Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S85 Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car: early 2013 S85 w/ 144K miles, originally with "B" rev pack

Pack: Remanufactured "D" pack replaced when my car was at ~93k miles (module failure)

Currently 90% yields ~231 miles of rated range. This is about 4-5 miles above my original pack before it failed, which was ~226 @ 90%.

I agree that your sudden 20 mile drop is not normal, either in it's rapidity, or in the resulting overall pack capacity.

I know this thread has been done before, but I am looking for some fresh data. For the S85 folks out there, whats your milage, and whats your 90% rated miles. I am at 101,000 miles and my 90% is 203 rated miles... That seems too low, but I want some more data points. I still love the car!! Appreciate the help! Cheers!!

If you had a sudden drop, it's a good bet that several of the 96 strings failed completely. Use TM Spy with an ELM 327 bt dongle and cable to snap shot the voltage screen of the 96 strings and post it back here.

Last edited:
Two words, executive escalation.

submit it from your my tesla account, may take a week but it will go to the top and then come down to get looked at and fixed if needed.
Yes, @Piney999 , this is definitely the thing to do, but it may be a little unclear how to do it, as it's a little hard to find. Go to your My Tesla account on their website. Next to the picture of the car at the top is a button that says "MANAGE". Click that, and it opens up a page with a lot more options. Go down to the section that says "Support". There is a dropdown box with two options, either "This is a general support enquiry" or "Escalate this concern for executive review". Tesla added that to their contact form about a year ago for this very type of situation, where owners had a significant issue that was being blown off or not addressed by first line employees.

So, I would probably describe it in pretty good detail and even paste in a link to this thread. Describe how you've been collecting this information about what the common level of slight degradation is, so you know there is some gradual reduction, but you have a very unusual sudden loss of about 20 extra miles beyond the normal small losses which are to be expected and other owners have. You have asked for help at service centers and they have been blowing you off and refusing to even check on it. Also, this is a thing for all types of escalation--don't just complain, but specify what you're asking for. Say that you want them to contact your regional service manager and make sure they have someone call you to come in and check the status of your battery pack.

So, I brought it up to the service center again, and was immediately dismissed and told "well, degradation is normal in electric cars" Like I'm a total moron. Without even knowing who I was, or looking up my VIN, they just said, "Ya, thats normal"...... Which I am convinced it is not. How do I push the issue? Is there a question I need to ask, or some data I need them to pull to verify it? I feel a little in the dark on this, where I know something is wrong, but I have no idea how to prove it. Thoughts appreciated!

Did they ever run diagnosics on your battery to tell you if you had a bad module?

Reactions: Rocky_H
Did they ever run diagnosics on your battery to tell you if you had a bad module?
The first time I brought it up, they told me they ran an "Over the Air' check of the battery and it checked good. The second time I brought it up, i was told about how "battery degradation is normal' and they didn't offer to check it out. The SC is 4 hours away, so its an event just to get the car there.