs being shipped the Tesla charging port and seamless supercharging. Tesla needs to stay on top of their game ... the Lyriq / Mach E are both "newer" than the Y (admittedly - they are both also more expensive... but that might change over time)

We’re considering getting another model 3 with all the current incentives. With the highland refresh around the corner, any speculation if the tax credit will still be available then. Trying to see if we should wait or just grab one now.
I can guarantee that the answer to your tax credit question will be one of these three things:
  1. Yes
  2. Yes, but a modified/reduced option
  3. No

Reactions: LiamPope
Totally agree - what you’re saying makes sense , I like the stiff suspension personally which is one of the reasons I got a P model over the LR. I will admit it’s my own fault for not realizing the ‘22 no longer had the lowered P suspension but was already switched to the LR suspension for reasons I’m not sure. But I will say the fact our 3P rides softer than our YP is a little silly. I agree they should offer a smaller wheel for the P model like they do for the Plaid, that way people who want a softer ride can have it.
Exactly and not just that but also can help nicely to increase range. At some point they’ll have enough range that people won’t care about losing 30 - 40 miles from bigger wheels but range is low enough on electric cars I still think it’s an issue.

Run 80% to 20% on battery say most of the time so you don’t get the full range, add in 20 - 30% loss of range in winter. Sometimes you really just do wish for those extra 30 - 40 miles that the LR can hit which is mostly all down to wheel differences.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
That's next - that's the so-called project Juniper. Given need for major focus on the upcoming model 2 out of Mexico, Model Y probably won't be refreshed for another two years.
All the internet chatter has been saying it'll start prep work starting in Q4 this year for production by October 2024.

The big question will be if the updated Model 3 is so desirable will it affect Model Y sales as people will know if they wait a few more months they will get a much better version. And will certain factories switch before others.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
All the internet chatter has been saying it'll start prep work starting in Q4 this year for production by October 2024.

The big question will be if the updated Model 3 is so desirable will it affect Model Y sales as people will know if they wait a few more months they will get a much better version. And will certain factories switch before others.
100%. that's why interior/ feature changes will likely be done sooner than later in both vehicles.

if the 3 comes with ventilated seats / more cameras - and maybe - HD radar and the Y doesnt ... I would be very inclined to wait until the Y gets the refresh before buying. The worst depreciation you see is by buying a car *just before* a facelift is released...

100%. that's why interior/ feature changes will likely be done sooner than later in both vehicles.

if the 3 comes with ventilated seats / more cameras - and maybe - HD radar and the Y doesnt ... I would be very inclined to wait until the Y gets the refresh before buying. The worst depreciation you see is by buying a car *just before* a facelift is released...
Or when you buy one and then Tesla reduces the price by $10k 3 months later…..

The other rumour started today would be this....

Could they possibly refresh the Y interior before the exterior?

the problem is that the Y inside / exterior design is a blown up 3. And that design / interior is now already 6 yrs old...

if the 3 gets a facelift and other new features - while being cheaper than the Y - it would only hurt Y sales because folks would push purchase decisions out to when the facelift eventually comes... not great for Tesla either ...

addionally ... in 2 yrs you will see Ford/ Chevy / Cadillac EVs being shipped the Tesla charging port and seamless supercharging. Tesla needs to stay on top of their game ... the Lyriq / Mach E are both "newer" than the Y (admittedly - they are both also more expensive... but that might change over time)
That's actually a good point on the interior. In any case right now the dual motor Model Y shipping at $47,000 has no competition. Cooled seats and a few other tweaks would be easy to incorporate without redoing the line.

I think you're also assuming the GM is going to overcome their inability to produce EVs. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Maybe eventually before they go bankrupt they will actually hit a production Target but since they put out two Hummers and only a few more lyrics this past quarter I wouldn't expect that they're going to be any competition and actually by the time they are actually able to ramp up (who knows when that will be!) there'll be a new Model 2 capturing all the low end of the market and a revised model Y by late 2024-early 2025.

Last edited:
For parts-and-supply-chain reasons, I think Tesla will want to unify the 3/Y lineup sooner rather than later
What exactly do you mean by unify? They already share 75% of their components mostly suspension, interiors, battery, electronics and EDMs. What is it that you think they should share beyond those that they're not already sharing? Do you really think you know more about streamlining design and Manufacturing than tesla? OMG!

What exactly do you mean by unify? They already share 75% of their components mostly suspension, interiors, battery, electronics and EDMs. What is it that you think they should share beyond those that they're not already sharing? Do you really think you know more about streamlining design and Manufacturing than tesla? OMG!

Tesla obsesses over streamlining production and parts. I'm not saying it makes sense, I'm just describing it.

Having two different headlight designs, 2 types of steering-wheels/stalks/controls, 2 kinds of seats, etc etc bugs them. They want it all one thing wherever possible on the high volume lines

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt