Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the reliance on history when you are looking for how this (the Ukraine conflict) might end but should we not be looking towards moving away from violence re-defining boarders as opposed to accepting that might makes right given our collective history?

It's like saying the US used nukes so there is precedence for our using nukes. In one respect, it is an accurate statement. In another, it is completely nuts.

I spend a lot of time talking with those that do not share my beliefs. I do it in part to better understand how others around me can not see simple plain reality (or to understand why I have such a delusional understanding of my environment) and the other is to tempt them into thought exercises that challenge their views/positions with respect to reality. It's frustrating but feels necessary.

With the above in mind, Russia using a nuke followed by the West working collectively using conventional forces to eradicate Russian forces from the Black Sea and Ukrainian territory seems like a terrible, horrible, awful but correct response. Using a nuke will accelerate your loosing the battle in Ukraine. We will not respond with nukes as they are simply off the table. Find another way out.

The alternative are concessions for threatening the use of nukes. Susan Collins said she thought the x learned a lesson when she conceded her conviction vote in the first impeachment. She was correct, he did and the lesson was not a good one. Anyone that has raised a child free of temper tantrums understands this.

As far as who should be making what decisions about how the war is prosecuted, sure, the golden rule does apply. The suppliers of weapons can control the pace and direction of the conflict. That said, this is a proxy war for freedom (as Ukraine has properly framed it). You either support it financially with little restriction (read - stay out of Russia as we are not supporting a land grab) or you support increasing the suffering, death and destruction in Ukraine. Only the Ukrainians should be determining what concessions, if any, are ever made as they have to live with the consequences of those decisions. I simply can not image the pain and guilt that would be involved with a concious decision to give up territory to an entity that considers the people in that territory to be sub-human and treats them that way.

I'm not a "big thinker" when it comes to right and wrong. There are always nuances but they should never be used as a distraction/excuse to do "wrong". In my experience, the correct path is seldom the easiest.

It's like saying the US used nukes so there is precedence for our using nukes. In one respect, it is an accurate statement. In another, it is completely nuts.

Indeed, in WW2 the Empire of Japan conducted a sneak attack on American territory w/o a prior declaration of war. The USA ended that conflict 3.5 years later with 2 atomic weapons used on Japanese territory.

If one were to follow his analogy, what Putin is saying is that Ukraine would be justified in using atomic weapons on Russian soil to put an end to this long slog of war. Let's be clear who was the aggressor, and who was the target of that attack.

So not what Puttie had in mind I think, but he is completely nuts. So there's that... :p

USA:s vice foreign minister Wendy Sherman:
”…we know Russian officials and proxy authorities in Russia controlled areas of Ukraine are systematically forcing population transfers in violation of the Geneva convention. We know they have compelled more than 1 million Ukrainian citizens including 260,000 children to leave their homes and move to Russia. Some of them are being “re-educated“, others will be forced to live with Russian families thousands of miles away from home with no way of knowing what happened to their real families…”
Time stamp 23:24

Here’s me selling my Tesla to unassociate myself with this the morally bankrupt person…. Gonna happen as soon as I can get my hands on a new Chevy Blazer, or, or, or…. Done with this Jerk. So sad to see so much talent wrapped around an idiot. I was a fan but this guy is sick in so many ways it can no longer be ignored by thinking people. I for one can no longer support his destructive path through the universe. Really wish I hadn’t bought this vehicle as nice as it is. Total jacka$$
talk about shooting yourself in the foot.....your Tesla is the best EV in the marketplace!

Do you really think that GM's Management is pristine?

btw: the population transfer atrocity, ie kidnapping, deserves much more focus by press/Governments.....

