Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, remember when I said (in November):

EDITED
...we were at the Torrance Service Center today and there were 3 other Roadsters there and apparently a Grey and Black one there that just completed the 3.0 upgrade. I asked and they said it shows 350 Ideal miles... I couldn't verify myself as it was on the fenced area...

So, there's that.

That's what we've been waiting for, isn't it?
Roadster #1232 - First 3.0 for sale...ever?

Wow, installed in Nov, must have been one of the first ones.

Well, if you click on the ebay listing. Silver and Black, there's a letter from the Torrance Service Center about it and that's awfully close to Grey and Black...

Looks like the same one that I reported in November too.

It appears the November one in the eBay auction was sort of a test mule, he shows it was done for free in his paperwork. When are they announcing the Autopilot Roadster program? :tongue:

I'm curious if they'll ever get to the rest of the 3.0 stuff from the original announcement. But the battery is the best and most important part for sure.

It appears the November one in the eBay auction was sort of a test mule, he shows it was done for free in his paperwork. When are they announcing the Autopilot Roadster program? :tongue:

I'm curious if they'll ever get to the rest of the 3.0 stuff from the original announcement. But the battery is the best and most important part for sure.

Perhaps. But if it's a test, why would the new battery have "essentially zero miles on it", per the description? One would want to get out and do some testing, no? And why would they use a showroom princess car (<3k miles total)? And, most of all, why would a car with such little use need a new battery? Old one get bricked for lack of proper care? If so, would a warranty repair get written up as "goodwill"?

Just speculating, as per the time-honored tradition on this forum... :)

I think the owner bought this car and the battery replacement option as a long term investment and was hoping to see a mark up.

Are we sure this was done for free? The bottom line in section 4 of that invoice is cut off in the photo. If this was genuinely done for free that would cause a bit of a ruckus with some of the other necessary battery replacements we are aware of.

No one can predict who many years into the future Tesla will offer the 3.0 battery upgrade. I doubt even Tesla top management have made a decision already in regards to that timeline. And I doubt you will get a "consensus" opinion here at TMC, or anywhere.
My guess is that the 3.0 battery will be available for at least 2-3 years. That is a GUESS.

No one can predict who many years into the future Tesla will offer the 3.0 battery upgrade. I doubt even Tesla top management have made a decision already in regards to that timeline. And I doubt you will get a "consensus" opinion here at TMC, or anywhere.
My guess is that the 3.0 battery will be available for at least 2-3 years. That is a GUESS.

Given (yes?) that they aren't making any of the old battery anymore, the 3.0 battery will eventually be the only option for a replacement. I think the reverse question would be the one to worry about - if you were dead set on getting an original battery, those days will probably be the more limited.

Tesla needs to have a battery available to satisfy the Battery Replace Option (BRO) folks who have yet to exercise. In my case, I am required to exercise by Feb. 2021 (ten year mark) or I lose it.

Will that be this extended range battery? Don't know. But when I bought the BRO, part of my reasoning was that battery tech would improve and my odds were good that I would get a better battery than the current one. That's currently playing out (6K if I chose to upgrade), but don't know what that will mean in the future.

Just another data point. But personally, Smorgasbord, I think you're good as long as there are BROs in the pipeline.

Given (yes?) that they aren't making any of the old battery anymore, the 3.0 battery will eventually be the only option for a replacement. I think the reverse question would be the one to worry about - if you were dead set on getting an original battery, those days will probably be the more limited.
What will Tesla do with reclaimed batteries from those of us who upgrade? I assume they will recondition and supply to anyone who wants to replace and not upgrade.

What will Tesla do with reclaimed batteries from those of us who upgrade? I assume they will recondition and supply to anyone who wants to replace and not upgrade.

They probably will, for a time. But my thought is that these cells aren't getting any younger, and I believe they are no longer in production. So, it kind of depends on your time horizon. My own battery is ageing normally, with a bit over 30k miles on it. 100k miles is 7-10 years out, and I usually keep my cars for at least that long (the Roadster is replacing a '94 Integra with 265k on it). So I'm in Smorgasbord's position - good battery and no specific need for the added range, but mildly concerned about the best strategy for the longer term. To answer his question, my opinion is to not panic, and expect the 3.0 battery will be there when I need it. At least until 2021, plus warranty on those batteries (agreeing to Bonnie's point as a worst case).

They will not put those cells into another car. They have already said they're re-using the chassis and replacing the cells to make the 3.0 batteries. They may use those cells in Powerwalls or something but I doubt they'd even do that. The cells are simply getting too old calendar-wise to be confident in their behavior and those cells are no longer manufactured.

In fact I do not believe you can even get a "regular" battery any more.

I do believe they'll salvage the original good cells when people upgrade to the 3.0 pack. It doesn't matter if the cells are old, so are the ones in the cars. Tesla will keep the good live in old cells for some time, cold storage and 30-50% SOC. When a brick goes out in a sheet, the entire sheet can be replaced for a cost effective repair. Also note that the entire ESS will most likely be down in the 142-150CAC range.... And as we know, Tesla replaces like CAC/Health battery sheets that only match well with the aged pack's avg CAC. This will be the most inexpensive way that Tesla will keep customers happy who don't want to spend $29k for a pack, but rather $4-5k. This is the route I'll choose, if something catastrophic happens to a brick/sheet. My ESS won't get replaced until I don't have enough range for my daily commute, then I'll consider upgrading to the 3.0 when my cells have been to tired to meet my commuting needs.

Also keep in mind, some Roadster owners are trading in their current healthy 153-156 CAC range ESS's for the 3.0 pack, so that's a good supply of sheets that can be used to keep the older packs alive and well.

Last edited:
My ESS won't get replaced until I don't have enough range for my daily commute, then I'll consider upgrading to the 3.0 when my cells have been to tired to meet my commuting needs.

Sounds like a good plan--I think I will do the same. But my commute is 3 miles each way--so that will be a long time! And I tend to keep my cars a long time--several more than 20 years--so the Roadster should be a real collector's item by then! (And maybe me too!)

Another major disaster--I had to put my top up today! :tongue:

My own battery is ageing normally, with a bit over 30k miles on it. 100k miles is 7-10 years out, and I usually keep my cars for at least that long

Remember that lithium-ion batteries have a calendar lifetime as well as a charging cycle lifetime. In order to get 100K miles out of the battery you have to drive enough miles each year to reach 100K within the calendar lifetime, which was figured as 7 years (hence that timing in the battery replacement option).

Remember that lithium-ion batteries have a calendar lifetime as well as a charging cycle lifetime. In order to get 100K miles out of the battery you have to drive enough miles each year to reach 100K within the calendar lifetime, which was figured as 7 years (hence that timing in the battery replacement option).

I wonder how accurate that really is, however. Many of the older Roadsters are at 7 years now, and mine is at 100K miles and 6.5 years. I have about 87% of the original capacity. I suppose there could be a rapid decline over the next six month, but that would be pretty uncharacteristic for the car so far. I suspect that the 7 year number will turn out to be conservative just like the 100K one was.