Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor summary: Blind-spot cameras, Rain sensing, Level 3, Big battery, Interior/HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The selfie camera label on that board is less interesting to me than the super nintendo controller.

The point isn't the label, though, but its existence on the APE board - hence it could exist on a Model S/X prior to a CDI (to MCU?) revamp? Or perhaps the port already exists on the production AP 2.5 APE board as we speak on Model S/X and only lacks the camera?

Though I would agree it may be more likely to appear on Model S/X with the rumored dash/interior facelift only, than before that. Perhaps any functionality it relies on needs the second generation "big screen".

Good luck everyone with access to such hardware/sources, we look forward to your findings over time!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
A couple of noteworthy quotes, one new, one older:

From what I hear the screen will be portrait oriented and curved like the new roadster. Don’t know yet about a display for the driver or a HUD

I have no visibility into battery and interior/hud (though I know there is internal hud project, but no idea of the status).

This is of course how the Roadster curving screen looks like - the minimal IC cluster could benefit from a HUD of course... ;)

red-multi-coat-tesla-roadster-unveiling-interior-3.jpg

Also I think new seats are coming, a new panoramic sunroof, plus new interior colors and/or materials options.

On the electrical side, I'm still not convinced they'll throw in HUD, but it *must* be true that they're launching a completely new MCU. The prototype Roadster 2020 display seems likely when you mention it. I just hope it's bigger :)

As for those itsy bitsy dashboard displays... Not a fan tbh

@lunitiks What if the itsy-bitsy Roadster instrument cluster is there to simulate the HUD - or act as a small secondary screen when the HUD is off. It would make much more sense that way, because it isn't big enough for much of Tesla's normal information - and the center screen is not positioned to be anywhere near in the driver's field of vision on the Roadster like on Model 3...

I don't know if the HUD makes it, but to me the idea that Model S/X/Roadster would come with low flat dashboards with the sliver vent and fitting this, a suitable a vertical center screen and possibly a tiny IC in the former, and Model 3 with a horizontal big screen only (that acts as an sort of IC), actually support the HUD idea.

Such a low, wide, sliver-vented dash setup would serve like a perfect complement to a HUD that would provide for the rest of the IC information. A big dash screen for IC would not fit this design idea as well, but a HUD certainly would.

@lunitiks What if the itsy-bitsy Roadster instrument cluster is there to simulate the HUD - or act as a small secondary screen when the HUD is off. It would make much more sense that way, because it isn't big enough for much of Tesla's normal information - and the center screen is not positioned to be anywhere near in the driver's field of vision on the Roadster like on Model 3...

I don't know if the HUD makes it, but to me the idea that Model S/X/Roadster would come with low flat dashboards with the sliver vent and fitting this, a suitable a vertical center screen and possibly a tiny IC in the former, and Model 3 with a horizontal big screen only (that acts as an sort of IC), actually support the HUD idea.

Such a low, wide, sliver-vented dash setup would serve like a perfect complement to a HUD that would provide for the rest of the IC information. A big dash screen for IC would not fit this design idea as well, but a HUD certainly would.
True, an MCU like current S/X, or worse, the tilted Roadster 2020 version, would not be OK as the only driver display. So *something* would have to replace the binnacle. I just hope it won’t be those itsy bitsy

I got 18.2 from a friend and it references new headrests: Kongsberg, also a combination of left Futuris, right Kongsberg and the other way around. Note that Futuris group bought Kongsberg recently and this might be why.

Additionally there are some changes in the blind spot detection code which sounds like something they are actively working on again. Whoever gets the 18.5 first, don't forget to give me a copy too! ;)

How do you know that the next version is 18.5? (Given that most builds have been even numbers.)
Well, Week 4 ended today and nothing, typically they were releasing stuff right after building, so that leaves next week (week 5) for the release.

Of course they can release 18.4 too, just a week late (like what apparently happened with 18.2 as well), but that would be somewhat rare unless they suddenly introduced a mandatory testing period of a few days long.

Also last year there was a 17.5 release (but then again hey were doing weekly releases back then).

I got 18.2 from a friend and it references new headrests: Kongsberg, also a combination of left Futuris, right Kongsberg and the other way around. Note that Futuris group bought Kongsberg recently and this might be why.

Additionally there are some changes in the blind spot detection code which sounds like something they are actively working on again. Whoever gets the 18.5 first, don't forget to give me a copy too! ;)
We’ve missed you! Always glad to hear about what’s changed in these firmware updates.

Mega thanks for the insight @verygreen!

I wonder if they are going for a 4 way adjustable headrests? Perhaps an improvement for the front seats meant to coincide with the now possibly postponed interior refresh? After all, they did move the adjustment of the headrests to the seat's four-way controller...

Tesla being Tesla - not afraid of piecemeal changes - they could still release the headrests separately of course. Maybe some cars will start shipping with them now/soon?

4 way adjustable head restraint provides for a head restraint that meets all safety standards while at the same time allows for comfort adjustment by the occupant. Safety and comfort don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

Front Seat Head Restraints

Same here. If a 130kwh-battery came out I would order a replacement for my P85D instantly*. Will be looking to replace it early 2019, and a bigger battery is the main wish on my list. Most likely switching to a Model X if the battery is big enough.

*assuming the price doesnt skyrocket.

Haven't done the math, but guessing that a 100kWh battery with a M3 drivetrain would likely give the same range as a 130kWh battery with a MS (non-P) drivetrain.

One other thought. Who's to say that the next version of the MS will only be a facelift? We know that the platform is getting old (compared to the cab-forward, high steel content M3), and that it was never really designed for high volume manufacture. Shouldn't the next MS share more in common with Roadster 2020 than MS 2012?