Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumour: Model 3/Y to lose stalks in 2023 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard the drive by wire will allow the front wheels to point directly backwards so then the aero covers act as propellors in a new submarine mode. I know this is true as Elon tweeted about it specifically

well I hope they remember to seal up the drain holes in the under boot storage. Turns out they work both ways if you drive though water 18" deep

Steer by wire isn't explicitly forbidden but it's hard to make work since the test for compliance the car must be able to do multiple figures of 8 after total electrical failure. I believe some manufacturers have even done it..

I'm not convinced Tesla would go to the effort.. if the US regulations are slacker they may just do it there.
Technically Tesla already has steer by wire. When you engage autopilot the car is steering by wire. The problem is the direct mechanical connection from the wheels to the steering wheel. Because the wheel angle is mechanically directly connected to the steering wheel you can't have variable steering ratios.

In order to make a yoke more usable it is mandatory to have variable ratio steering so you aren't doing the awkward hand over hand turning of a yoke that is so simple on a round wheel. A rather simple task for Tesla to accomplish. The regulators are a whole different story.

Technically Tesla already has steer by wire. When you engage autopilot the car is steering by wire. The problem is the direct mechanical connection from the wheels to the steering wheel. Because the wheel angle is mechanically directly connected to the steering wheel you can't have variable steering ratios.

In order to make a yoke more usable it is mandatory to have variable ratio steering so you aren't doing the awkward hand over hand turning of a yoke that is so simple on a round wheel. A rather simple task for Tesla to accomplish. The regulators are a whole different story.
Or we could just ditch the yoke and keep the foolproof mechanical backup. But that is just crazy talk I guess.

• Funny
Reactions: electricar

By that logic most cars with lane keeping assist are steer by wire.

I'm curious about removing stalks which really feels like penny pinching with very little ROI but potentially high satisfaction impact (negatively).
If you talk with actual owners of Model S/X you may find some who prefer stalkless. The only two refresh S/X owners I know personally actually like it a lot. I love how people assume they know without zero hands on experience. But I am sure you'll disagree...

The Model X owner I know just went on a long trip, rented a Model Y, and found stalks to be a PITA now that she is used to stalkless.

If you talk with actual owners of Model S/X you may find some who prefer stalkless. The only two refresh S/X owners I know personally actually like it a lot. I love how people assume they know without zero hands on experience. But I am sure you'll disagree...

The Model X owner I know just went on a long trip, rented a Model Y, and found stalks to be a PITA now that she is used to stalkless.

of course I’m assuming and that may come across as being an old person not wanting change. I’m open to try, but I’m surrpised there aren’t more cars that put indicators on the wheel face to save 50c per car if it was better. I do find it difficult to understand how it might be better but lets see. Indicator stalk is just such a classic blind control both to find and know what direction to push.

Reactions: GlynG and Wol747

1) Everybody who bought a refreshed S/X knew ahead of time what they were getting into. Almost everybody who suspected they would not like it DID NOT BUY one. So huge filter there.

2) Your brain will convince you you like something and that it is good even if it objectively sucks if you happen to have just spent a crap-tone of money (or time, or effort, etc) on it. Or if it is just from a brand you are loyal to for whatever reason.

1) Everybody who bought a refreshed S/X knew ahead of time what they were getting into. Almost everybody who suspected they would not like it DID NOT BUY one. So huge filter there.

2) Your brain will convince you you like something and that it is good even if it objectively sucks if you happen to have just spent a crap-tone of money (or time, or effort, etc) on it. Or if it is just from a brand you are loyal to for whatever reason.
You could say that about anything, all that matters is if something a) sells b) is enjoyed by those that buy it.

For example it's clear that MSM is the best colour, but some people convince themselves they like red more, deluded fools.

• Funny
Reactions: smogne41
You don't need steer by wire for variable ratio steering. BMW, Honda, Toyota etc all have had these systems since 2000 onwards. But they are complex, not the Tesla way. Tesla want steering by wire to remove components from the vehicle, to make it cheaper and easier to build, not to enhance the driving experience.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
I heard the drive by wire will allow the front wheels to point directly backwards so then the aero covers act as propellors in a new submarine mode. I know this is true as Elon tweeted about it specifically

I was speaking to a person in the know today, cannot let you know my sources of course but apparently they are also going to fit the car with the unbreakable glass of the CyberTruck. Along with the megacasting and structural battery this will allow it to go to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. The EPA rating will be over 700 nautical miles.

Of course if this doesn't happen in 2024, I'm still right but it's just Elon Musk kind of late.

• Funny
Reactions: Zilla91
I've read all the teslascope tweets and I'm none the wiser personally. I think the only thing you can conclude is that there's a update coming at some point in the next year. I'm not surprised there is little concrete detail personally, and while it's 10 mins of my life I'll not get back, there are elements which are credible even if not transformational.

What's not been said by them that I've seen, so I will start the rumour, is that the Model Y will follow 1 year behind. The Model X update came almost exactly a year after the Model S and I don't think they will be able to afford to delay the Model Y too long, especially if the Model 3 is significantly improved, the logic being that will hurt Model Y sales. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Model Y demand in the US when the CT comes along.

As a 4 year owner of a model 3 LR with 80K miles the highland refresh sounds interesting if even half of the rumours are true.
  • The CATL M3P battery seems a certainty (CATL seem to have built a new battery factory to produce these a few miles from the shanghai battery), which seems to be good for a 10% range increase and able to charge to 100% (derivative of the LFP chemistry with higher energy density).
  • I'm all for a stiffer car with front and rear castings (mine has none)
  • Matrix headlights finally ?
  • Suspension that can handle off camber corners without having a nervous breakdown
  • And if they get rid of the performance version and replace it with a 750bhp carbon sleeved motor plaid version with model s like 'track pack' with carbon ceramic brakes I'll be a happy bunny
  • Variable Ratio steer by wire ? I'd be surprised but throw in some rear wheel steer to get around corners better I'd give it a try
As I find the Model Y too high and dumpy, a refreshed sharper/sportier model 3 saloon would be right up my street before I hit 100K on mine

Reactions: Durzel
If it’s not broken, don’t try and fix it!
1. Three point turns
2. Roundabouts
3. Parallel Parking
4. Setting cruise control on motorways
5. 'Auto' wipers that don't work reliably...

My top 5 reasons why I can't buy a facelifted M3 Highlander with no 'stalks'. These are insurmountable problems that can't be fixed with a software update, so my M3 will be going in December and won't be replaced.

I once had a Jaguar XF - that car had the flappy paddles that turned with the steering wheel - and whilst turning I found it downright difficult to identify which lever to pull when in manual mode - I used to have to think by picturing the wheel and sort of turning my head a bit and work out just which lever I needed - and by the time I had done that the manoeuvre had been completed - so the drive in manual mode around towns wasn't a particularly great experience - so I just left it in auto mode - So, To have a haptic button for something important like the Indicators just isn't something I'm even going to try because I wont buy one.
I think the aftermarket people will have a field day with it though because they will have their offerings of stalks ready for launch date - straight swap out of column shroud, plug and play or Bluetooth and I personally think just about everyone will buy it after experiencing the stupid haptic buttons.

Most of the changes with the new car are OK but some bits I really don't like and of course the indicators are one, The design less MFI door cards are another and I detest that new rear seat centre armrest POS.

I'm not in the market for a new car as my 2020 M3P is just perfect apart from Tesla breaking my Summon function, So I'm easily pleased - Just fix Summon, fix my wipers, give me the option to unlink Wipers and AHB from auto pilot and switch me off from any further updates - so Tesla cant break my car again.

Reactions: Wol747 and smogne41