Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can select the correct gear by swiping the sidebar that appears on the screen or you can use the backup system on the centre console. It just gives you a nice arm workout!

The obvious issue tryign to imagine that - is if you’re doing a three point turn or simply adjusting to fit as you reverse into a space - is that you have to look what you’re doing. With a stalk you can have a finger on the stalk and switch modes wtihout turning your head, focusing on what you’re doing. It‘ll slow things down potentially quite a lot

The obvious issue tryign to imagine that - is if you’re doing a three point turn or simply adjusting to fit as you reverse into a space - is that you have to look what you’re doing. With a stalk you can have a finger on the stalk and switch modes wtihout turning your head, focusing on what you’re doing. It‘ll slow things down potentially quite a lot

Yeah, there's a reason why almost every car made has had dedicated controls for gear/direction and turn-signal. These are fundamental use cases that need to be done via touch alone while eyes are on the activity in progress

Reactions: KJD and Mrklaw
Obvious? Almost no ICE vehicles use stalks for gear selectors, the shifter is on the console, and most people look down with each shift. Many now have push button gear selectors now, and you definitely look down for those. Furthermore, most people don‘t do K turns often, and never in traffic where time is a big factor. Same with reversing into a space, time isn’t always and issue and most people who frequently reverse in are adept enough to get it in one shot…

I don’t know what the consensus is, but I do know there are Tesla owners who adjusted quickly and discovered advantages going stalkless - some/many who had reservations before giving stalkless a try. Frankly I’m not sure which is better.

This whole zero stalk design is an idea born of madness. What problem are they trying to solve? Imagine a world where cars had no stalks and then someone invented the concept - we’d all be wanting it because of the massive usability improvements it would bring - and for very little cost.

Tesla is hell bent on eliminating non-essential parts, reducing complexity. Alas i this case they've gone into the weeds with that concept.

Reactions: kavyboy and KJD
most people look down with each shift.
Very much a "citation needed" here. Most beginners maybe, I don't remember looking that much, if at all, when I was driving ICE cars.
Also, one benefit of a physical shifter is that it stays in the same place permanently so you can build muscle memory. Knowing Tesla, they'll almost certainly change the shift selector location and/or functionality in some upcoming software update, thus ensuring you're in a permanent state of unease.

I really don't know what they're playing at and what they intend to gain by it but, just like that aberration that is the yoke steering wheel, I hope new cars will at least have the option of being fitted with stalks at the time of order (I'd be happy to pay the £5 extra cost for them).

Very much a "citation needed" here. Most beginners maybe, I don't remember looking that much, if at all, when I was driving ICE cars.
Also, one benefit of a physical shifter is that it stays in the same place permanently so you can build muscle memory. Knowing Tesla, they'll almost certainly change the shift selector location and/or functionality in some upcoming software update, thus ensuring you're in a permanent state of unease.

I really don't know what they're playing at and what they intend to gain by it but, just like that aberration that is the yoke steering wheel, I hope new cars will at least have the option of being fitted with stalks at the time of order (I'd be happy to pay the £5 extra cost for them).
You are comparing ICE with a gear stick, which you use frequently during a drive with Tesla where you only change "gear" st the start and end of a drive.

Reactions: ACarneiro
You are comparing ICE with a gear stick, which you use frequently during a drive with Tesla where you only change "gear" st the start and end of a drive.
Yes, fair comment, although maybe more similar in ICEs with an automatic transmission.

Quite a few more changes during parking and manoeuvring, though, which is arguably a time when’s it’s even more important to not be distracted with a gear selector.

Reactions: Wol747
The removal of the indicator stalk bothers me far more than the loss of the gear selector stalk. Many non-full manual transmission cars have button activated gear selectors or dials and I don't hear complaints. The car brands without a stalk or traditional gear stick is too long to list but does include Aston Martin and Land Rover, from personal experience. There are many many others.

Reactions: Mrklaw
The removal of the indicator stalk bothers me far more than the loss of the gear selector stalk. Many non-full manual transmission cars have button activated gear selectors or dials and I don't hear complaints. The car brands without a stalk or traditional gear stick is too long to list but does include Aston Martin and Land Rover, from personal experience. There are many many others.
Very true. They’re all physical devices, though, aren’t they?
Replacing the physical stalk with a screen selector hasn’t really been an unmitigated success for the wiper controls, hence my reluctance to accept the same for the indicators and gear selector.

Very true. They’re all physical devices, though, aren’t they?
Replacing the physical stalk with a screen selector hasn’t really been an unmitigated success for the wiper controls, hence my reluctance to accept the same for the indicators and gear selector.
There are also buttons on the console, at least on the Models S and X. And the swipe up or down on the screen for this looks pretty intuitive. Don't misunderstand me, I like the stalk and would prefer it, but think I would quickly adapt to this. The indicator stalk removal, on the other hand, could be a show-stopper for me (and definitely for my better half).

Reactions: roadcred
To be fair Land Rover have moved away from their circular gear selector to a more traditional automatic transmission of moving a short stubby stick forwards and backwards. I thought the circle looked pretty cool and popped out of the console but maybe that's cost saving or maybe people just prefer the stick approach to picking gears.

As others say I'm not so worried about swiping to gear selection but the indicators will be a proper pain. Also enabling autosteer for instance was just nicer on a stalk I think than it'll be pushing one of the scroll wheels. It's a case of trying to cram too much into too few physical buttons.

And the swipe up or down on the screen for this looks pretty intuitive

Bjorn said he thought it was upside down. I think its Down=Drive on the stalk but the Screen Swipe is Up=Drive

I like being able to throw the car from Drive-to-Reverse at low speeds, and vice versa, and using accelerator pedal for "reverse thrust" / motion when doing an N-point turn. Not sure I would find that as easy having to reach for Screen Swipe.

Reactions: roadcred
Taking one small part of my reply misrepresents my point, but you could grasp that if you wanted to...