Here’s me selling my Tesla to unassociate myself with this the morally bankrupt person…. Gonna happen as soon as I can get my hands on a new Chevy Blazer, or, or, or…. Done with this Jerk. So sad to see so much talent wrapped around an idiot. I was a fan but this guy is sick in so many ways it can no longer be ignored by thinking people. I for one can no longer support his destructive path through the universe. Really wish I hadn’t bought this vehicle as nice as it is. Total jacka$$

Elon screwed up here, but what you are doing is akin to a husband punishing his unfaithful wife by cutting his dick off :)

The West already caved because every leader repeat and repeat again that they will not actively attack any Russian troops on the ground or in the air. They can rape babies and put in on tik tok but the West will not actively go rescue them. This is the power Russia already hold, therefore they do atrocious things on the ground.
Yep, it was a poor initial message to send.

In 2014 she became CEO.
In 2015 they ran this Superbowl ad:
And then she later told Congress that well, there's nothing they can do, people want larger vehicles, wah, we can't hit tough fuel economy targets.
Utter bullshit. They _want_ to sell larger vehicles, because people will pay more for them and they spend a lot of money on advertising to encourage people to buy them.

GM later joined the Trump administration lawsuit to oppose CARB's proactive approach to emissions:
CARB's right to set emissions is codified in the Clean Air Act, and they wanted it because they couldn't trust the Federal government to do the right thing in the USA's insane system of government.

CARB ZEV mandates are the only reason why GM has the Bolt. As soon as it had the Bolt coming it began working on dropping the Volt, which was by far the best PHEV on the market. The Gen 2 Volt's range was _just_ good enough to earn maximum 1.3 credits and they lobbied to allow it to be a BEVx. Had CARB allowed them to treat the Volt as a BEVx, maybe they'd still be selling it. But maybe not, since the Bolt earns 4 credits so each one is worth just over 3 Volts.

The difference between Musk and other CEOs is that he speaks his opinion in public. Oh and that his companies are actually trying to do really difficult things that if successful will radically improve the world.

There are plenty of reasons not to buy a Tesla, but the CEO isn't an important one of them. If Tesla were a private company, I'd say go for it. There are private companies I don't do business with because of their owners, but Tesla is a public company.

I think that complaints about Elon do not belong here
I respect your opinion and would happily ask moderators to open a new thread for this issue, I don’t mean to annoy you or anyone else. But by tweeting what he did less than 24 hours ago, Elon took two big steps into the geopolitical arena. His words got retweeted by Zelensky, Medvedev (😱!) and hundreds of other politicians. This morning I opened my favourite Dutch news web site and am greeted by a fresh article about it, with hundreds of negative comments about Elon and Tesla.

That pains me so much because even though we here have an understanding of Elon’s motives (by observing him closely over the last years), and know that he most likely has pure intentions (I’m convinced all he wanted to achieve here was help avoid further conflict), the majority of people do not know him in a positive light. And that is the sad truth.

My aim is not to bitch about Elon as you put it, but rather fairly criticize him for the mistakes he makes, and praise him for the good things he does. He represents our interests in the company after all, as chief executive officer. That’s our job as investors.

I would gladly keep Elon as the CEO of Tesla until his death (content with life and on Mars) in ~30 years. But I fail to see how he manages to do that by being both the CEO of a publicly listed company and being an outspoken person with a Twitter account. In my opinion the two don’t coincide.

That’s your opinion which is fair…. For me, I feel dirty every time I get in this car. Is GM Clean…. Hardly. But Musk, who has proven himself a sick little man on so many fronts has way to much influence. Another cultish figure we don’t need in our world. Mary B at least has the smarts to keep her worst thoughts to herself. You know, control beyond toddler level. A reasonable filter imposed on ones self as to not use your power to stir the pot. An adult. I respect that. The MY won’t be the best EV on the market in very short order…. I’ll be selling mine soon. Like I said, that’s me… Others are untitled to their own machinations on the topic. Like I said, really too bad this company has to be dragged down by Musk. They should fire him.

