Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RV TT-30 to EV 14-50 Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK, TT-30 outlets are ONLY used in places where you might find camping trailers. Older and smaller trailers natively plug into TT-30 outlets, while newer and bigger ones like to plug into 14-50 outlets.

Actually a lot of the Class C RVs require TT-30 outlets including AFAIK all Mercedes Sprinter based RV's including ALL Winnebago Views View Overview | Winnebago RVs. The reason many of the "smaller" Class C RV's only require a 30A 120V TT-30 outlet is they only have one HVAC unit... and only have room for the "smaller" 3.2kW diesel or 3.6kW propane generators. The much larger Class A RV's all have multiple HVAC units which require 50A 240V 14-50 outlets.

Most commercial RV parks provide (1) TT-30 outlet + (1) 14-50 outlet on the same power "pole" at each campsite. However some awesome scenic National, state and county parks only supple TT-30 outlets and limit RV lengths... So Tesla camping or charging in these locations or at someone's house who has a TT-30 outlet for their "small" RV or camper trailer will require a TT-30 adapter for your UMC.

Also if you're preparing for a long term power outage (hurricane, flood, earthquake, forest fire, Zombies, etc.), have an RV with a TT-30 outlet coming from it's generator, and need to recharge your Tesla then you'll be glad you have a Tesla charging capable TT-30 adapter. This is especially important since Tesla's are probably Zombie shelters if you have the Bio Weapons Defense option. LOL

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Can confirm. Each time I've actually charged from a 30A dryer outlet at a destination, the UMC was not long enough to reach on its own. Fortunately, I had the 50A Camco extension cord and had built several adapters based on your guide, so just needed to dial down the amps in the car. Tesla wasn't selling 30A adapters at the time, so there weren't many alternatives. Since then I've picked up most of the Tesla adapters, but in practice, the pigtails get used because of the need for the extension cord.

For safety, it would be better to use the Tesla 14-30 adapter on the UMC end, to eliminate the possibility of ever drawing more than 24 amps. That would mean doing one of the following:
1) cutting the neutral (L-shaped) pin off the Tesla 14-30 adapter, as has been suggested elsewhere, to let it plug directly into the 14-50 extension cord.
2) making a 14-50P to 14-30R pigtail for the UMC end of the extension cord. That would avoid any destructive adapter modification, but would likely increase resistance/loss by adding another segment with connections on each end.

Anyone have experience using either of these methods with the Tesla 14-30 adapter?
You don't have to completely remove the neutral prong from the Tesla 14-30 adapter, you just have to grind off the angled portion. Then it will go in any 14-series socket and properly signal 24A max charging.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Amazon sells TT-30 plugs and cable, and surface mount 14-30 outlets to adapt to Tesla's 14-30 UMC plug. Or you could have one made for you by EVSEAdapters.com.
That company makes a “NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds”. See NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

They make three versions: with a 2 ft length cord, with no cord, or an “ultra-compact design” with no cord. Pretty nice.

Reactions: Rocky_H
That company makes a “NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds”. See NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

They make three versions: with a 2 ft length cord, with no cord, or an “ultra-compact design” with no cord. Pretty nice.
The "ultra-compact design" version looks identical to the one Amazon sells. EVSEAdapters doesn't claim to make that one; they "stock" it, and I suspect they could be sourced from the same manufacturer.

One thing to keep in mind is that a well-used campground outlet may not be able to hold up the combined weight of a TT-30 adapter + Tesla 14-50 adapter + UMC cord, so you may want to carry a piece of heavy corrugated cardboard that you can fold or cut to make a support stand if needed. The dogbone-style adapters with a cord usually avoid this problem, but I notice this one is at a right angle to the blades and so may not fit if the TT-30 outlet is in a weatherproof box of some kind.

@ Cosmacelf if you check the adapters I referenced you will find they are built specifically for Teslas. Home Depot has the same one as acconnectors.

I did not see a TT-30 adapter at your link. There was a NEMA 10-30 adapter, but this thread is for the TT-30.

Home Depot customers are quite likely to use adapters they purchase for RVs, and an EV adapter for TT-30 will not supply power to an RV. EV adapters for 240 V outlets can fry all of their 120 V RV appliances with 240 V power. Maybe Home Depot also sells EV versions, but I haven't seen one yet.

I will repeat Cosmaclf's warning to be careful when purchasing adapters to be sure they are wired for the intended use. For EV charging it is best to do it yourself or buy from a site that specializes in EV adapters, like EVSEadapters.com or quickchargepower.com.

GSP

One thing to keep in mind is that a well-used campground outlet may not be able to hold up the combined weight of a TT-30 adapter + Tesla 14-50 adapter + UMC cord, so you may want to carry a piece of heavy corrugated cardboard that you can fold or cut to make a support stand if needed. The dogbone-style adapters with a cord usually avoid this problem, but I notice this one is at a right angle to the blades and so may not fit if the TT-30 outlet is in a weatherproof box of some kind.
Excellent point, thanks for your post! Things are not always as simple as they seem...

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
did anyone report that this one from HD works or does not work ?
I wouldn't recommend that one anymore though. I wouldn't recommend any of these anymore that convert a 30 amp plug type into a 50 amp receptacle. You are replying to a 1 year old thread. This was before anyone was making adapters for the mobile connector that send the signal to set the amperage level correctly.

The site EVSEAdapters started making Tesla-like adapters that plug into the body of the mobile cable, and they have the sizes resistors in them that create the amp signal that the charge cable uses. Here is the one for a TT-30 that will tell it to use the appropriate 24A.
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2