Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse made my car go forward...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys, new tesla owner here. I was in park and as soon as I changed to reverse my car went forward almost hitting the wall. I had to go back to park and reverse 2 times before it worked how I was expecting it too(roll back). Has anyone experienced this in their car? I read a few cars have gone through this and supposedly this is normal. Any recommendations to avoid crashing?

Have had 3 for a month
Yesterday coming out of a cafe, R, would push forward, not roll, shut down the car, no change on restart, there was no slope.

Stepped out, used Summon to reverse out of the parking spot! (Video later, on my daughter phone)

Was skeptical parking the car after this, tried R again and this time it worked

Reactions: Maaz
I didn’t believe this at first as well, but my wife just showed me a recording of her trying to leave a parking spot. She shifts from park to reverse, and with creep off she pressed the accelerator to go backwards and instead the car moves forward, not parked on an incline or decline either. It usually takes a couple shifts from reverse to drive, to park to reverse again to get the car moving backwards. It’s happened 2 times within a week now.

I have had this happen a few times and its scarry.......
I am terrified of the reverse gear causing the Tesla to move forward and hitting the anoither car in the parking lot. Not sure how to handle this.

So are you saying the car is in reverse, “R” displayed on screen and the backup camera is displayed you then press the accelerator the car goes forward instead off backwards?

Assuming you Creep Mode set to OFF, I think the likely explanation for what you describe is that the Tesla drivetrain does not behave the same way an ICE car transmission does and your car moved forward because it was on a slope but you weren’t aware of it. Let me explain:

In a Tesla, when you go from Park to Reverse or Drive, with Creep Mode OFF, if your foot is not on the brake and you are not applying sufficient pressure to the accelerator pedal to cause the car to move the car will behave as if it is in neutral. That means that if the road (or your driveway) has enough slope the car will start to roll.

If Creep Mode is set to ON in that scenario the car will move backwards unless the slope is to much for the car to overcome with no pressure on the accelerator pedal.

I am willing to bet that when you went from park to reverse your foot was not on the brake (which is not safe driving practice) and you were not applying pressure to the accelerator AND you were not on level ground.

So far you have not told us if Creep was on or off at the time of the incident you describe nor have you told us if you were on level ground or on a slope.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to have your foot on the brake in order to shift from park to reverse.

When in Park all you have to do is lift the stalk up to put the car in Reverse.
Some People look at the screen PRND and think that when in park they need to push the stalk down one notch to put it in Reverse.
It is not like the mechanical systems in an ICE car. Tesla has a nice video on their web site that demonstrates it.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
I specifically use CREEP mode to get into and out of the garage.
If for some reason the car was not in reverse you would know without hitting the accelerator pedal.
Tesla's have great acceleration. With great power you need good judgement and care.
The video above needs to be viewed by all new Tesla owners. It is an easy mistake to make.
Make sure the R is lit up when you want to go in Reverse.
Move stalk UP for reverse. Move stalk down for DRIVE.
PRND maybe RPND

Last edited:
I have had this happen a few times and its scarry.......
I am terrified of the reverse gear causing the Tesla to move forward and hitting the anoither car in the parking lot. Not sure how to handle this.

With creep mode turned off, the car will roll if the brakes are not engaged. If you're in reverse and the car is pointed down hill, it will roll forward until you either press the brake or the accelerator. If you are in drive and the car is pointed up hill, it will roll backward until you either press the brake or the accelerator.

Practice engaging the brake HOLD mode. With your foot on the brake, put the car in drive. Press the brake a little harder and you'll see (H) show up where the speed is normally displayed. With (H) displayed, the car will hold the brakes until you press the accelerator. If you're rolling in the opposite direction of the gear that's selected, pressing the accelerator will cause the car to move in the intended direction.

HOLD mode works similarly with creep mode turned on, but requires extra effort on the brake pedal to engage it.

I experienced something similar when I tried to set Creep to off. The car starts to roll even on a slightest incline. Also keep in mind that when you press accelerator there is a small buffer where it doesn’t engage (to accommodate resting foot I guess), so you may think you are pressing it, but in fact you don’t.

Anyway, I turned Creep back on. I don’t see any positives driving without creep mode and when it’s off it just adds more workload when maneuvering in tight spaces.

Reactions: mswlogo
It happened to me today. Came out from grocery store with my kids, I put in reverse, slightly hit "gas" pedal and my car went forward. I went back and forward between park and reverse try to backup multiple times, it did not work until I rebooted it the screen. It sure creeped hell out of me.

It happened to me today. Came out from grocery store with my kids, I put in reverse, slightly hit "gas" pedal and my car went forward. I went back and forward between park and reverse try to backup multiple times, it did not work until I rebooted it the screen. It sure creeped hell out of me.

That’s interesting. Drive functions are controlled by a separate computer, so I’m not sure how or why rebooting the touch screen would change anything.

And you just happened to know how to find this thread for your very first post here ever? Remarkable.

That’s interesting. Drive functions are controlled by a separate computer, so I’m not sure how or why rebooting the touch screen would change anything.

Also that.

Reactions: kavyboy
I'm tempted to call BS on this. I have yet to see a video of this problem. Not saying that it's not possible there's a bug but as it was said above, drive functions have nothing to do with a screen reboot. You can do that while driving too and the car will work just fine.