I’m gonna leave it there…. Enjoy!
While I agree it s embarrassing to be associated with someone who says so many stupid things, the fact is he has probably done more to keep UAF in the fight than any other private corporation or rich person in the US if not the world by providing Starlink access, and for free. I think he really thinks he is being helpful even if in reality he is being far from that. So I'm not parting with my Sig X or my TSLA shares because of it, but I really do wish he'd STFU and stay in the lanes he is actually qualified to play in.

Elon, bless his heart, once said to his first wife Justine, "If you were one of my employees I'd fire you!"

The irony now is of course, if Elon were one of his own employees, that he would undoubtedly fire him.

There is always a danger in someone getting a too swollen head from their own success/press/supporters. History has many examples. Elon would be a far more effective leader if he had somebody on the back of the chariot whispering that he's still very much a mortal. This isn't said because I'm antagonistic towards him but just the opposite.

The mission of Tesla is bigger than any one person.

Mary B at least has the smarts to keep her worst thoughts to herself.
I'm not much of a Jew, but I do subscribe to a tenet I learned at home: deeds matter a lot more than words. In deeds Tesla/Musk have given UKR Starlink at a company cost of about $80M. Barra ? Diddly squat ... other than money spent on lobbying for GM subsidies and litigation to delay mandated reductions in CO2 emissions.

If you want to carry on this conversation, please start a new thread.

That’s your opinion which is fair…. For me, I feel dirty every time I get in this car. Is GM Clean…. Hardly. But Musk, who has proven himself a sick little man on so many fronts has way to much influence. Another cultish figure we don’t need in our world. Mary B at least has the smarts to keep her worst thoughts to herself. You know, control beyond toddler level. A reasonable filter imposed on ones self as to not use your power to stir the pot. An adult. I respect that. The MY won’t be the best EV on the market in very short order…. I’ll be selling mine soon. Like I said, that’s me… Others are untitled to their own machinations on the topic. Like I said, really too bad this company has to be dragged down by Musk. They should fire him.

I’m gonna leave it there…. Enjoy!

GM still owes US tax payers BILLIONS for the last bailout. I won't ever consider a GM vehicle until that is repaid, in full, with appropriate interest.

You put Musk on too high a pedestal. Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of overall good and progress.

Regarding Russia/ Ukraine-

Really, @SFNM Jack,

What did Elon DO?

There is a general Elon Musk thread to discuss his general actions if they don't apply specifically to the Ukraine topic

My aim is not to bitch about Elon as you put it, but rather fairly criticize him for the mistakes he makes, and praise him for the good things he does. He represents our interests in the company after all, as chief executive officer. That’s our job as investors.

Fair comments. I don't want to marginalize them at all, but to keep this thread focused on the war in UKR. In that spirit I want them in a separate thread.

Sounds fine until the nukes part

I think a better outcome is negotiate,...
How? Is there any evidence at all that 'negotiation' can work in this case?
The fallacy in all the traditional thinkers is that they think possible to negotiate with people who think and believe they are acting with Divine authority. One cannot negotiate with God!
The only easy way to read current Kremlin thinking is to read Alexandr Dugin, several of whose books are here:

Reading these, mandatory reading at Russian military schools, will explain how 'negotiation' works in present Russian governmental environment.

Summary: don't even Think that they will stop before they have all Russia:
That means everything that ever was part of the Russian Empire.

Negotiate away, I'm sure they'll settle for Sonoma County California, Alaska, bits of the rest of NorthWest North America, plus obvious Russia like Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Hungary, and so on. Ukraine is strictly an internal conflict, after all, even though some of you unenlightened people don't know it.

Read Dugin, then you'll understand their thought processes.

End: There is no choice! Fight until they're defeated. Hope that they are sane enough to not totally destroy their own interests. Nobody knows if sanity can prevail, but there is no prospect for negotiation any more than there was with Hitler. This time there are quite a few 'true believers' who will continue after Putin would be deposed. I really, really hope I'm wrong...but, living among 'true believers' for long parts of my life convinces me otherwise.

Last edited: