Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not so much a dealer breaker for myself, but not my preference. I would pay extra fir stalks. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a few weeks.
That is about as long as it took me to get used to the no stalks on my 2022 Model X with yoke. I kind of prefer the yoke and buttons now. I would likely pay the extra for the yoke with a variable steering ratio if it is available when the lease runs out.

Reactions: Olle
No. It may be ever so slightly longer due to details of the shape of the nose and tail but it's not like they added a foot more of "car" and the cost difference on the panels is likely nil.

It is not, at least the models out of Shanghai are nearly the same size.

Apparently an inch longer and bare fraction of an inch taller. Otherwise appears to be basically the same.

Hopefully the extra inch is inner cabin space for back seat.

Exterior Dimensions
Tesla Model 3 HighlandTesla Model 3
Overall Width (mirrors folded)76.1 in (1,933 mm)76.1 in (1,933)
Overall Width (without mirrors)72.8 in (1,850 mm)72.8 in (1,850 mm)
Overall Length185.8 in (4,720 mm)184.8 in (4,694 mm)
Overall Height56.7 in (1,441 mm)56.8 in (1,443 mm)

Fog lamps don't have to be separate lamps - plenty of vehicles have a fog lamp integrated in the main headlamp assembly, some Porsches, old VW's, Mercs etc.

If it's done right, which there's no guarantee Tesla does anything right

The extra inch is 100% bumper covers. Looks like interior hardpoints didn't move.

Highland, if it comes to the USA as-is, adds new bumper brake and tail lights because that's the law; lights visible even if trunk open. So that savings is false, I believe the real reason outside of styling is that it's harder to misalign 1 lamp per side vs two.

Whatever, not having stalks is pretty close to a deal breaker for me - can anyone here say they have had a failure there? Probs not. But worse is no fog lights; half my weather here in marine fog.

Reduction in parts saves $ is the real reason but a lot of that is rationalizing; people would pay for fog lights etc if allowed
Re: stalks-

Early on, I felt that way too,

However, I now drive a refreshed X and very happy with the lack of stalks. It is very easy to put the vehicle into drive/reverse and turn signals are conveniently located.

FWIW- Lack of a full size steering wheel was my show stopper and thankfully Tesla changed direction there.

Last edited:
Apparently an inch longer and bare fraction of an inch taller. Otherwise appears to be basically the same.

Hopefully the extra inch is inner cabin space for back seat.

Exterior Dimensions
Tesla Model 3 HighlandTesla Model 3
Overall Width (mirrors folded)76.1 in (1,933 mm)76.1 in (1,933)
Overall Width (without mirrors)72.8 in (1,850 mm)72.8 in (1,850 mm)
Overall Length185.8 in (4,720 mm)184.8 in (4,694 mm)
Overall Height56.7 in (1,441 mm)56.8 in (1,443 mm)
The body is the same. It’s just an extra inch of bumpers.

Reactions: Olle
Fog lamps don't have to be separate lamps - plenty of vehicles have a fog lamp integrated in the main headlamp assembly, some Porsches, old VW's, Mercs etc.

If it's done right, which there's no guarantee Tesla does anything right

The extra inch is 100% bumper covers. Looks like interior hardpoints didn't move.
They do have to be separate for the *insert favourite put down here* that drive around in the UK with their fog lights on at all time. It’s how you can identify the people that will be driving too fast, tail gate you and cut you up.

• Funny
Reactions: jeremymc7
Whatever, not having stalks is pretty close to a deal breaker for me - can anyone here say they have had a failure there? Probs not. But worse is no fog lights; half my weather here in marine fog.
There are several reports fog lights are integrated into the head light module on the Highland.

And not having stalks shouldn't be an issue, with the possible exception of turn signals, and then only when the wheel is not centered. Shifting with stalks has been eliminated from most cars for decades. Most cars lights are left on auto these days. Cruise control has been on the wheel of most cars for more than 10 years. But I know some people are change averse, without trying anything new.
The fog lamps are also now part of the headlight assembly. On the older model, they are located on the front bumper on either side of the grill/vent.

Highland, if it comes to the USA as-is, adds new bumper brake and tail lights because that's the law; lights visible even if trunk open. So that savings is false, I believe the real reason outside of styling is that it's harder to misalign 1 lamp per side vs two.

Reduction in parts saves $ is the real reason but a lot of that is rationalizing; people would pay for fog lights etc if allowed
I don't believe that any of these changes are merely cost reduction - manufacturing simplification is the meme and that brings cost reductions that are intrinsic, but if the lost functionality generates a whole lot of negative Flack from users and buyers then the functionality would get put back in, in some fashion.

As somebody once said, the factory and the assembly process is the real product. Tesla is going to keep bringing costs down by the simplification and streamlining and integration and just general revolution in how cars are manufactured. This gives them the ability to create a better car for less money and a larger addressable market. It's all about that LAM frankly.

The other problem with all the people whining about things they don't like is see if you can find an overall better car for the money. Love to know what you find as a better alternative. Only BYD is even in the same universe these days, all the Legacy auto manufacturers clearly can't keep up and are all headed for bankruptcy. Even Toyota, depending on how much they buy into their own hydrogen bs. It's possible that a few Legacy automackers will succeed in getting bailed out and then will exist nibbling at the margins of the Chinese and Tesla. So if you buy a car from one of those outfits you are gambling that they will still be around in 5 years.

Last edited:
I don't believe that any of these changes are merely cost reduction - manufacturing simplification is the meme and if that brings cost reductions great and if the Lost functionality generates a whole lot of negative Flack from users and buyers then the functionality would get put back in, in some fashion. As somebody once said, the factory and the assembly process is the real product. Tesla is going to keep bringing costs down by the simplification and streamlining and integration and just general revolution in how cars are manufactured. This gives them the ability to create a better car for less money and a larger addressable market. It's all about that LAM frankly. The other problem with all the people whining about things they don't like is see if you can find an overall better car for the money. Love to know what you find as a better alternative. Only BYD is even in the same universe these days, all the Legacy auto manufacturers clearly can't keep up and are all headed for bankruptcy. Even Toyota, depending on how much they buy into their own hydrogen bs. It's possible that a few Legacy automackers will succeed in getting bailed out and then will exist nibbling at the margins of the Chinese and Tesla. So if you buy a car from one of those outfits you are gambling that they will still be around in 5 years.
Toyota’s big play is hoping to be one of the first with a solid state battery. That could give them a massive boost if they pull it off, too early to write these companies off but yes it’s not looking great at the moment.

Your prediction that legacy auto won’t be around in 5 years is highly off though, they’ll be fine for a good while yet as still a massive market for ICE cars also.

Reactions: E90alex
Toyota’s big play is hoping to be one of the first with a solid state battery. That could give them a massive boost if they pull it off, too early to write these companies off but yes it’s not looking great at the moment.

Your prediction that legacy auto won’t be around in 5 years is highly off though, they’ll be fine for a good while yet as still a massive market for ICE cars also.
Please define what you mean for a good while? And please where is the evidence that Toyota actually has anything like a solid state battery that's ready for production? They've only been making this claim for a decade? Worldwide penetration of electric vehicles sales is set to hit the 50% point by 2026. That will vary from region to region with China earlier than that, Europe about that and the US later than that. That does not give anybody a whole lot of time to make profit off of ice vehicles. Not only that but the Legacy automakers mostly seem to be determined to cash out now and screw themselves in terms of being able to compete in a few years. If you're skeptical please see this amazing deep dive on how Financial incentives have helped Executives at GM sink the company by connect the dots here:

So actually there's no evidence that Legacy auto particularly General Motors but also Ford, possibly VW, and a whole lot of other people are going to be around that much longer. VW is trying the hardest to pivot but they also have massive debt and their technology is really far behind, and they've struggled massively to create decent software. So there's no basis for your great confidence about Legacy auto surviving. Hope you don't own stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle and Yelobird
The other problem with all the people whining about things they don't like is see if you can find an overall better car for the

I do not believe I am whining nor are others which feel like the newer car has deficiencies for not very good reasons; that characterization is not productive nor accurate and doesn't help your argument in my view

money. Love to know what you find as a better alternative.
Since it is a very subjective call I won't bother you further with my preferences

Not so much a dealer breaker for myself, but not my preference. I would pay extra fir stalks. I'm sure I'll get used to it after a few weeks.

I would prefer to keep the fogs as well but I only need them a handful of times a year. That said they're super helpful when I do.
Yep everyone has their own needs and preferences.. I for one am glad the super charger network is (slowly) opening to others as it remains a big obstacle for a more car-to-car comparison - curious to see what if any impact that will have on Tesla products going forward.

Lucky for me, my 2018 Model 3 is with built in homelink, fog lights, real stalks :) etc is still useful.

Reactions: smogne41
I do not believe I am whining nor are others which feel like the newer car has deficiencies for not very good reasons; that characterization is not productive nor accurate and doesn't help your argument in my view

Since it is a very subjective call I won't bother you further with my preferences
I get the dislike of lack of stalks. I don't like the idea either so again it's not that I'm not sympathetic it's simply that you may have to put up with futurism to get the best design in other areas. Elon is a futurist if nothing else. Also there are already aftermarket Solutions to this that are apparently months from being released by a couple of Tesla accessorizer groups. If this is a deal breaker I would hold off and wait until you get a chance to try one of those aftermarket products.

As for choices being subjective I suppose that's always true, but that subjectivity comes from weighting various features and pros and cons. We all have different weights that we place on different pros and cons so it's a different result but using similar calculus. In any case if you like range, economy of operation, great software, the only real charging infrastructure that works, and an operating system that will continually get better, along with generally speaking the best performance at that price point, I'd stick with Tesla. If you're planning on taking road trips in something other than a car that can use the Tesla charging network, please don't subject yourself to that experience anytime soon.

If you actually try out the new features and don't like them, that's one thing. But there are a lot of people here who decide they don't like a change without ever giving it a chance. There are always milllions of people online who criticize things they don't know about...

You actually nailed the reason Tesla is making these changes (below), to bring down production costs to permit lower prices. Early adopters, like most people who endlessly complain here, aren't going to continue growth forever, many are already in EVs. They have the money for more features, the LAM does not. Unless Tesla and others can make more affordable EVs, the migration from ICE to EV stalls - we're probably starting to see that now. It's not rocket surgery why Tesla continues to drive down costs and prices - it's been their stated mission from the start.
As somebody once said, the factory and the assembly process is the real product. Tesla is going to keep bringing costs down by the simplification and streamlining and integration and just general revolution in how cars are manufactured. This gives them the ability to create a better car for less money and a larger addressable market. It's all about that LAM frankly.

Reactions: dfwatt
Making the cars weirder, less easy to use, less familiar, and having less features in general does not sound like a wining stratigy to bring in the non-early adopter crowd. Lower prices help, but the stalk removal is not saving more than $100 max. This is not the place to be removing things and turning people off. If anything, they desperately need BETTER stalks, with things like a wiper speed twist-control. That is what real product improvements look like, not this touch control wheel buttons garbage.

Also, how to you propose somebody 'try out' the stalkless design? Just put down $35-60k and hope for the best? All the Tesla Stans say you have to give it a few weeks to get used to it, then you will 'love' it. Sorry, in no universe are most people going to do that if they have any strong aversion to it already. The only people who will already know their brain will convince them they like it, even if it objectively sucks.