Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is fearing China EVs in their country
BYD, etc
Geely is doing that now with the EX30
These are cheap game changers, hoping Tesla can compete which I think it can with manufacturing in Mexico grabbing IRA NA money
If China builds in NA, they will be able to grab IRA $ but at a more level playing field than lower cost builds from China

So the toughest question to ask here is do you think that you are better at balancing these trade-offs than anybody at Tesla? Cuz these are all obvious considerations. So far, despite all the so-called competition, Tesla continues to completely dominate the EV Market. And if they hit their target of a 50% cost reduction in the model 3 manufacturer relative to its original 2017 production cost, this does mean that they will offer a car still with significant margin at the price point I've suggested or something around there. Whose car even on the drawing board do you think beats the dual motor M3 with 330 miles of range at a list price of 40k?
there's zero evidence/ rumors that Tesla is cutting the Model 3 AWD down to just $40k ....

there's zero evidence/ rumors that Tesla is cutting the Model 3 AWD down to just $40k ....
I'll make you a gentleman's wager that when Highland settles in, maybe not at its introduction, but once it gets going, it's within 2% of a base price with no options for a dual motor car of $40k. Since you're so confident and know more than Tesla perhaps you care to place a gentleman's wager on that possibility. Loser eats crow

My guess, is that Tesla will want a fair price separation between the Model 3 and the Model 2 (I know, but until Tesla gives something else to call it…).
My guess, is that the Highland will be a bit more upscale, and will either be the same price, or will raise the price.
Yup… if a Model 3 AWD is $40k then the Model 3 SR+ can’t be more than around $35k meaning the Model 2 would have to be lower than $25k from the start…. Unrealistic

Model 3 is about the same size as Corolla and Civic, although that says more about how large the latter two have gotten.

M3 185
Camry 192
Corolla 182
Civic 179

M3 and Camry feel like competitors in size

Forgot the width (without mirrors):
M3 72.8 in
Camry 72.4 in
Corolla 70.2 in
Civic 70.9 in

Yeah, M3 is bigger than Corolla and Civic, closer to Camry in size.

Reactions: kpanda17
I'm curious, why would anyone want steer by wire?

Wouldn't that mean if there is a power failure while driving I can't control my wheels at all? If the car has a power failure while not driving tow driver can't control the wheels when moving the car?

What are the consumer benifits to steer by wire? Is it just cheaper for Tesla to make?

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

Wouldn't that mean if there is a power failure while driving I can't control my wheels at all? If the car has a power failure while not driving tow driver can't control the wheels when moving the car?

What are the consumer benifits to steer by wire? Is it just cheaper for Tesla to make?
Auto Pilot steers by wire but there is still a shaft from the steering wheel to the front axle steering mechanism. There likely will be until there is full autonomy and steering wheels are removed.

Video tells the whole story, but a TLDW is the steer by wire allows you to change the steering ratio on the fly. This means a yoke system will actually work as intended.

When on slower roads you never have to turn the steering wheel such that you cross your arms, no matter how sharp the turn (lock to lock is only 150 degrees vs about 800 degrees in a current Tesla). Yet it is not twitchy on the highway given the steering ratio is changed to suit those speeds.

Reactions: blecchus_rex
Infiniti has a steer by wire. It has a physical link that is disconnected by a clutch that engages in case of electrical failure.
This is correct. This is because of federal rules currently prohibiting electronic only steering systems without the steering wheel having any hard physical connection to steering racks tie rods Etc. And it's unlikely those rules will change so that if there is steer by wire somewhere in the production timetable for Highland it will still have to have a traditional physical system as backup. Given the hoopla about accidents and FSD the chances of this rule changing are zero.

Last edited: