Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Round Australia List! (put your name down if keen / serious)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume this list maintained by TOCWA is now missing lots of around Australia trips in an EV… a growing number of people wouldn’t even know about this list and report their trip. Surely way more than 31 people have done it by now 🤔

I assume this list maintained by TOCWA is now missing lots of around Australia trips in an EV… a growing number of people wouldn’t even know about this list and report their trip. Surely way more than 31 people have done it by now 🤔

So far we’ve been very lucky with people self reporting an around Australia trip or another EV owner spotting the trip on Plugshare, social media or YouTube and passing on the info. I think winter 2024 is the year that the list will lose accuracy As a lot more fast charging will be in place across the top so many more will make the journey.

So far we’ve been very lucky with people self reporting an around Australia trip or another EV owner spotting the trip on Plugshare, social media or YouTube and passing on the info. I think winter 2024 is the year that the list will lose accuracy As a lot more fast charging will be in place across the top so many more will make the journey.
Will the list be officially retired once you can do the whole trip on DC fast chargers? I guess it could switch to maintaining lap records (and setting ground rules! A record run should have go through eg. Walpole in the south-west, Eden in the south-east etc).

Reactions: Vostok
It’s interesting to contemplate what the “final frontier“ might be for a BEV drive in Australia. I reckon Cape York would be the hardest to ever do in an EV.

Visiting the “corners” would be up there too. I don’t think an EV has ever made it to Cameron Corner, let alone Haddon Corner, Poeppel Corner or Surveyor Generals Corner, all of which would all be extremely challenging in a BEV.

It’s interesting to contemplate what the “final frontier“ might be for a BEV drive in Australia. I reckon Cape York would be the hardest to ever do in an EV.

Visiting the “corners” would be up there too. I don’t think an EV has ever made it to Cameron Corner, let alone Haddon Corner, Poeppel Corner or Surveyor Generals Corner, all of which would all be extremely challenging in a BEV.
Someone once told me EVs were useless because you couldn't drive to Nhulunbuy/Gove. I looked it up and it's a limited access 4WD only road which is sometimes flooded for months at a time. So Corollas and Camrys are equally useless.

Was also a comment on one of the recent articles that the current laps are taking a Townsville to Cloncurry shortcut, rather than continuing up to Cairns and across to Normanton on the Gulf Developmental Road, which is part of Highway 1 in Qld, but not part of the National Highway Network.

Would also be extremely tough in an EV based on Plugshare entries.

Reactions: johnchidgey