Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
model-3-highland-dash.jpg

model-3-highland-wheels.jpg

Reactions: enemji
I have my doubts about that. I would expect the drive by wire to appear on the S or the X before it was on the 3. Who has experience with drive by wire? It would put uncertainty into the buying decision. The 3 is not a high-priced car, how does drive by wire reduce cost?
If the changes are just cost reduction why all the hype about highland?

I have my doubts about that. I would expect the drive by wire to appear on the S or the X before it was on the 3. Who has experience with drive by wire? It would put uncertainty into the buying decision. The 3 is not a high-priced car, how does drive by wire reduce cost?
I thought that drive by wire had been around in autos for a while, and not necessarily just in high-end vehicles. I remember test driving a Passat about 12 years ago where the salesperson said that the car had drive by wire. Certainly the steering of that vehicle felt a bit unusual, and not in a good way: a bit 'dead' actually. Maybe I am mistaken though and what the Passat had was a bit different from what they are now referring to as 'drive by wire'.

The S and X are a generation behind the 3/Y platform wise. I do not count on the S/X to get any serious platform upgrades until it moves to a new generation.

So moving the tweeter off the sail panel on the top of the door to the door itself will speed up assembly. The tweeter and woofer could be assembled in the door and installed much easier.

Tesla removed the tweeter next to the center channel speaker in the dash. In the new dash there is a square opening where the tweeter used to sit.

I thought that drive by wire had been around in autos for a while, and not necessarily just in high-end vehicles. I remember test driving a Passat about 12 years ago where the salesperson said that the car had drive by wire. Certainly the steering of that vehicle felt a bit unusual, and not in a good way: a bit 'dead' actually. Maybe I am mistaken though and what the Passat had was a bit different from what they are now referring to as 'drive by wire'.
Drive by wire means no mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front axel steering mechanism. Until recently, it was illegal to use drive by wire. A car was developed a while ago with drive by wire that had a mechanical fail safe that was clutched in upon power failure.

The Model 3 is a high volume car. Adding something like that would make most people cautious resulting in fewer sales or a slower ramp up. It would make more sense to reveal that tech on a lower volume car, then bring it to a high volume car later. Then there is the cost issue.

Vents? Yeah maybe to reduce cost they would make them manually adjusted. First time buyers wouldn't know the difference because it would be more like what they had been driving.

Only some trims of the Infinity Q50 and Q60 since 2014 or so. And there is still a clutch backup to engage a mechanical link to the rack. Opinions on it seem mixed at best (feels like total crap to many).

He was probably talking about the throttle not steering. Throttle has been DBW for many years

More likely just electric power steering. When it was a new thing i encountered many people who assumed, or were even told by misinformed dealers, that meant 'drive by wire' with no mechanical connection, when all it really means is the assistance is provided by an electric actuator rather than hydraulic. I remember over a decade ago a mate's dad was convinced his new Corsa had no mechanical steering connection when it would have just been EPS. Or possibly even more basic hybrid electric where it's still a hydraulic system but the pump is driven by an electric motor rather than a belt from the engine. Same with this Passat I'm sure.

More likely just electric power steering. When it was a new thing i encountered many people who assumed, or were even told by misinformed dealers, that meant 'drive by wire' with no mechanical connection, when all it really means is the assistance is provided by an electric actuator rather than hydraulic. I remember over a decade ago a mate's dad was convinced his new Corsa had no mechanical steering connection when it would have just been EPS. Or possibly even more basic hybrid electric where it's still a hydraulic system but the pump is driven by an electric motor rather than a belt from the engine. Same with this Passat I'm sure.

That is probably the explanation for what I was told (i.e., misinformed) by the VW salesperson.

Not implying that this is why Tesla may be doing it, but Drive-by-Wire would be an option for achieving speed sensitive steering response. This may be a possible solution to having a non-round steering wheel, and eliminating the need for full rotations to turn.
Sure, buy why go through all the effort just to be weird and still making the car worse than just keeping the round wheel? This is change for changes sake and just makes the car less desirable to non-weirdos.

Reactions: E90alex
Sure, buy why go through all the effort just to be weird and still making the car worse than just keeping the round wheel? This is change for changes sake and just makes the car less desirable to non-weirdos.
For S/X it makes sense because they have an instrument cluster screen, and the yoke gives you a better view. For the 3/Y it makes less sense. The only advantage I can think of it makes the stalkless design more viable (since you no longer have to turn the wheel as much), and that saves Tesla some money.