Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Tax for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't take long.
Mention of 4 cents per kilometre road tax for EVs in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning.
Victoria seems well on the way. I'm sure NSW will be right there as well.
No mention, of course, of people like me with their own PE cells being used to power our homes and car and the environmental benefits. Not to mention the cost of installing it all.
Could mean a large slug for some if paid yearly.

Didn't take long.
Mention of 4 cents per kilometre road tax for EVs in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning.
Victoria seems well on the way. I'm sure NSW will be right there as well.
No mention, of course, of people like me with their own PE cells being used to power our homes and car and the environmental benefits. Not to mention the cost of installing it all.
Could mean a large slug for some if paid yearly.

Here is the article.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...uel-excise-revenue-falls-20191120-p53cdj.html

Victoria aims to have this done by next year. Just another reason to have your vehicle registered in a *ahem* tax friendly state, as they can't keep you from driving interstate.

IMO trucks need to be charged, as they destroy roads the most.

They need to shore up declining revenue from ICE as well, since cars have become ever more efficient going more kms for less fuel.
Probably a per-km charge for everybody would be fairer, weighted (pardon the pun) towards heavier vehicles. But excise is federal, so transferring this over to the states is always going to be a minefield politically.

How do you measure everyone's kms? Or do you tax the electricity going in for EV's?

A 4c/km charge would make EV's a lot more expensive to run, especially if you run on solar, but they'd still be cheaper than ICE at present fuel costs (which will only go up over time much faster than inflation)

And how exactly do they plan to enforce this 4c/km charge?
Vehicle trackers? Cameras?

You cant tax electricity so good luck.

4c per kilometre is absolutely ridiculous.
If I drive 10,000km per year (like most people, some even more) that's a $400 EV charge.

"It would essentially involve the EV sending an odometer reading at the end of each month or quarter to a relevant authority for billing."
LOL, good luck with that.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the ways they could possibly actually do this and I came up blank..

"It would essentially involve the EV sending an odometer reading at the end of each month or quarter to a relevant authority for billing."
Yes, I used 5km this month. I did only a single Maccas run this month.

Then they thought maybe they can put a device in people's cars.

1) Good luck getting people to actually do that. They'll probably think its a microphone or something and spying on them. "Its the government spying on us! - Facebook Mum"
2) Unless they are connected by cellular to the 'relevant authority' then its going to have to connect to people's phones through an app, yeah good luck with that. "Sorry, my phones bluetooth isn't working at the moment"
3) It would probably be more expensive to connect them via cellular compared to the actual charge and have the appropriate systems to actually do it.
4) People could just leave them in their garage and occasionally take them on a drive.

Pretty much, every option is bad and has large amounts of holes in it.

I love regionally and work in Melbourne. We are approx 160km from the city. If I drive on a daily basis (I don’t) it’s roughly a 2 hour e/w commute but essentially costs me nothing because I drive an EV, charge on solar and have free parking.

Under this plan I have two options. If I continue driving I pay $7 e/w in the EV tax. Worked out annually on my commuting habits it’s around $1300. Obviously this is still better than paying for fuel but is a bit of a kick in the guts after recently joining the EV ranks.

If I was to drive to the nearest train station I would get charged the EV tax, pay for the train travel and add an extra 40 minutes to my commute because regional trains in Victoria are inefficient.

I love regionally and work in Melbourne. We are approx 160km from the city. If I drive on a daily basis (I don’t) it’s roughly a 2 hour e/w commute but essentially costs me nothing because I drive an EV, charge on solar and have free parking.

Under this plan I have two options. If I continue driving I pay $7 e/w in the EV tax. Worked out annually on my commuting habits it’s around $1300. Obviously this is still better than paying for fuel but is a bit of a kick in the guts after recently joining the EV ranks.

Don't you think all cars should contribute to the maintenance of our roads?
In theory, today all road maintenance funds comes from the fuel tax Sometime in the future, this tax will collect zero dollars.
What should the fuel tax be replaced with? (This could be a complicated formula covering CO2, vehicle weight, KM's driven, private vs business use, city vs regional use, and colour of car...)
How and when we transition to the replacement system in a fair way is the real question.
(With reporting/declaration/collection also being a challenge)

I don't see it picking on EV's in particularly, as long as all cars end up with the same tax system.

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Don't you think all cars should contribute to the maintenance of our roads?
In theory, today all road maintenance funds comes from the fuel tax Sometime in the future, this tax will collect zero dollars.
What should the fuel tax be replaced with? (This could be a complicated formula covering CO2, vehicle weight, KM's driven, private vs business use, city vs regional use, and colour of car...)
How and when we transition to the replacement system in a fair way is the real question.
(With reporting/declaration/collection also being a challenge)

I don't see it picking on EV's in particularly, as long as all cars end up with the same tax system.

I agree, I think it would be better to apply something to all cars, there are plenty of fuel efficient cars that would be exempt from this method and we need to be careful to not unduly tax people with old cars too quickly,

Maybe increase registration for everyone by $50 then add an extra $50 for every 20,000km per year? This could be multiplied by a weight factor to allow for the greater road damage from heavier vehicles like an extra 10% for every 2000kg of vehicle mass?

Super easy to do. Hint, just register in ACT. They don’t care and are where many Tesla’s are registered. Also no stamp duty for new electric vehicles.
It is easy, however if you don't have a legitimate ACT address where the car is garaged, you will have to lie to get it registered. If you can't show proof you will most likely be asked to sign a stat. dec.