Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Take 3 - yaaaaaaah - Melbourne to Darwin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's $3400 ~ $3600 range now. After delivery. I've seen 110 km/hr with dual chargers and before that 52 ~ 55 km/hr with 32A / 3ph using the UMC with a 32A tail. The higher rate of charge was with a good, stiff supply voltage of 245V.
The Tesla UMC only supports up to 16A 3 Phase. You will need a 3phase HPWC or a third party charger like the JuiceBox to get any faster than 55Kmr recharge rate.

Sorry, yes, quite right, I was not clear in that post. To achieve 110 km/hr I used a Maxicharger on 32A 3-phase which is what I (unclearly) referred to with the 110 km/hr bit. The dual chargers are need to achieve 110km/hr in that case though or you still get 55km/hr or so. The lower rate was with the UMC on a 245V supply.

Reactions: RichardMcN
I posted a link to this article on reddit, and got a reply: "drive from Darwin to Nhulunbuy in an electric vehicle and then I'll start to see them as viable."

Follow up on this. Someone else replied with the fact (unknown to me) that the road to Nhulunbuy is not general access and you actually need a permit (and probably a 4WD) before using it!

So there you go. Non-4WD vehicles can not travel this route and therefore are "not viable" :p