Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'miles/hr' charging speed is a useful metric if you're taking a road trip and want to estimate how much time you'll spend charging but as @jjrandorin states, it's dependent on efficiency and battery technology.

'miles/hour' is (kW) / kWh/mile

Where kW is EVSE charging power
kWh/mile is EPA combined city/highway energy consumption per mile from the meter

As you can see, zilch to do with battery technology

• Disagree
Reactions: MD048 and sleepydoc
How many amps are you charging at? We don't have a Model Y currently but according to the Wh/mile numbers that can be calculated from FuelEconomy.gov, it looks like the 2022 Model Y and 2022 Model S should be able to charge at about 41 miles/hour at 48 amps. The 2022 Model 3 should charge around 44 miles/hour. You can calculate these values by taking the volts * amps / Wh/mile. So 240 volts * 48 amps / 280 Wh/mile = 41.1 miles/hour.

Yup. The numbers are a bit off unless charging efficiency is accounted for. I estimate around 10% losses, so 48 Amps * 240 Volts is about (48 * 0.24 * 0.9) kW into the battery, equal to 10.37 kW

If Model Y on road consumption averages e.g. 250 Wh/mile, then miles/hour = 10.37*4 = 41.5

I think mine says 44 when it charges... I have a 60amp circuit (so 48amp charging). Ill check and reply back

I checked it today. My wifes model Y P gets up to 42"MPH" charge rate in the tesla app, when charging at 48amps (48/48). On my electrical at home, it runs a bit hot, so I am at like 243 or 244v, not 240.

Also of note, is I watched it when it ramped up, and when it hit 32/48, it said 30 MPH charge rate, so @glide perhaps you are charging with a tesla mobile connector, or some other connection where its set to 32amps?

I have wall connectors, and they are set for 60amp circuits as I mentioned.

Me too, assuming that they add enough charging to ensure Tesla owners are not shut out.

If they do that, then Tesla can become the Shell or Exxon/Mobile of "gas stations" for EVs. Making pennies per kWh but selling billions per month.
One things that’s holding me back from switching to another EV is the screwed up charging infrastructure.

This will take away the last constraint.

How many amps are you charging at? We don't have a Model Y currently but according to the Wh/mile numbers that can be calculated from FuelEconomy.gov, it looks like the 2022 Model Y and 2022 Model S should be able to charge at about 41 miles/hour at 48 amps. The 2022 Model 3 should charge around 44 miles/hour. You can calculate these values by taking the volts * amps / Wh/mile. So 240 volts * 48 amps / 280 Wh/mile = 41.1 miles/hour.

When we charge our 2022 Model S, we do see ~40 miles/hour at 48 amps. (The volts fluctuate a little.) Since the S has the same Wh/mile as the 2022 Model Y, they should both charge at the same rate.
My lifetime average is 268 Wh/mile:
48 amp * 220V = 10,560 W
10,560 W / 268 Wh/mile = 39.4 miles of charge per hour.

@Mike7564

Simple: the Rivian is significantly less efficient than the Model Y, and each kWh of energy will deliver fewer miles of range. For example, if you add 50 kWh in a charging session, the Model Y will take you 200 miles while the Rivian will only take you 100 miles (rough numbers - your mileage may vary).

This will impact your charging speed in terms of miles of range added per hour. This applies to both home and on the road. You’ll also be paying more to drive the Rivian the same distance, since it’s using twice as much energy. Road trip charging stops will take longer in the Rivian - maybe not twice as long, but close to it.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
FuelEconomy.gov Comparison of 2022 Model Y, Rivian, Model X and Model SMy lifetime average is 268 Wh/mile:
48 amp * 220V = 10,560 W
10,560 W / 268 Wh/mile = 39.4 miles of charge per hour.
The numbers I used weren't lifetime averages but numbers from FuelEconomy.gov which show the EPA Fuel Economy. I believe Tesla uses the fuel economy ratings when calculating "miles per hour" in the app.

The Model Y is very efficient at 280 Wh/mile whereas the Rivian R1t is very inefficient at 480 Wh/mile. By comparison, the 2022 Model 3 LR is 260 Wh/mile.

We've often been able to get much better than the listed ratings. When I used to commute to work, I would often average 150 Wh/mile in a 2017 Model S since I would only average about 45 mph. Now that I work from home, nearly all of my driving is highway miles at 70 mph or higher so my lifetime average is closer to 290 Wh/mile. Our Model X lifetime average is currently 301 Wh/mile, better than the rated 330 Wh/mile.

How fast you can charge the battery has everything to do with the battery technology.

Find me a car traction battery that cannot take 12 kW. There are EVs with OBC's that max out at less than 48 Amps, but that is not the battery. Even my olde 22 kWh LEAF pack with no thermal control could take around 44 kW, meaning about 2C

In this OP, both the cars being discussed have 48 Amp OBC. The difference in miles/hour is completely explained by the Wh/mile differences between the vehicles.

My lifetime average is 268 Wh/mile:
48 amp * 220V = 10,560 W

Your residential voltage is likely closer to 240V; and
Your 'lifetime average' if read from the car does not include charging losses of about 11%

So a better calc is (240*48*0.89)/268 = 38.25 miles/hour in your use case

Last edited:
I think Rivian makes cool vehicles, and I'm rooting for them to prosper, but I'd sure loose a lot more sleep over whether or not my $90k+ car's company will be around 5 years from now rather that sweat which one charges faster.

That being said, as long as you can provide a 50A or higher circuit at home for charging at night, I wouldn't worry about your vehicle being ready to go the next morning. CCS charging in the wild is a crap shoot regardless of what non-Tesla vehicle you have.
People could have said the same thing about Tesla a few years ago.

Reactions: MacO512

The One Electric Vehicle That Everyone Who Owns One Loves​

The automotive is in the midst of change, with electric cars now increasing in popularity and talks of gas-powered cars being banned by 2035. With their increasing popularity comes choice. Every major car brand is now bringing out versions of electric vehicles, much to consumers' delight. The days of Tesla being the conglomerate brand in this market is now long gone, and one car is wowing consumers more than any, the Rivian's R1T electric pickup (and R1S SUV).

R1S is less efficient. Never use miles/hr as that's a BS number that changes with the vehicle's efficiency

As for R1S... good luck getting one within a year. I've waited 16+ months and it won't arrive for another 6-9 months.
hey, at least it's on the horizon. I finally got a delivery date today....it just says "2024." I did get a demo ride a couple weeks ago. Order went in February 4th. On the plus side, the price is still great, the tax credit in theory is secured, and the charging picture may look a lot better by then, as well as Rivian's long term prospects.

Anyone that orders the base price model now will wait much longer, as the 2 motor version doesn't even exist yet to the best of my knowledge.

As for the charging rate. It's pretty simple. The Tesla has a 75 kWh battery, and the Rivian has a 135 kWh battery. Range is about the same. Aside from the poorer aerodynamics of the SUV face, the thing weighs nearly 3000 more pounds. Yet still matches or beats the YP for acceleration.

Reactions: MacO512